PDA

View Full Version : Placement of numbers?

splats
11-06-2007, 09:45 PM
I have looked thru the GCR & can't find if placing the numbers on the rear door window glass is allowed.

All that I can find is,
1) "the windows must be clear or un-colored",
2) "the numbers must be on the side with the class adjacent",
3) "the numbers must a contrasting color".

Is there another rule that I missed?
I have (along with a lot of others) run with decals on my rear quarter windows for years. (ECR, etc.)

mbuskuhl
11-06-2007, 10:45 PM
"Each car competing in an event shall display the official SCCA field logo (see Figures 4 and 5) unobstructed and prominently on both sides of the car and adjacent to the side numbers."

I think your case is lost here. Figure 5 is where the SCCA decal goes, on tin top cars this is below the side view mirror area. Numbers on the side windows would not be considered adjacent to the SCCA decal.

See page 81-83 of the GCR for clarification and figure 5.

CaptainWho
11-07-2007, 09:53 AM
It may be allowed under the rules, or not. Even if it is, it's a bad idea practically. When choosing colors, placement, sizes, etc., for your numbers and class markings, consider that the easier it is for the folks in Timing and Scoring to read your numbers, the less likely there will be any sort of misinterpretations. This is also important for the F+C workers on the corners. Cars have been meatballed to get them to make their numbers legible. Often, putting them on glass really messes up the contrast between the numbers and their surroundings, making them hard to read.

Speed Raycer
11-07-2007, 10:29 AM
http://photomotiononline.com/image_store/full/2007-8-25-PDX_1803.jpg

I wouldn't necessarily call it illegal, but for T&S purposes, keep it on the sides. When working T&S while my brother was on track, I heard about the numbers every lap.

Besides, thats prime sponsor real estate!

dropkick317
11-07-2007, 10:23 PM
I ran mine on the windows for two years and no one said a word. Personally I think it is a cleaner look just look at the Renault Eurocup Megane Trophy.

BrandonP
11-11-2007, 02:51 PM
So if I have a car with rear door window tinting will I have to remove it? The back glass does not have tinting just the back doors.

mbuskuhl
11-11-2007, 04:15 PM
So if I have a car with rear door window tinting will I have to remove it? The back glass does not have tinting just the back doors.
[/b]

According to the GCR, yes.

9.3.51. WINDOWS
Windows shall be clear or uncolored.

JohnRW
11-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Is tinting a "color", or just a "shade" ? If it's a "color", then a literal reading of the GCR would outlaw factory-standard tinted windshield.

Biggest issue with numbers (having stood at Black Flag talking to people about their numbers) is "size" and "contrast". Have never talked to anyone about having numbers on the windows, as long as there was sufficient contrast foreground-background.

CaptainWho
11-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Yep, contrast and size are the issues. The problem is that when you mount the numbers on glass, the contrast becomes a moving target, because it's dependent on what the viewer can see through the glass. If you're going to mount your numbers on the window, I'd suggest backing them with a number plate so the contrast is constant rather than dynamic. Or you could do like the #23 Porsche in ALMS GT competition, and have a "neon" number in the rear side windows. :lol:

JGreen
11-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Another reason NOT to mount the number on the glass is that glass breaks. If you were to crash your car and the glass breaks then it would be very difficult to identify YOU until the ES crew gets there. And their responsibility is not to identify you but to help if you are injured.

Another reason for standard placement of numbers and class identifier is for photographic purposes. That way everyone knows where to look. This may be important to sponsors.

If you guys are good then you can approximate my age and when I started racing. We were REQUIRED black numbers on a white background or white on a black background.