PDA

View Full Version : Corner Weights

Campbell
10-29-2007, 02:51 PM
I have never known what to do with the corner weights I get from tech.. I got the following weights for the car without the driver, do they look right? car is an ITB Scirocco. How do you analyze these? Thanks

Greg Amy
10-29-2007, 02:57 PM
What corners are these from?

Also, note that Tech scales are RARELY (if ever) leveled, they're there simply to measure total weight to ensure compliance. Thus, those numbers are rarely useful for setup information. - GA

JamesB
10-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Well its best to corner weight with the driver. your not going to have much luck with front to rear weights but if you can get the cross weights close to 50/50 with the front to rear 60/40 youll be about as ballenced as you can. I am that way but it took a bit of work and selectively placing my ballast weight to get 49/51 cross weight and a 59/41 front to rear balence.

I never thought about that greg. But thats another good point.

Campbell
10-29-2007, 07:28 PM
These are how the weights were listed on the piece of paper they gave me.. next year I will get weighed while sitting the car. Do you adjust the side to side balance by changing the coil seats? does raising the coil lighten the corner or make it heavier? thanks

Andy Bettencourt
10-29-2007, 08:33 PM
One VERY underrated set-up figure is the LF-RF balance number. If your car is prone to locking up one of the fronts and you have it corner balanced, I bet you went for 50-50 with no regard for the LF-RF measurment. Some of my best set-ups are a very nice combination of both.

Quickshoe
10-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Raising the spring perch will INCREASE the weight on that corner and the corner diagonally opposite.

Side to Side and Front to Rear is generally changed by moving objects in the car, changing the rake can have a slight effect on front to rear depending on wheelbase and center of gravity height.

I'd strive for as close to 50/50 on the LF-RR/RF-LR corners making sure you don't have more than maybe 10-20pounds difference between the two front tires. This is with you in the car, on level scales with tire pressures set and sway bars disconnected. That will be your starting point. Tune/tweak for different tracks or personal preference from there.

Campbell
10-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the info!