PDA

View Full Version : Roebling Video

pballance
11-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Here is a video of most of my 1:28 lap at Roebling over the November 3rd weekend. I left a lot of time out there :( but I didn't walk away :D

The timing loop is in 4 but I edidted this vid from start/finish. By all means, critique my lack of driving skill. I was coasting to much and lifting where I didn't need to and from now on, I will tape my practice laps and review before qualifying/race to try and get better. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S30JsAhmJ9s

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving!

Paul

pballance
11-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Ok, I give up, 50 views and NOBODY is telling me how to drive! :P :P

I expected better out of this bunch so here is the full 3 laps of my last run. Now tell me what you think :D I know a certain British V-8 driver will :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQoQdS2UHfY&feature=related

Ron
11-25-2007, 12:08 PM
OK here is what I see.

Turn 1 brake a little deeper, drop a gear and stand on it through one, get down to the apex flow out to the outside and brake for 2.
Turn 2 good late apex.
Turn 3 super late apex to set up for braking for turn 4
Turn 4 get down to the apex get back to the gas sooner and flow out of the turn
Turn 5-6 not bad
Carosel good late apex
Pit entrance your tun in was way to early, this turn is a gut check but once you get it it becomes easy.

I have never driven an ITS car there so I don't know about the power/ lift needs. In my ITB car I have run in the 26's and I was lucky enough to win the SARRC championship race there in 2005. It is the one track I do feel I can get around pretty well. If I new how to do the video thing I would post one of my laps. I need to work on that.

Carlos Gutierrez
11-25-2007, 04:22 PM
OK here is what I see.

Turn 1 brake a little deeper, drop a gear and stand on it through one, get down to the apex flow out to the outside and brake for 2.
Try to carry as much speed (MPH) into T1 as you can; as Ron said, brake later and modulate to get off the brake pedal sooner and onto the gas quicker by the apex. T1 is a very fast sweeper rather than an actual "turn".
Turn 2 good late apex.
... apply throttle a little sooner as you turn into T2
Turn 3 super late apex to set up for braking for turn 4
[/b]... quicker on the throttle.
Turn 4 get down to the apex get back to the gas sooner and flow out of the turn ...Yep
Turn 5-6 not bad
Carosel good late apex
...apply throttle sooner, 1/4 to 1/2 to full throttle by the apex
Pit entrance your tun in was way to early, this turn is a gut check but once you get it it becomes easy.
[/u]I also turn in early here sometimes; remember, the challenge for a fast lap at Roebling is full throttle-no lift from the apex of the carousel to the number 2 marker going into T1. Adjust air pressures, swaybar settings, whatever needs to be done in order to accomplish this. A little loose is faster than a push. Understeer kills your lap times at Roebling
[u]
I have never driven an ITS car there so I don't know about the power/ lift needs. In my ITB car I have run in the 26's and I was lucky enough to win the SARRC championship race there in 2005. It is the one track I do feel I can get around pretty well. If I new how to do the video thing I would post one of my laps. I need to work on that.
General note; less hard brake and quicker onto the gas works for any car you drive. The longer you're on the gas, the quicker your lap time.
Good luck,
Carlos Gutierrez[u]

JeffYoung
11-25-2007, 05:23 PM
I think that inline 6 sounds great, is what I think.

Seriously, nice lines. You seem to have the flowing nature of Roebling down.

I'm not real fast there, 24 is my best. Perhaps Steve E. or one of the other guys who runs in the 22s there can give you a better critique. I will just say that I have picked up time at Roebling as I have learned to (a) drive deeper into 1 (and really have the braking zone be after turn in); (B) go flat out through 3, and © go flat out through 8/9 onto the front straight.

Hope you make the double there in April. It's an extremely fun track to race on.

pballance
11-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Now that is what I am talking about. :026:

Points well taken and I should have reviewed the video while I was at the track. Yeah, I did a better job on turn 1 last February. Believe it or not, I was carrying 4th through 3 and through 4. In hindsight, I should have just carried 4th through 3, brake and drop to 3rd and on the gas faster into 4 and around through 6. This was also the first time, evan with early turn in at 8, that I was only barely lifting once hitting 4th coming out of 6. Just s slight modulation and then I was flat all the way to 1.

Car was not pushing at all and was only slightly loose for me.

Thanks for the help and comments guys, keep them coming. :D I need one of those z pilots to weigh in with a little more specifics for the Z. With your continued support I will be there in April!

SPiFF
11-25-2007, 09:01 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1356993481646263461

Here is my FWD ITS car at Roebling. There is a 1:25 in that vid somewhere.

Your lines look pretty good to me, just looks sounds like you are off the throttle for long periods of time.

pballance
11-27-2007, 01:09 PM
all good, keep it coming guys. I am still waiting on the "Steve's" to weigh in. ie Ekerich and Parrish. :P

seckerich
11-27-2007, 04:21 PM
So you just poke us with a stick till we come out of our hole!! :D

FWIW Drive into 1 until you think you need to brake--go another 200 ft and smooth trail brake.
You left pavement on the exit of 2--that is lots of time.
If you are not turning right through 3 push gas more.
Late-Late- apex in 4
looks good through the back side.
Got to get the nerve to be way late turning onto the front stretch and no lifting--ever. 10-15 mph at end of straight.
Have fun.

Now go back and read the advice Carlos gave you--excellent.

Parrish57
11-27-2007, 07:08 PM
Ouch! Who poked we with that stick?

Paul... First of all, great video! I really like the camera location. I need to do something with mine.

I'm reluctant to weigh in too heavy, I haven't driven the track since the new pavement was laid down. Also, it would be hard to give better advise than you've already gotten. That being said, I can't overemphasize the importance of keeping your right foot fully planted to the firewall coming onto the front straight. And as you get faster you'll understand what everyone is saying about a LATE APEX. If you early apex with a full head of steam the track out point will be somewhere just left of the pavement. If this ever happens to you don't try to snatch it back onto the track right away. Keep it straight until you slow down a bit then gradually get it back on. (Trust me). If you just get a little better every lap you won't have to worry about that.

I'm looking forward to seeing you out there next year. I plan to run the double SARRC at Roebling in April.

Steve

pballance
11-27-2007, 10:51 PM
I have been known to poke around long enough to make even moles pop their head out and then :bash_1_:

Just kidding, I really do appreciate ALL of the input and I have not discounted any piece of advice that has been given. I truly respect the opinions of all of you and look forward to learning even more when we are on track together and you guys "school" me but really good! :D

SteveE, I was mostly poking at you since you didn't get to run the neat Hillclimb you worked so we could play. Thanks again.

Parrish on the other hand, I was hoping he would catch my shift into 4th between 3 and 4. And yeah, I quess I wasn't any where near fast enough since I never had to turn right through 3.

Thanks again to everyone and I will bring the beverages when we are at the track together so that I can "pick your brains" even more. And yes, I have learned from long years of practice if you get the lawyers drunk, they will spill the beans and then forget what they revealed. Here's one for you Ron, Carlos, Jeff, SPiff, and 2xSteve's :birra: :birra:

seckerich
11-27-2007, 11:57 PM
You are welcome. Now get that school done and come to the National at CMP in Feb and run the CCPS race. Good track to get started at.