PDA

View Full Version : So what's everybody going to do....ECU?

IPRESS
11-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Now that we can change to a custom ECU setup what are people going to do?

Andy, I guess you already have your solution.

Colin, MegaSquirt?

Bowie, as fast as you were in Atlanta you should be fine already!

Anybody else?

What about Colin's cow catcher is anybody else going to put one on? I myself am not sure I could keep from destroying the thing every weekend. The two splitters I used are not in very good shape at this point. T3 or T5 at RAtlanta looks like splitter killers! Colin says it is good for 1.5 there. I could use 1.5!

After getting a dose of that NE / SE car / driver talent, looks like we need work on both down here in Cowboy territory.

ddewhurst
11-21-2007, 03:27 PM
***After getting a dose of that NE / SE car / driver talent, looks like we need work on both down here in Cowboy territory.***

Mac, you cowboys also need to work on your grammer. That thingeee you call a splitter is actually the horizontal element of the spoiler/air dam. :o

benspeed
11-21-2007, 03:51 PM
How's this for irony - I just had a meeting with Steven Mitchell of Australia, whose family used to own and operate Haltech. He was obviously enthused about the rule change and was very familiar with SCCA club racing.

We spent more time talking race cars than his new real estate ventures we were supposed to discuss.

It all comes back to racing, don't it??? :D

IPRESS
11-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Heck David, we are just a few years removed from using smoke signals down here. Be glad I didn't refer to it as nose sword! :P

RacerBowie
11-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Now that we can change to a custom ECU setup what are people going to do?

Andy, I guess you already have your solution.

Colin, MegaSquirt?

Bowie, as fast as you were in Atlanta you should be fine already!

Anybody else?

What about Colin's cow catcher is anybody else going to put one on? I myself am not sure I could keep from destroying the thing every weekend. The two splitters I used are not in very good shape at this point. T3 or T5 at RAtlanta looks like splitter killers! Colin says it is good for 1.5 there. I could use 1.5!

After getting a dose of that NE / SE car / driver talent, looks like we need work on both down here in Cowboy territory.
[/b]

I'm completely retubbing, and doing whatever ECU Cameron decides is best. We're also building an airdam to get the air off the tires, etc. The Pumpkin was fast. Pumpkin V2.0 is going to be better in every way!

There is no way an airdam is good for 1.5 seconds at Road Atlanta though.

dj10
11-21-2007, 05:42 PM
How's this for irony - I just had a meeting with Steven Mitchell of Australia, whose family used to own and operate Haltech. He was obviously enthused about the rule change and was very familiar with SCCA club racing.

We spent more time talking race cars than his new real estate ventures we were supposed to discuss.

It all comes back to racing, don't it??? :D [/b]

Ben, did he say anything interesting? I've been hearing that a custom chip is as good as a ems when it comes to ultimate legal power.

cmaclean
11-23-2007, 09:27 PM
I'll be definitely going with the Megasquirt. DIYAutoTune have a plug and play unit for the Miata. I'll be going with another splitter/airdam also. The one I had was unbelievable as far as downforce goes but it unbalanced the car since the rear created lift. However the lap time data showed a clear 1 second difference with and without it. I will be custom building one that's not as close to the ground and is more geared towards reducing lift and drag than creating ultimate downforce. When mine broke it tore the front end off the car (ouch)

jhooten
11-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Take the couple grand the after market ecu would cost me and spend it on seat time.

BlueStreak
11-23-2007, 10:27 PM
CIS - hand built mechanical computer ;)

Andy Bettencourt
11-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Not sure what we will be developing now that I don't have to jam the dang thing into the box...I have the cow-catcher and will test it if the car is still around.

Turkflyer
11-30-2007, 12:40 AM
The "Nut" behind the wheel is the biggest problem right now with my car.....I'm working on that problem over the winter so I can chase that Fast Ole Fart from Ft. Worth next spring!

bldn10
11-30-2007, 09:31 AM
I'm not real keen on spending over $1200 just to be able to keep up w/ the guys I run w/ now, who also will have spent $1200+ just to keep up w/ me, assuming I spend the money to keep up w/ them. :blink: Ain't progress great? Anyone want to buy an ex-SpeedSource RX-7?

zracre
11-30-2007, 09:45 AM
I think its great..us honda guys have had it pretty good with the Hondata systems. This will make it easier for others to have the same tuning capabilities. I am going to try and expand on what I have now and see how it goes with my car V1.5.

Greg Amy
11-30-2007, 10:34 AM
The Nissan B13/B14 guys (NX, Sentra SE-R, 200SX) have Calum Johnson to thank for his CalumSult system (http://www.calumsult.com). It uses a daughterboard welded on to the factory ECU mommyboard, and his "RealTime" system incorporates real-time on board diagnostic and tuning capabilities. Unfortunately, it is subject to the limitations that the factory ECU is, and he currently using someone else's software that leaves something to be desired (he's working on that last part).

I suggest the easiest solution for anyone is the MegaSquirt system. Some of you, such as Mee-otters, are lucky in that companies are already building plug-in solutions. DIYAutoTune of Suwanee GA (http://www.diyautotune.com) offers one for Mee-Otters that even uses the factory MAF plug as the input plug for the added MAP sensor... I'm sure DIY (and others) will begin to offer more solutions for higher-volume cars, now that the ECU rule has been opened up. - GA

dickita15
11-30-2007, 11:29 AM
"So what's everybody going to do"

I am thinking of adding an Abacus to my carburated Rx7. <_<

shwah
11-30-2007, 11:38 AM
I&#39;m going to do more testing/tweaking of the chassis setup, and build an airdam to keep the air off the front tires.

I will keep the continuous injection system I have now, but will re-wire the engine bay to repair the scary looking wires.

BlueStreak
11-30-2007, 01:41 PM
"So what&#39;s everybody going to do"

I am thinking of adding an Abacus to my carburated Rx7. <_<
[/b]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think once the re-wording to kill the idea of a "mechanical computer" gets done the whole Abacus following will collapse :lol:

buldogge
11-30-2007, 06:00 PM
I wasn&#39;t going to get anything new...but...now that Bill&#39;s buying something for $1200, I&#39;m gonna buy something for $2500 at least (it is a BMW after all)! :P

I&#39;m not real keen on spending over $1200 just to be able to keep up w/ the guys I run w/ now, who also will have spent $1200+ just to keep up w/ me, assuming I spend the money to keep up w/ them. :blink: Ain&#39;t progress great? Anyone want to buy an ex-SpeedSource RX-7?
[/b]