PDA

View Full Version : ITA ARRC Saturday Sprint Race Grid

Greg Amy
11-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Once thing I've not seen mentioned anywhere, is "what happened at the post-lunch ITA grid"?

For those that don't know, the schedule showed a 1:00 race for ITA on Saturday, the first race after lunch. Traditionally, in SCCA racing that means we are to be in our vehicles, ready to roll off the grid at the listed time. As a result, we were watching the clocks closely, and at 12:50 I bolted myself into the car and slowly cruised to the grid.

When I got to the grid, well under the appointed time, it seemed EVERYONE was scrambling, with drivers quickly trying to get their helmets on and belted into the cars. As I was backed into my spot I asked the grid worker "what's going on, are we under the Five or something?" and he replied, "we are WELL into the five, very nearly at the One".

Since I was already belted into the car all I had to do was get my helmet and gloves on, and I did so just in time for the One. Several other drivers weren't so lucky; in fact Kevin Fandozzi in the Neon, gridded in eighth right next to me, didn't get to the grid until we were just starting to roll off, and he was placed at the back of the pack.

Frankly, though I got over it by the green, I was pretty pissed-off at that situation. There's NO WAY that we were given the One at 12:59, unless someone had set their clock forward by at least five minutes (and our trailer clocks gets their time from satellite-based atomic clocks, so they're DAMNED accurate). Even so, with virtually EVERY driver on the grid scrambling in some form or fashion, and several competitors missing, why didn't we go ahead and show a little consideration and give folks a few more minutes so we could all compete as we had qualified?

I'd completely understand if we were subject to a live TV broadcast, or if the supps had said something like "time indicated is 'green flag' time", but unless I miss my mark neither was the case. This is Club Racing, and we all want to enjoy this.

So, what happened? Why was virtually the entire ITA field caught off-guard in terms of roll-off time, and, given this, why wasn't there consideration to let everybody get their ducks in a row?

Curious in Connecticut...

Butch Kummer
11-13-2007, 06:10 PM
I was unaware that had happened and will find out the cause at next Monday's Race Board meeting. Sounds very similar to what happened at the 2006 Runoffs in FC, and I was pissed about it THEN.

I'll let you know what I find out...

Gregg
11-13-2007, 06:19 PM
All I know is that lunch commenced at approx. 11:50am so I made sure to be on grid by 12:45pm just in case. I made the '5' by about a minute and was hella surprised.

I guess they were still playing catch up after giving Group 3 a 10-minute '5' before their first qualifying session on Friday. :blink:

Butch Kummer
11-13-2007, 06:36 PM
I just went back and looked at the official schedule and the start time for the Group 5 race is "1:00 (approx)". With the BFA experience from the Group 4 race, I imagine the Tower was trying to get started as quickly as possible in case things went south in the afternoon races. Since the lunch break started at 11:50, they obviously gave the five-minute warning at 12:50. I'll do a better job of writing the schedule in 2008 to remove that confusion.

All that said, I agree some flexibility could have been demonstrated, particularly since the TV coverage is tape-delayed. :blink:

BTW - not your battle but the last couple of days I've been dealing with some Big Iron drivers who are irate about their race being checkered after 12 laps instead of 20. Cars being scattered all over the track (the worst case being one sideways with the front tires on the pavement at the bottom of the Esses) was the reason for that one, but some think the Tower was quick to pull the trigger there as well.

I'll be back when I find out more...

lymanator
11-13-2007, 06:37 PM
That was very confusing. From my three visits to Road Atlanta this year, when I hear "Group X, this is your first call to the grid," I get down there, usually with everything in place besides my helmet on my head. I did the same for the ARRC race, and when I got to grid, we were already under the five (Greg can probably attest to this, I was scrambling like hell to get into the car). There were even a couple cars across from us on grid that I was sure weren't going to make the race.

R2 Racing
11-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Yea, they did give the "5 minutes" at about 12:50. Luckily I got down there early and was standing over by Joey's car when they gave it. Both of us had a "WTF?" look on our face, but got into our cars. Once I got in and all ready to go, I remember watching everybody scrambling around and cars rushing into place. When the pole car rolled off, the clock in my car said 12:54 and I could see that some cars never made it to their spots. That kind of pissed me off too. Like Greg said, it's not like we were trying to catch our TV spot or something.

Miata49
11-13-2007, 11:33 PM
I was sitting there ready when they called the 5 and at least 5 cars weren't even in grid by that time. I thought it was early as well. I went down to grid before they even called for cars and only sat there for a couple of minuted when the 5 was called. I checked my video and the green dropped right at 1:00.

wbp
11-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Perhaps this start time was like a corporate pilot explained to me after leaving a scheduled passenger behind. A "7:00 AM Departure" means tires lift off the runway at 7 AM, not show up at the airport at 7 AM.

I'm somwhat of an expert at this as I was finishing the last couple of bites of my lunch at Rockingham, when I heard race cars - my group going on track! It was an Enduro so at least I had two laps to try to catch the field - with a red face.

Conover
11-14-2007, 11:15 AM
BTW - not your battle but the last couple of days I've been dealing with some Big Iron drivers who are irate about their race being checkered after 12 laps instead of 20. Cars being scattered all over the track (the worst case being one sideways with the front tires on the pavement at the bottom of the Esses)
[/b]

Yeah, then they throw the checker and the guy at the bottom of the Esses fires his car up and drives away? Seems like maybe he could have moved it instead of just sitting there.

fiat124girl
11-14-2007, 11:26 AM
That was unexpected and disappointing. Grid should have communicated this to the tower that all of the drivers were scrambling. We left our paddock space at the first call and got there at the 1. Silly...

Drew Aldred
11-14-2007, 11:40 AM
This is a common problem with being the first group after lunch. If I'm in that group, I'll take note of when the last group is done, add an hour to that and plan on being at grid at that time. Also note that when "firm" times are listed on race schedules that time listed is a green flag time, not a "get to the grid time"

Not being there, I may not have all the details. Seems at worst a first call to the grid over the PA at 12:40 would have eliminated this problem.

cmaclean
11-14-2007, 01:46 PM
I've raced at Road Atlanta many, many times and this is the first time this has ever happened to me. Typically they will call everyone to grid at least 15 minutes before the 5 minute warning. Everyone I know waits for this announcement then starts to slowly get ready to get down to the grid. Lunchtime is always variable at Road Atlanta, it starts after session X and ends before session Y. There was no way to know what time lunch was ending since no-one on the PA informed anyone. I was sitting in my paddock spot eating my lunch in my regular clothes when I heard the whistle for the 5. I have no idea how we made it to the grid on time.

IPRESS
11-14-2007, 05:10 PM
I was paddocked by Kevin and actually told my bunch, "I will go when Kevin goes he is way ahead of me on grid". :rolleyes:
Both of us were caught unaware as I heard the one minute whistle when we turned on to grid. It took me a while to get my helemet and Hans hooked and I think I caught the tail end in T7. After getting up to 11th by the end I was over being mad. When I looked at the results sheet I figured most everyone above me was faster and I would have been lucky to finish any higher from my correct grid position. Kevin on the other hand had a chance to really contend. Bad deal for him. Don't remember what RA does every time I have been there, but first group after lunch (at most tracks) get a couple of calls to grid. Maybe I just didn't hear them. Either way i will be early next time.

cmaclean
11-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Kevin on the other hand had a chance to really contend. Bad deal for him. [/b]

I would normally feel bad, but under the circumstances... I don't (http://www.flyinmaclean.com/punt.wmv) :bash_1_:

fandozzi
11-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Greg - Thanks for bringing up a topic that most people (other than me, and oh sorry Mac, by the way) had forgotten. I screwed up, no doubt. But that being said, I heard the first call to the grid, while I thought it a bit early, started to get ready to head down.

Five minutes later, I'm turning to the grid, with the workers jumping up and down moving me into position. I saw the entire grid full of people, but they were being pushed aside by the workers.

I knew I was in bad shape when I saw the one, and they were still moving me into position. Oh well, you'll see me waiting to get on the grid next year for sure, hopefully a few spots closer to the pointy end.

That aside, another great year. Congrats to everyone.

Kevin

KelleyHux
11-14-2007, 09:53 PM
The other trick is to find your friendly group of flaggers (usually found in their bright whites somewhere near the concessions) and ask them what time they have to be "green and ready" after lunch. Most times, flaggers have to be on station about 10 minutes prior to the session roll off.

Kelley Huxtable
DMVR F&C
"PLAY SAFE"

CaptainWho
11-15-2007, 12:53 AM
At Road Atlanta, you can also update your scanner to include the frequency for EVNet's infield repeater. You should hear Race Control give them a "Time on Station" at the end of the last morning session.