PDA

View Full Version : Registering your out-of-state trailer in Maine

DaveITB1
11-08-2007, 11:27 PM
I have heard that a resident of a state other than Maine can legally register a trailer in that state at a very large savings. Looking at the Maine.gov website, it appears to be 1/3 the cost of registering my race trailer here in NY.

Does anyone have any info on this process?
Has anyone else do this?

Team Jagermeister has just purchased a 2-car trailer and we are looking for ways to legally save some scratch on registering it.

Thanks in advance.

- Dave

gran racing
11-09-2007, 09:42 AM
I always wondered why when looking at big rig trailers on the highway, they were only from a few states...

Richie Hunter (who owns a trucking business) and Jake G. let me in on their secret. There are companies where you appoint as the power of attorney for this transaction, and it's totally legal obviously in the trucking business done quite frequently. I did it for my trailer last year and it was a very simple / painless transaction. For the life of me I can't remember the company's name. Jake G., do you know it off hand?

lateapex911
11-09-2007, 07:09 PM
It's the Stabb agency in, I think, Booth Hill, ME. I used it as an end around, as my trailer is a 1987, and CT would NOT register it because it has no title. It was previously registered in Mass, and THEY don't require a title for an old trailer. CT however, as a ladder shoved up their butt, and wasted hours of my time waiting in line after line just to tell me "Tough luck buddy, think of this before you buy your next trailer".

I called Maine. 8 years of registration for $100, plates delivered the next day. CT always makes themselves look like idiots compared to every other state when it comes to the DMV....

Z3_GoCar
11-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Gee Jake Cali must be a close second. They make non-residents change their drivers licenses if they're in state for more than 10 days. So say you've got a 3 month contract to work here, you've got to change your drivers license and smog and register your car here.

James

DaveITB1
11-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Thanks Guys. :023:

I'll check out the Stabb Agency. I do have a title with my trailer.

Jake -
$100 for 8 yrs. Was that price dependent on the trailer size?
I just bought a 32' Haulmark gooseneck.

Dave Austin
MoHud Region
ITB #1

DaveITB1
11-12-2007, 01:34 AM
I found their website.

http://www.staabagency.com/

Jake-
Do I have to register it under a company name, or can an individual register a trailer?

Dave

DaveITB1
11-15-2007, 07:24 PM
OK all,

Here's the dillio.

To Jake G's point, the agency that he used is:

STAAB AGENCY
Shirley St. Pierre / Statutory Agent
P.O. Box 942 / 259 Goose Hill Road
Jefferson, ME 04348
800-648-8805 Tel.
207-549-7541 Tel.
207-549-7638 Fax
207-549-5138 Fax.
[email protected]

In case the attached documents do not come through properly, here's an outline of the attached documents that were faxed to me today:

Staab Cover - The Staab agency is a Statutory Agent that represents out-of-state individuals and companies at the Maine DMV in order to obtain a Maine license plate for your trailer. Maine is a 15 year title state. If your trailer is older than 15yrs, all you need to show is a Bill of Sale or a prior registration. If it is newer than 15 years and more than 3000lbs dry weight, you must provide them with a copy of the existing title already in your name, or an original title to be titled in Maine. Under 3000lbs is exempt. You must provide them with
1. Phone Number, Date of Birth if an individual customer, or Federal ID if a company.
2. Correct amount of money (Check or Visa/MC accepted)
3. The Power of Attorney for filled out, signed, AND NOTARIZED (paid by customer)
* Maine trailer plates expire on the last day of February for the year in which you register. The company will notify you prior to the expiration.

Staab POA - The Power of Attorney document. This allows Staab to act on your behalf in the State of Maine to license the trailer. The fees collected also apply to the titling of the vehicle in Maine. this document DOES NOT give them the ability to sell, lease, trade, utilize, or dispose of vehicles. POA fee = $20.00

Staab New Registration Form - Your registration will have your name at the top, with the Staab Agency's Maine address.

Staab Charges - Fee schedule for going through their agency.

Staab Annual Program - Fee schedule for registering annually.

Staab Long Term Program - Fee shedule for multi-year registration of your trailer.
Example:
5yr (1-9 trailers) $87/each
8yr (1-9 trailers) $138/each
12yr (1-9 trailers) $206/each

Same Day with Overnight service: 1-4 plates $20.00 per plate. 5+ plates $10 per plate.

Lastly, I asked the very pleasent lady if I EVER need to bring my trailer to Maine to be inspected. She replied that MAINE DOES NOT REQUIRE TRAILER INSPECTIONS.

I hope this info helps everyone. It seem like a no brainer for those of us here in NY paying big bucks YEARLY for our race trailers.

Regards,

Dave A.

It seems that all of the documents that I described above (and scanned), are too big to put up in my post.

If someone wants to host them on their website, I can send them to you. Each one is about 700-800K in size.

Dave A.

gran racing
11-16-2007, 09:11 AM
Yup, that's the company I use too.

jlucas
11-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Makes me wonder what the typical fees are in Ohio (since I'm picking up a trailer tomorrow).

lateapex911
11-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Why! The old one was too shabby for you???

jlucas
11-17-2007, 08:51 PM
That one belongs to Honda, not me.

Dave Burchfield
11-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Jeremy,

Depending on the weight of your trailer and analness of your local registrar, it could be anything from about $23 to $56+ annually. The registrar listed my 24' enclosed trailer as a commercial vehicle because it is over 3000 pounds and the license is something like $56 a year. I even told them that it was private and all but the response was that it all depends on the weight. I just might title my trailer in Maine in the next year.

I am aware of the way things are licensed in Maine, especially with vehicles over 15 years old. I now have titles for all my vintage motorcycles! A friend in Maine has sold me a number of them.

Dave

ed325its
11-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Dave,

I am interested in how Staab avoids the 5% Maine Sales Tax with the registration. Maine taxes everything. I was considering registering my new trailer in New Hampshire to save the tax dollars.

fastbenz
12-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Does this pertain to trailers only or can you also register a tow vehicle ?

DaveITB1
12-06-2007, 01:25 AM
Does this pertain to trailers only or can you also register a tow vehicle ?
[/b]

FASTBENZ-
Don't know about vehicles. Give a call to their office. Very helpful and friendly.

ED -
my plates will arrive tomorrow. I'll report back on the breakdown of the charges. When I spoke to the woman on the phone, she didn't mention anything about a sales tax, unless it is within the Power of Attorney charge. Let me investigate.

DaveITB1
12-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Fed Ex just dropped off the trailer plate.

Plate Stamped:
Maine Exp 2.28.13

Received 2 copies of the trailer Registration (My Name, their mailing address),
Application for Certificate of Title in Maine (to receive later)
C.Card Receipt for $162.75.

No specific line charge of Maine Sales Tax.

In my other hand is the NY Registration Renewal for my 16ft enclosed trailer : $60.25/yr.

I don't think so !!

ed325its
12-06-2007, 08:22 PM
That's a good deal for a 5-year plate. As a Maine resident I pay $18 per year for a max of two years. I will also have to pay a one-time sales tax of $250 on my new trailer.

DaveITB1
01-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Received my title back last week - my name, their address in Maine.
The plate has been on the trailer now for a month.
No problems. Quick. Clean. Easy.

Hope this helps others save some scratch to put towards racing.......

ScotMac
01-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Yes, Cali is horrible for drivers and cars. However, we have a *permanent* trailer registration. Register it once, and your done. I just went through it last year, and it was fairly easly. I had some manufacturer produced paper, w/ some numbers on it (no title). They verified the numbers, and gave me the permanent plate/title. I don't know how much i paid for it, but i don't think it was much. Also, i have no idea if they allow out-of-state reg....just found this CA DMV page on it:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5014_1.htm

lateapex911
01-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Received my title back last week - my name, their address in Maine.
The plate has been on the trailer now for a month.
No problems. Quick. Clean. CHEAP. Easy.

Hope this helps others save some scratch to put towards racing.......

Modded that for you....

DaveITB1
01-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Agreed.
Thanks Jake.

MCEDinNY
01-28-2008, 10:40 PM
In addition to all that information, I have specifically asked NY DMV "Can a person have a trailer registered in another state as long as it is inspected?"
They answered "If you want to know if you can tow a trailer that is registered in another state with a NY plated vehicle; the answer is yes as long as the registration on both is valid."
That was in July 07

almracing
01-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Learn something new everyday -

For NH, athough there was no sales tax, I am paying an annual Town Tax and trailers over 3,000 lbs need to be inspected every year. Maine could be an interesting option.

Edwin Robinson
02-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Agreed.
Thanks Jake.

I did this last month- so easy it wasn't even funny.
I SAVED approx. $350 over 5 years compared to N.Y. (approx 80%)

Thanks for the tip - the company mentioned is the way to go.
I'll have J.W. get you some beers the next time we meet up at the track.

~ER.

DaveITB1
02-02-2008, 10:57 AM
I did this last month- so easy it wasn't even funny.
I SAVED approx. $350 over 5 years compared to N.Y. (approx 80%)

Thanks for the tip - the company mentioned is the way to go.
I'll have J.W. get you some beers the next time we meet up at the track.

~ER.

Happy to help. :D
You'll probably have to Mapquest the directions for J.W. to find our trailer. :eclipsee_steering:
Word is that he's been spotted on many occasions drinking wine-coolers !!!!

MBI Trailers
06-26-2008, 05:04 PM
We also would like the oppurtunity of registering your trailers in Maine. We are a stautory agent of the State of Maine. call us at 1800 883 5181 and we will tell you why so many register their trailers in Maine. We want your business. Thank you ,Sam Kelley

dickita15
11-02-2008, 07:19 AM
I am reviving this thread to ask if anything has changed to make using this service a problem. Massachusetts has implemented a new trailer inspection service starting 1/1/09 that sounds like it is going to be pretty onerous. I think it applies to trailers over 3000 pounds. Any reason I should not switch to Maine.

RacerBill
11-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Makes me wonder what the typical fees are in Ohio (since I'm picking up a trailer tomorrow).

I think I pay around $75 per year for a 1300lb open utility trailer! Hmmmmmmmm.

x-ring
11-03-2008, 10:06 AM
I think I pay around $75 per year for a 1300lb open utility trailer! Hmmmmmmmm.

Ouch! I think I paid around $100 for a lifetime plate for my 7K open trailer and less than $200 for a lifetime plate for my 10K enclosed.

NutDriverRighty
11-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Don't know if this is much help or not, but thought I'd share the tiny bit I know.

I've purchased a couple of older motorcycles without titles. I have a friend who is in law enforcement run the VINs through the NCIC to make sure they're not reported stolen. From there, you can get in contact with ITS Titles in Las Vegas. For a fee (IIRC, it's about $165 for a motorcycle) and a bill of sale, they'll get you a new title and a tag from Maine. Take the title to the DMV in your state and transfer it and you're done! New title and your vehicle can now be tagged in your own state. This might help with the old trailer with no title mentioned earlier. Also, I don't see why you couldn't just leave that perfectly good Maine tag and title in effect (at least for a while). Since I live in NC and haven't followed through with this process yet, your results may vary.

Scott Franklin
www.NutDriver.org (http://www.NutDriver.org)

BUMPnGO
11-26-2008, 01:03 AM
Thx for this INFO....very helpful post!!!!

thorohorse
03-08-2010, 09:55 AM
I see it's been a while since this string has been active. Great info here from everyone that contributed.
My question is, Do you know if I could go through this process with a friend that is a resident of Maine and by doing so, avoid going through a company as well as their fee?:dead_horse:

dickita15
03-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Well I suppose so but you would have to do all the work. Get the forms, apply for a Maine title, and apply for the registration and of course your friend would have to forward everything to you. Unless you are really cheap (not that there is anything wrong with that) the fee is pretty damn reasonable.

lateapex911
03-08-2010, 02:48 PM
You'll have to use your friends address ...
Going through the agency and their service is SO cheap, such a smokin deal. And it works every time. Ideally have the thing registered in another name that's close to you, like your brother. That way, if you get pulled over, the trooper can't look at the registration, see your name and a Maine address while your dr. lic has your name and your home states address, and say, "Which is it? You live here, or in Maine?". Certain states (like CT) have laws against that. (Tax evasion).

biovic
03-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Wish I knew of the Maine trailer deal 6 months ago. If you think your state of CA, NY or CT is a rip off, here is the deal with Massachusetts.
My 18 ft open car hauler, registration in November was $100, I had to get the new 'inspection', another $100 (may have been $130), then my city charges me $5 excise tax. This is all for one year!!
The inspection is not very thorough, my tires are pretty worn (not really a good thing), but they passed it no problem, but slap an inspection decal on the front of it.

Victor
#03 ITA
Acura Integra

Acura of Peabody
HMS motorsport

jimbbski
03-16-2010, 12:28 PM
While Illinois has problems one thing it does have is easy trailer licensing. I have a 16 ft open trailer and it costs me $18 a year. Done! No inspection, no insurance.

nlevine
03-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Got my shiny new Maine trailer plate in the mail last week..

jcooks13
11-08-2011, 03:55 PM
I used this to register mine, it seems to be no problem in registering from NY.

krobbins27
04-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Ace Trailer Agency can register your trailer in Maine as they are an authorized Statutory Agent. Prices are reasonable and tthey have a quick turn around. (207) 489-9012.

Benauto
05-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Maine does have a title law for car newer then 1995. The 15 yr old policy is gone. If you need answers in Maine theres a Red Tape hotline for answers.....works well 1-(207)-624-7486. As a resident of Maine we love your money...keep sending it !

adamjabaay
05-01-2013, 10:50 PM
anyone know how registering a HOMEBUILT and still-titleless trailer would work in maine?

we built a 2 car flatbed last yeAr....been "using" it with my other trailers plates (Also homebuilt but has title now, jumped through tons of ilinois hoops)...we have insurance on it though, don't worry

should I just call em?

krobbins27
11-06-2013, 09:07 AM
anyone know how registering a HOMEBUILT and still-titleless trailer would work in maine?

we built a 2 car flatbed last yeAr....been "using" it with my other trailers plates (Also homebuilt but has title now, jumped through tons of ilinois hoops)...we have insurance on it though, don't worry

should I just call em?

Maine will register a homemade trailer the same as any other trailer. If the unloaded weight of the trailer is less than 3000lbs, no title is needed. If it is over 3000lbs, a title would be needed. In your situation, you already have a title, therefore, therefore, you would not need to title it. Maine could register it with a copy of your title.

I would call Ace Trailer Agency (207)489-9012. Their website is acetraileragency. com .

They would just need a signed & notarized power of attorney and a copy of your title to get you registered. 5 years is $100, plus $3 shipping.

I hope this helps.