PDA

View Full Version : 2008 ARRC by GRM Planning

Butch Kummer
11-13-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm not sure why the "Innuendo" topic was locked, but it's probably better I start a new thread to keep this info from getting lost there... :D

Since it's revival in 1994 as the "National Championships for Regional Classes", the ARRC by GRM has certainly undergone some changes. We've always had the core IT classes (ITA, ITB, ITC, ITS - plus ITD in the beginning) and over the years have added both local and nationally-recognized classes to help build the car count. I don't have results back to 1994 when we started this event, but I did go back to 1999 to look at some participation trends (this is Sprint races only).

In 1999 we had 151 total entries, and the core IT classes made up 113 of those - ITA = 28, ITB = 22, ITC = 21, ITD = 3, ITS = 39.

We first recognized IT7 in 2000, and even though that's not a GCR class they ARE ITA legal so I'll include them as a core IT class.

2002 was the first year Spec Miata got it's own group, which we created by combining ITB & ITC. ITC participation had dropped from 25 in 2000 to 14 in 2001 and we couldn't justify giving them a group of their own when we had 38 Spec Miatas wanting to play. At any rate, we had 203 total entries in 2002, of which 90 were the core IT cars - IT7 = 12, ITA = 21, ITB = 19, ITC = 16, ITS = 22.

This past weekend we had a total of 294 cars turn a wheel for the Sprint races, and IT made up 81 of those. IT7 = 7, ITA = 30, ITB = 15, ITC = 7, ITR = 4, ITS = 18. We also had 50 Spec Miatas of the ASM or SSM variety (I fully recognize that Spec Miata is NOT Improved Touring, but you gotta figure many of the SM drivers came from the IT ranks).

So the number of "IT-type" cars has grown over the years, but the real growth has been in the non-IT groups. I'm sure that some will argue your numbers would have increased even more had we stayed with the core IT-type cars, but I also hear from the non-IT cars that we're giving y'all preferential treatment since you get to run three races over the weekend while they (one of which is me) only get to run one! And STILL their numbers have increased dramatically.

Bottom line on this whole discussion - don't hold your breath looking for us to cut back the non-IT classes. This year we had four IT-centric run groups and four non-IT run groups. Expect that to remain in 2008.

Based on observations and comments this past weekend, these are my action items for 2008:

. We REALLY need to be able to use the Pro Paddock as well as the current one. This introduces and whole new set of logistical challenges, but I think I've figured out most of those (hint: morning sessions from one side of the front straight, afternoon sessions from the other).

. We REALLY need to work with Road Atlanta to be able to start parking rigs by 2:00 on Wednesday.

. From the other thread, I gather the ITB drivers want full tear-downs of the entire class after every on-track session, even on the Test Day. :P (Be careful what you ask for). Seriously, I accept that we need to be equally diligent in all classes and I'll work with our Tech Staff to make that happen.

Oops - I forgot to mention that when the BoD mandated last year that only the 24 most active classes would attend the Runoffs, we changed the underlying philosophy of the ARRC to "The National Championship Event for Non-Runoffs Classes." If they stay with that plan we'll be adding GP & GT-3 to the mix in 2008, but that won't affect your four run groups. We also expect this event to grow in prestige with GRM's renewed involvement in promoting the event in 2008 and beyond.

As far as Raymond's plan to run local events because the competition is just as keen, I fully understand that fuel prices are not likely to go down anytime soon. I'm going to be cutting back myself in 2008 and may very well run nothing but Road Atlanta events. Of course another way to read Raymond's statement is, "I can get my butt kicked on my backyard, so why go all the way to Atlanta to get it kicked harder?" :rolleyes:

See y'all, and thanks for helping make the 2007 ARRC by GRM the best one yet...

Greg Amy
11-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Butch, as I told you over a beer Saturday night, this event has always been the highlight of our racing "season". 2007 was absolutely no exception.

I'm always impressed at the way the event has been run, and flattered that the organizers are consistently interested in our feedback. As far as I'm concerned, spending part of November in Georgia at the ARRC will continue to be a "must have" to consider the year complete. As long as you keep giving us a great weekend, we'll keep spending the money to get down there.

Thanks for the hard work, we'll see you in 51 weeks (and counting)...

Greg Amy
KakashiRacing.com

Cobrar05
11-13-2007, 03:59 PM
Butch,

Great event. With the ARRC I am not sure I will ever need the runoffs. I appreciate that the ARRC lets us run our Mustang in the enduro and it was a wonderful experience.

Greg,

I stopped by your car on the grid to say hi and there was some other guy in your car. Sorry I missed you.

Greg Amy
11-13-2007, 04:54 PM
I stopped by your car on the grid to say hi and there was some other guy in your car.[/b]
Damn, sorry I missed you too, but you should have kicked that rat b*****d outta my car! Unless, of course, he was supposed to be in there, I guess... - GA

IPRESS
11-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Great Job Butch.

Hey this is the first time I have had an ender on the IT BB. (The other thread.) Use to lock'em up over at the SM BB now and then. :D

RSTPerformance
11-13-2007, 07:23 PM
As far as Raymond's plan to run local events because the competition is just as keen, I fully understand that fuel prices are not likely to go down anytime soon. I'm going to be cutting back myself in 2008 and may very well run nothing but Road Atlanta events. Of course another way to read Raymond's statement is, "I can get my butt kicked on my backyard, so why go all the way to Atlanta to get it kicked harder?" :rolleyes:
[/b]

:birra: You got me on that one!!! lol

Butch, thanks for listening. I have made the treck to the ARRC 3 times, once as a spectator and 2 times as a driver/crew. The event is certainly TOP NOTCH and overall anyone that is local should be absolutely proud to be a part of a group that puts on this caliber event and do such a good job.

I am glad that you recognize that many of us whom follow SCCA IT racing closely (why do we do this again???) pay special attention to the ARRC to really show us whom a National Champion is, and that you recognize that those of us watching expect that National Champion to prove themselves in the tech shed. Remember those of us "watching from home" only see what is on paper... Being at the event is completely different feeling than watching it from home.

As I grow older I seem to make a heck of a lot more money, but the racing budget seems to get a lot smaller. It is very very hard to justify 5 or 6 local weekends of racing for 1 weekend.

Again, thanks for listening to those people whom are not "regulars", but wish we were...

Raymond

R2 Racing
11-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Butch - I didn't really know where to post this and didn't want to make a whole thread about it, so I will here.

I personally thought the track announcers were absolutely awesome this year! Having entire-track track-side announcing by "pro's" like Greg was just really cool. While some of us couldn't be out watching a particluar race because we were maybe prepping for our own, it was great to get to hear the announcement of the race from around the entire track. I really liked that.

But that leads me to a question: Is there any chance that those broadcasts were recorded and could be made available to us? I think that would be great if people could download and listen to them. Both for those who maybe weren't there to see the races themselves or maybe for those who won or something and would love to have a copy of "the call".

jinxcrx
11-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Butch.....
Yes ...Great event.
Please explain, if possible, why the steward/committee is set
against allowing split starts. Let the small classes race with
class cars. That is the attraction of the event. I was shocked
that not only this promise was dismissed but she did not even
think before answering. You were also silent. I don't believe
the small classes mind being on track together but we still
could compete with each other within class.
It might bring back some missing entrants.
Thanks....Jinx Jordan

Butch Kummer
11-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Kevin - getting Greg Creamer to the event was something that just sorta "happened". He actually drove at a couple of the first ARRCs and has always had a soft spot in his heart for Road Atlanta, so he cut us a deal on his expenses and we took him up on it. I agree that it added a LOT to the weekend! Scott Conway is Ed's son and has always done a great job for us in the past as well. They worked together really well to give us full track coverage. Next year we'll see what we can do about getting Winner's Circle interviews on the PA.

Unfortunately, I don't believe their broadcasts were recorded, but I'll check next Monday at our Race Board meeting.

Jinx - I'm not sure why Sue is so dead-set against split starts, but at least she's consistent. I personally think a split start can be a double-edged sword. Some of the GTA drivers wanted a split start with the SPO guys, but I argue that all that means is that the faster GTA guys will be catching the slower SPO cars earlier in the race. It could work out well if all the SPO cars are faster than the GTA cars (substitute the classes of your choice), but that rarely happens. I suppose we could improve the odds by creating more speed disparity in the groups (ITA with ITC, ITS/ITR with ITB, etc.), but recall the furor when I did our original 2006 groupings (I don't even remember what they were right now).

I've slept since then, but I don't recall split starts ever being promised. Item 14 of the Supps says split starts MAY be given at the discretion of the Chief Steward. And I wasn't entirely silent - I told you there certainly would NOT be a split start for Group 1! B) BTW - I thought I did a decent job of just showing UP for the Driver's Meeting and being relatively calm considering 15 minutes prior I'd just wrecked my friggin' race car!

Finally, we ARE proud of the job we do at the ARRC by GRM, but just as there's no such thing as a perfect lap there's ALWAYS something we can do to make the event better. Not soliciting input from the drivers (our customers) would be like changing something on the race car without asking the driver what s/he thought the car was doing! :D How can we make it better if we don't know what it's doing?

See ya...

dj10
11-13-2007, 11:34 PM
You might want to think about holding the awards dinner inside where your food doesn't get cold and your not freezing your ass off if gets windy and colder. I couldn't stay because of this. Just a suggestion. :D

Great time great event!

wbp
11-14-2007, 10:36 AM
I don't think the Chief Steward at the ARRC is is either Pro or Anti split start. But she certainly is Pro "Do it by the GCR". The GCR (6.2.3.A) recommends a split start " - - -where there is a large differential in speed or cornering ability between classes - - -".

Having a personal interest in the group 3 which included ITB and ITC, I looked into whether the race justified a split start by the GCR. Nope! The fastest qualifer in ITC, Vesa Silegren, was 9th overall in the field of 27 cars. And in the race the ITC winner finished 7th overall, ahead of over half of the ITB cars. The cornering speed issue was pretty well settled when the SRX7 cars were allowed R rated tires.

I remain a fan of split starts, but I also strongly support "follow rules in the GCR, and Supps, but no others".

I'm already looking forward to an even better ARRC in 2008.

fiat124girl
11-14-2007, 12:36 PM
We had an absolute blast, thanks to all that put this great event on. It makes it well worth the drive from Missouri.

We did not get dinner either night because the food ran out, that was the only real downer.

By the way, thanks for ordering the great weather :)

R2 Racing
11-14-2007, 07:07 PM
We did not get dinner either night because the food ran out, that was the only real downer. [/b]

I heard that happened to a lot of people which really sucks, because the food this year was daaaaaamn good!

Butch Kummer
11-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Sorta off the topic of 2008, but the SCCA Radio show "Shifting Gears" was devoted entirely to the ARRC by GRM last night. Other than forgetting to mention our presenting sponsor (Grassroots Motorsports), I thought they did a very good job. It's the first time I've listened to the entire hour of the show.

Go to http://www.racinboys.com/home/video_list , then click on Shifting Gears - 11/14/07.

JeffYoung
11-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Jennifer, I have NO idea what you were doing goofing off in Atlanta. You have a transformer factory to run.

Parrish57
11-15-2007, 12:57 PM
As a spectator this year and hopeful for ITS next I'd like to give a big thumbs up on the event this year. I too loved the PA race coverage and thought the announcers added substancially to the races. Recording the PA would be good but a webcast would be even better!!!

fiat124girl
11-15-2007, 01:11 PM
Jennifer, I have NO idea what you were doing goofing off in Atlanta. You have a transformer factory to run.
[/b]

Trust me, I did not really get away, they had me online and on the phone for most of Thursday.

You should have joined us, it was great fun as usual.

JeffYoung
11-15-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm a laugning -- I figured that was the case. I don't think I've ever had a vacation that was not interrupted by your employer.......

I'm headed to the ARRC next year. Hope to see you there. Which car(s) did you guys run and how did you do this year?

Cobrar05
11-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Look forward to seeing you and the 8 at Road Atlanta next year. I've enjoyed watching you and your TR8 several times this year.

Xian
11-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Butch,

Thanks to you and all the others that helped put on a great event :happy204:

Based on observations and comments this past weekend, these are my action items for 2008:

. We REALLY need to be able to use the Pro Paddock as well as the current one. This introduces and whole new set of logistical challenges, but I think I've figured out most of those (hint: morning sessions from one side of the front straight, afternoon sessions from the other).
[/b]

What if all the "wings n' things" and ground pounders were put over in the Pro-pits? They seem like the ones who often have the least ground clearance and most problems getting in and out of the club pits and up and down the hills. They're also the ones with gearing that damn near prohibits them from keeping a walking pace in the paddock.

I'd imagine they'd be happy with their own "place" and I know that the IT drivers I mentioned this to over the ARRC weekend thought it was a good idea. :023:

Christian

mavis
11-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Hey Butch- Great event. It was nice to meet you in person. We were at the 1997 event and ten years later the weather was certainly better. I know that fuel is expensive as heck. We had a budget for towing fuel that was eaten up on our way there alone. However, I'd encourage everyone who is thinking about going to attend next year. I've been to the Runoffs for the last 2 years and while it is much closer to our home the ARRC gives drivers much more bang for the buck.
I'd also like to inform anyone traveling to the ARRC next year from the west to beware of I-20. I know that the Texas folks I talked to were a perfect 3 for 3 in towing calamaties. Maybe next year all of us from Texas can coordinate our trips so we all have enough spare trailer hubs, tires, welding equipment, etc.

DHR
11-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Rob,

Great job on your Endro win and 2nd over all.

Did you get any photos of the sprint race for our web site

Brion G
ITO o7
2nd at the ARRC 07 Sprint

Cobrar05
11-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Actually, I shot that race focusing on Lester, Pete, Gene and even you. :)

Send me an email at [email protected].

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/txpd/boss%20rebuild/The%2005%20Car/IMG_6396.jpg

Nomex95
11-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Butch,

great job. It was the 4th time I have been to the ARRC. Each year I have more fun. I was worth the trip from NY and the plane fare for my girlfrienf to get home in time for a job on Monday. I had a question that you might be able to help me with. I wound up finishing 3rd in the Enduro in ITB after the #20 was given a couple of laps for an early pitstop (that happened to me last year, life is a circle). #20 took home the 3rd place trophy, I don't get many trophies and have not needed to build a trophy room yet. So i would like to get the trophy for i have made room for it on my shelf and in my heart. do you guys try to get it for me or tell me how to get it from those guys, we were talking, they were really good guys and clean racers, it was fun racing with them so I think they would want to give it back.

thanks,
charlie gerundo #95 ITB

tom91ita
11-19-2007, 09:22 AM
forgive the newb question, but is the ARRC always the 2nd weekend of November?

i am preparing for vacation requests for 2008 and want to know if it will be 11/7, 8 & 9.

tia,

tom

Butch Kummer
11-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Charlie - I'll make sure we get you a third place trophy.

Tom - We haven't signed the contract with Road Atlanta yet, but count on the 2008 ARRC by GRM being Nov 7-9 with a Test Day on Thursday, Nov 6.

fiat124girl
11-19-2007, 02:43 PM
I'm a laugning -- I figured that was the case. I don't think I've ever had a vacation that was not interrupted by your employer.......

I'm headed to the ARRC next year. Hope to see you there. Which car(s) did you guys run and how did you do this year?
[/b]

We took our 1989 Nissan 240Sx but broke an oil pump so didn't get to finish the weekend but we had a great time. I can't wait for next year.

To get a real vacation from ABB you have to go somewhere that has no cell service. :)

Nomex95
11-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks Butch

look foward to making the trip again next year :eclipsee_steering:

regards,
charlie

Sandy
11-26-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm on the ARRC Committee and at the recent race board meeting I discovered that some ARRC trophy winners thought the trophy stands with the sweeping hook were an odd companion to the medals. For those of you that have not figured it out... the stands are to hang the medal on when you are not wearing it around your neck. Just remove the ribbon and hang it on the hook. Oh, this is the only forum I view and that isn't often. If any of you visit other forums that had drivers at the ARRC, please share this info.

Sandy, the paddock queen and other misc. jobs

77ITA
03-27-2008, 07:42 PM
I'd also like to hear more about the dates for 2008. I've got to put in early for the vacation time :)

Butch Kummer
03-28-2008, 10:58 AM
. Test Day on Thursday, Nov. 6
. Qualifying and Pro-IT race on Friday, Nov 7
. Championship (Sprint) races on Saturday, Nov 8
. Enduro and perhaps a "feature" race (class(es) TBD) on Sunday, Nov 9

77ITA
03-28-2008, 11:37 AM
thanks for the dates.. I've got vacation time requested now!

I really hope there is a large ITR field this year... I've pretty much dedicated my entire year's free time and budget to building the S2000 and my only real goal is to have a good showing at the ARRC.

:cool:

TAC
04-02-2008, 06:56 AM
thanks for the dates.. I've got vacation time requested now!

I really hope there is a large ITR field this year... I've pretty much dedicated my entire year's free time and budget to building the S2000 and my only real goal is to have a good showing at the ARRC.

:cool:

Quite frankly it would be nice to see a large ITR field anywhere this year. Call your fellow ITR friends and enemies and coordinate. :happy204: