PDA

View Full Version : Endorsement

tbtapper
11-16-2007, 10:50 AM
I would like to offer an unreserved endorsement of Chris Ludwig's programmable Mazda FACTORY ECU.

The benefits of this unit are many but in inverse order of importance to me is: Price (apx $500), instant plug and play with FACTORY harness, control of Fuel/Timing/Split, Data logging of numerous ECU parameters, total legality regardless the outcome of the "open ECU" proposal.

I have been chasing a variety of engine problems all season. All of these problems were the result of stuff I "improved" without proper knowledge or understanding of the systems. I finally realized that fact and put stuff back the way it needs to be and voila the car ran for a full race without problems. Lesson learned.

With the installation of the LMS ECU I was able to immediately set parameters and fuel settings that allowed my car to idle (never did before) and correct the stuble I had while the engine waited for the secondaries to come in.

Coincidental to the ECU I installed an Innovate LM1 AFR. Without this unit I don't know how you can reasonably quickly zero in on the proper AFR and further w/o a programmable ECU you can't adequately adjust fuel pressure to get where you need to be.

So, with the LMS ECU logging engine parameters and also logging the analog AFR output from the LM1 you have a totally "tuneable" trace of AFR/RPM/MAP/injector duty cycle. With the LMS software you simply go into the cell at the rpm/MAP you wish to change and input the % change +/- you want and you're done.

I haven't messed with timing or lead/trailing split yet but this other is pretty impressive. Now, I'm hardly a techno geek but I am starting to understand how all this works and it is pretty easy to get hooked up.

Well, I bet I won my class at the ARRC right??

Problem is the ECU does not really "improve" your driving. Nor does it allow you to "adjust" 2 year old R3S05s.

All joking asside, my car ran "perfectly" the whole weekend at the ARRC. It's unlikely I'll ever challenge Huffmaster or Williams who ran in 1:39's but at low 44's with the funky old tires I should find a second or two with fresh 06's and that would put me playing with some of the faster guys.

And actually, the ECU does improve your driving, by providing a good strong running car that you can do stuff with and rely on it responding with everything it's got.

Try it you'll like it.

Travers
ITS 19

C. Ludwig
11-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the kind words. In addition to RX-7 units (we have S4 and S5 ECUs available now) we are working on a 1.6L Miata ECU with the same features. I'll post the details when they are available.

gpeluso
11-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Chris, do you have anything for the 99 miata yet? Let me know if you do.

Greg

leawil
11-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Ditto for the '94 Miata

C. Ludwig
11-21-2007, 05:15 PM
As far as the modified stock ECU similar to our RX-7 box we won't have anything for the 1.8 cars for some time. We do have several Haltech options though that range from piggyback, to plug-n-play standalone, to full re-loom standalone. These are all ready to ship right now. The standalone approach is obviously more expensive that the modified stock box but will offer many more features such as improved datalogging, greater resolution, CAN protocol comm for outputs to digital dashes. Pricing for the Haltech systems will range from ~$700 for the piggyback fuel and timing controller to around ~$1400 for the PnP or full loom standalone.

We've been using the Haltech systems on turbocharged street and autox Miatas for quite a while now so there isn't any mystery in install or setup. We can also support the variable cam function on the newer cars. ;)