PDA

View Full Version : VW Jetta TDi cup

shwah
11-01-2007, 06:41 PM
OK well they finally confirmed that the VW cup series will be a Jetta TDi cup, rather than the originally expected GTI cup. They also use the words 'young drivers' a lot.

Here is what I expect. Arrive and drive format. $35k per season. 18-25 year old drivers.

Bummer, I would have liked to try that out. Maybe its time to start searching for funds to build a T3 GTI.

Lael Cleland
11-01-2007, 06:48 PM
So is it going to be a VW demo derby :birra:

the TDi part is awsome!!!! torque monsters!

rabbidmk1
11-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Here is what I expect. Arrive and drive format. $35k per season. 18-25 year old drivers.
[/b]

Looks like I have to start my fundraising.... LOL

shwah
11-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Go for it Aaron. But keep the Golf and come play with us.

joeg
11-02-2007, 12:31 PM
$35K only?

They will probably have a whopper of a damage deposit too.

I wonder who will get the build contract and where will they maintain the cars.

rabbidmk1
11-02-2007, 12:37 PM
I wont sell my car, I am just starting to weigh my options for the next few years. I really want to make a go at some sort of career in a touring car series within the next 5 years.

Rabbit07
11-06-2007, 12:20 PM
$35K only?

They will probably have a whopper of a damage deposit too.

I wonder who will get the build contract and where will they maintain the cars.
[/b]

I contacted VW regarding that. I was told that they are going to be built in Europe in an assembly plant and maintained by VW.

Beran
11-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Anyone have more information?
SCCA contact has not returned my call.
Thanks,
Beran

Bildon
11-13-2007, 02:48 PM
First ones are already built in Hannover. I posted pics on Vortex about it. They will be shipped over & prepped by a 3rd party shop in LA, not VW.

Here's some great news though...

German "Auto Motor und Sport" is reporting today that racing legend Hans-Joachim Stuck is slated to become the combined Motorsports head for Porsche and Volkswagen. He is said to already have canceled his engagement with BMW, for whom he was working for almost 23 years, and a German pay tv station to be free for this position.

In 2008, Stuck will report directly to Stephen Grühsem, General representative of Volkswagen AG and Head of Corporate Communications, External Relations and Investor Relations.

Among his tasks to advise the Board on matters of motor racing as well as the cooperation in the strategic development of possible new sports of the group. In addition, he will act as Motorsports communications support and as a representative of the company in motor sports organizations in motor sports events and Classic events.

BStewart
12-07-2007, 08:52 AM
If you go to vwmotorsportusa.com you can sign up !
I see that they have Mark Miller and Ryan Arciero as Chief Instructors.
While these are top Baja racers, mostly in pickup trucks, why is VW using them ?
Has anyone inquired about working with the series ?

Bill Stewart

Knestis
12-07-2007, 10:49 AM
LOL - that's pretty funny, right there!

"Sign up!" = Write check

Kirk (who's probably just jealous that he isn't 20 with a rich old man)

JamesB
12-07-2007, 11:01 AM
your not alone old man...I mean Dr. K.

rabbidmk1
12-18-2007, 06:17 PM
My video is in post production! My application should be completed by the 10th of January is my guess... :D :OLA: :happy204: :biggrinsanta:

dave parker
12-18-2007, 06:57 PM
While the whole thing sounds really cool (and I wish my checkbook would allow me to play) it will probably end up being like the "beetle cup" that ran with ALMS years back, a series of factory built cars driven by V.I.P's (famous people or "important"), "funded" drivers (NO talent but healthy checkbook) and a few hotshoes (like the aforementioned Mr. Stuck) who will clean up a twenty-five lap race that only has three green flag laps anyway. After the "series
Welcome to "Pro" racing, where the only difference is the amount of money spent to go play. :114:

As always I realize that club, grassroots racing is usually the most fun and rewarding racing that is out there. :dead_horse:

cheers :birra:
dave parker
wdcr HP #97

shwah
12-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Dave,

The Beetle Cup races on this continent were purely marketing exercises. They were not any part of a competitive series. It was not smart to put a bunch of ametures on the track with a bunch of pros like they did at Petit, and the results were not unexpected. Still, I dug the event because it gave me a chance to watch the Petit in style from the VW hospitality area and meet Hurley Haywood, Price Cobb, Brian Redmon (sp?) and a host of other great racers (Hans Stuck was not very available though. Also met Tim Allen - what a short dude!

Those races were a step below the Toyota pro-am at the Long Beach Grand Prix. I mean really - starting grid determined by lottery the night before? The shame is that had those demonstrations turned out better (read less car destruction and more green racing laps) there was a chance for a Cup series here at that time.

I expect this series to have more racing going on, but to be slanted more towards marketing than, say Pro MX-5.