PDA

View Full Version : What made the '07 race a success?

TAC
11-15-2007, 08:09 AM
O.K. gang. I'm trying this poll thing for the first time so I hope I get it right.

The discussions have started for next years race weekend, and of course our race committee members have differing ideas of what made it a success. So...I'm seeking input that I can print out and show to the group at the BoD. So Sound off and let your voice be heard.

Thanks for the input in advance,

Todd Cholmondeley
Cincinnati Race Chairman

dickita15
11-15-2007, 08:58 AM
It was tough to vote for one, although I did.
The fact that we got three races was the best.
Good track time was great, the PDX test day helped a lot.
Of course MO is a great challenging track.
We had three classes and a pretty big field which is about normal.
Never noticed any paddock marshals.
The only down side of the event was some organizational issued on the PDX which I am sure will get better next year. It was impossible to know what group was on track and what group should be on grid.
Honestly the impromptu drivers Friday meeting was a bit insulting.
Definitely worth the 11 hour tow.

tom91ita
11-15-2007, 09:34 AM
the level of competition and the fact that many travelled quite a ways. that and i (ITB) was not grouped with ITA and was able to watch that race! (edit: i voted "other")

everything you listed was good but, from my viewpoint, it was the next best thing to the ARRC with regards to times being close and many cars in class.

the many cars in class is something i have sorely missed the last couple of years running H5 with NASA.

there are many events at Mid-Ohio and, with the price of fuel, i have to be choosy. this is one of the ones i will choose for 2008.

my major plans for 2008 are:

IT Spectacular
GRM $2008 Challenge
ARRC

car prep and fuel budget will revolve around that.

gran racing
11-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Voting for just one item is impossible.

The good:

There are several areas, but...

Having three races was awesome! Well, 1 ¾ for me – thanks to Tom I got the ¾ of a race in. I would have been fine if they were all 30 minutes vs. a couple at 45 minutes.

Having you guys roaming the paddock, asking if everything was going o.k. and if there was anything else you could do to make the event more enjoyable – that was pretty amazing.

Victory laps – please keep this! Related to it, giving large checkered flags and nice trophies was fantastic.

Having tire vendors at the event: A must for next year as well.

Area to be expanded upon:

Post race tech: this was the first time I’ve had my fuel tested, which was cool. In order to take this event up to the level you want it to be involves an even further tech inspection post races. I am not saying pull the head off cars, but it doesn’t sound like it would be very difficult to check gear ratios based on the ARRC tech inspection, compression, and other items. How difficult would it be to obtain a cam doctor / inspect a few at the event?

Weak spot:

The PDX tech needs to be changed for next year; I do recognize this was a new thing for your region. If people have a valid racing logbook, don’t make it necessary to put their racecars through tech. I’ll leave it at that although it was my biggest complaint of the weekend and heard many grumblings from others about it as well.

As the event grows, be proactive to ensure that there are enough run groups so that racers are ensured spots.

Rabbit07
11-15-2007, 10:17 AM
Todd,

As I mentioned at the ARRC, I prefere the longer race format. I believe it tests the driver and the car at a level that a shorter race never does.
Please keep the 3 race format, that is awesome.
Having a Friday test session at Mid-O is great, unheard of for a regional before this year.
Please keep the run groups similar to this year aswell.
Post race tech should be a bit more intense, but please let's not start pulling engines apart. Perhaps check things like; Track, suspension, compression with a whistler, fuel, flywheels, ect.

I look forward to next year!

RacerBill
11-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Todd: I voted for 'all of the above'. I also agree with everything that the others have said.

I did not see any 'roving paddock marshals', although I know that all the locals went out of their way to make the travelers welcome.

I guess what I thought was the best about the weekend was meeting all the new racers. Can't wait until next year.

Racerlinn
11-15-2007, 05:22 PM
The only race change I have heard that I agree with is to make the Sunday morning race sorter - say 10 lap sprint to sort things out for Sunday afternoon.

924Guy
11-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Definitely all helped, though I will admit the 3-race format is a big one for me...

R2 Racing
11-16-2007, 12:13 AM
Lots of races, lots of track time, and lots of great competition. You can't ask for much more than that. Well, the firing of bottle rockets over top of Downing's area was pretty sweet too. However the lighting of my t-shirt on fire while doing so was not.

I'll also vote for nice, unique trophies, a podium presentation, victory laps, trophies only going to the top three spots, and more in depth impound/tech inspections. All of those things add to the credibility of seeing this event as "championship caliber". For the impound, I said even before the last IT Fest that there are a lot of non-evasive tests that can be done that are quick and easy and won't cause anybody to have to take anything apart. We rely on the ARRC to tear down engines (or we should be). At the IT Fest we can look at things like ride height, splitter legality, illegal camber/caster/toe adjustment, suspension location points, too many additional chassis stiffening braces, intakes, etc. All of that stuff would be quick and easy to judge, but are just as important as checking compression ratio.

RSTPerformance
11-16-2007, 12:43 AM
I voted all of the above, however race format was great!!!

Although the must do's for next season IMO are:

SPLIT STARTS... (your stewards need some education on what those are). Even after the ARRC this seems to always be a hot topic and most seem to feel that they BENEFIT the racing experience... I know I certainly do, and I am still dumbfounded by the lack of knowledge the chief steward had in reguards to this (at IT Fest). :rolleyes: :dead_horse:

More intrusive Tech inspection, I am glad they checked daves gas, but I am not sure his checkard flag holder is legal ;)

Warm up session for Sunday morning so that when people have problems Saturday they have a chance at getting it fixed and tested before the sunday AM race otherwise the weekend championship is over for them. :bash_1_:

Raymond "Thanks for listening" Blethen

JLawton
11-16-2007, 07:47 AM
Todd,
I voted all of the above even though I didn't see the marshals either (or maybe I didn't realize they were and thought it was people just being friendly??)

- We were made to feel very welcome by you and the rest of the organizers!! This is a point worth repeating.....over and over!!
- 3 race format is at the top.
- The one thing that made it enjoyable for me was the respect everyone showed on track. People were there to have fun, not bang doors with each other
- Test day/PDX was also key for those of us who had never been there before.

Rabbit07
11-16-2007, 07:55 AM
- The one thing that made it enjoyable for me was the respect everyone showed on track. People were there to have fun, not bang doors with each other
[/b]

Ditto!

lateapex911
11-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks for "forgetting", Chris!

Oh, and as for me, I agree with all the praise, and even the criticism about the PDX. Having to get the car teched ...even though it had an annual, seemed silly, and a huge waste of the organizers time. Perhaps next year, if the rules that SCCA demands be followed are so obtuse, the day be split into PDX and test sections. Mid Ohio runs the test, and the club runs the PDX. That way, each pays for the insurance coverage they think is needed, (but only half) and everyone is happy?

Catch22
11-23-2007, 04:57 PM
It was one of the best events I've ever seen, and I hope the format stays the same for the future.

I only really have 2 suggestions:

1. Shorten the Sunday morning qualifying race. Maybe 20 minutes? Keep the 45 minute afternoon races and make them a higher points value.
2. Use both track configurations. Use the chicane one day and don't use it the next. Spices things up a bit and adds an extra challenge to the weekend.

Honestly the format is awesome. It may need a few tweaks, but it doesn't need to be *changed*.

Cobrar05
11-25-2007, 01:54 PM
This is just my two cents, but when you are doing a national type event where you are attracting entries and drivers who are either at the track for the only time in a given year or the first time ever, don't monkey with the track.

Leave it one way or the other.

My advise for the event would be the same. '08 will be my first attempt at this event. I would prefer getting used to it not be a moving target.

I would say that an ARRC style Enduro might be nice.

Catch22
11-29-2007, 09:36 AM
I would say that an ARRC style Enduro might be nice.
[/b]

I have to disagree here.
The multiple race format and using race results to set the grids for later races is what makes this event special.
I'm not the only one that thinks this event could surpass the ARRC within a few years as being the Holy Grail for IT racers. The format makes it HARD to take an overall win, as you have to perform well in multiple races. As the event grows in popularity and the competition gets as stiff as it is at the ARRC, this is going to be one awesome event.

I would strongly suggest not changing the format at all, and the poll here would seem to back that up.

TAC
11-29-2007, 11:39 PM
The three race format will remained unchanged for 2008. Besides two 22 lap races and a 15 lap qualifying race equals 141.5 miles at Mid Ohio, not to mention Saturday morning qualifying :)

Think of it as one big enduro with plenty of rest in between :birra:

Todd

Andy Bettencourt
12-20-2007, 12:31 AM
The three race format will remained unchanged for 2008. Besides two 22 lap races and a 15 lap qualifying race equals 141.5 miles at Mid Ohio, not to mention Saturday morning qualifying :)

Think of it as one big enduro with plenty of rest in between :birra:

Todd [/b] :eclipsee_steering: