PDA

View Full Version : Minivan for towing

Bob Roth
11-18-2007, 09:23 PM
I have had 60,000 trouble free towing miles with my '93 Pontiac transport towing a 3500 pound open trailer carrying my crx or del sol. However its time to consider a replacement. My choices would be a freestar or an odyssey. I would not be interested in a astro. I would appreciate any comments or recommendations. Pls advise your thoughts and

1. how heavy is your trailer with car loaded.
2. What year and model is your van.
3. Do you have stock shocks and have you added air springs?
4. How is the handling with trailer
5. What kind of MPG

ps for anybody considering minivan towing, there is a lot to recommend for the transport. I am seeing 16+ mpg at 73 mph and with bilstein struts and air springs, it handles well. For a dirt cheap to vehicle, they work really well. The 3800 v6 and 4 spd transmission may be the most reliable drivetrain out there, and it is about 500 pounds ligher than current vans..However don't check on the front impact rating.......

tks
bob

BlueStreak
11-19-2007, 10:56 AM
If you are stuck on those two, it's gotta be the Honda. The freestar is a pile of ......... Ford makes some great vehicles, the freestar isn't one of them.

crushed
11-19-2007, 11:04 AM
I think you should reconsider the Astro.

924Guy
11-19-2007, 12:33 PM
I've been quite happy towing with my Chrysler minivan - 2000, AWD, 3.8L, all stock. Excellent for the whole rest of the year, etc, driving in the winter; quite reasonable functionality for the few (10 or so) times I tow with it. Plus it's plush, heated seats, etc., of course!

Definitely would advise against the POF (Piece of Ford). Just on general principles. I know too many Ford engineers, and have been exposed to too many Fords.

But think again about the Chryslers; one of my neighbors from around the corner is a Spec Ford racer; he's also one of the development engineers on the minivans, and we've chatted quite a bit about using the vans for towing... he uses his to tow, and has taken pics of my rig, and this IS factored in to the design!!

Specifics... my rig is about 3800# (2400# ITB car, 1400# trailer - relax, I only tow locally - the midwest is VERY flat, and I borrow big trucks to tow long-distance, like the ARRC). As stated, I've got the '00 Chrysler T+C Limited, AWD, 3.8L, solid rear axle and leaf springs (unmodified, no air shocks, just the stock load-leveler shocks, 106kmi now). Handling is, IMO, AWESOME - but that's probably helped by having moved up from an '86 Suburban with 150+kmi!. Always feels fine towing. Gets around 22mpg combined normal usage, around 16mpg towing (when I drive like a granny - no reason to floor it!).

Bob Roth
11-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the chrysler recommendation. If you were to pick a year and model, what would it be and why. I would appreciate any comments regarding what is the best year, engine, transmission combo. Also, I assume 4wd was there already and not a requirement, if you think it is, let me know.

Also, does anybody know when the dreaded transmission problems ended, ie which years to definately not buy?

bob

924Guy
11-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Yes, AWD (not 4WD) was already there, but preferred - not for towing, but for my winter usage! But that is how you get the solid rear and leaf springs! ;)

I've heard the trannies are a toss-up - you either get a good one or you don't... mine just seems to have been happy. I picked '00 because it was a pretty good price, and one of the last years of AWD. I wouldn't care about having AWD if I were further south or had another vehicle to drive in the winter; wouldn't even mind FWD so much, with good traction control and tires...

Z3_GoCar
11-20-2007, 03:03 AM
I think you should reconsider the Astro.
[/b]

I'll second the Astro. I tow with a '94 S-10 with the 4.3l V6 and 4-LE60. This is the same transmission used in the 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. Also being in California I climb passes towing about 5000 lbs with this truck. Sure maybe a 1/2 or 3/4 ton wouldn't slowing down as much, but I'm still faster than most semi trucks. I also still get about 14mpg while towing up those passes. It's much more stout than any of your other options and not as clunky as a full size van. My dad has a caravan that's on it's third transmission, the second held for about 60k untill it litterally cut itself open and locked up solid. In contrast I've got 180k on the same motor and transmission.

James