PDA

View Full Version : Licensing question

titanium
10-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Thursday of last week, while loading my car to go to Sebring for the 2008 SARRC/2007 Regional, I suffered a heart-attack.
I am doing fine now after having angioplasty and a stent and am on my way to a full recovery. I will be returning to work on Monday, just no more Wendy's #2 combo's :(

(Thanks to everyone who called or sent emails, it is greatly appreciated)

My cardiologist has scheduled a stress test for me in December. Until I complete that, he doesn't want me racing.
I have read the GCR and noted that drivers with a history of cardiac events who apply for a license are subject to the medical review board.
He has already said that he expects that I will pass the stress test without issue and will fill out any paperwork the board wants so that I can renew my license next spring.

However, I cant find any information in the GCR about what happens to you CURRENT license once you medically don't meet the requirements under when it was issued?
Assuming my cardiologist clears me to race after the stress test in December, can I race in January and February without notifying Topeka?

tom_sprecher
10-28-2007, 09:51 AM
I can't answer your question but I can say that I'm glad you're OK. Did your Doc have anything to say about contributing factors? I mean you're too young to be having a heart attack. :unsure:

Take care of yourself and hopefully we'll race together soon.

dj10
10-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Thursday of last week, while loading my car to go to Sebring for the 2008 SARRC/2007 Regional, I suffered a heart-attack.
I am doing fine now after having angioplasty and a stent and am on my way to a full recovery. I will be returning to work on Monday, just no more Wendy's #2 combo's :(

(Thanks to everyone who called or sent emails, it is greatly appreciated)

My cardiologist has scheduled a stress test for me in December. Until I complete that, he doesn't want me racing.
I have read the GCR and noted that drivers with a history of cardiac events who apply for a license are subject to the medical review board.
He has already said that he expects that I will pass the stress test without issue and will fill out any paperwork the board wants so that I can renew my license next spring.

However, I cant find any information in the GCR about what happens to you CURRENT license once you medically don't meet the requirements under when it was issued?
Assuming my cardiologist clears me to race after the stress test in December, can I race in January and February without notifying Topeka?
[/b]

Contact SCCA direct and ask them. I believe it would be wise to make them aware of your situation. I'm sure SCCA Doctor's will want to see the results of your stress test so they can make their determination. I think the worse thing you could do is just "NOT" tell anyone.

Good luck & take care.

titanium
10-28-2007, 10:51 AM
I can't answer your question but I can say that I'm glad you're OK. Did your Doc have anything to say about contributing factors? I mean you're too young to be having a heart attack. :unsure:

Take care of yourself and hopefully we'll race together soon.
[/b]

Thank Tom.

It was quite a shock to me also. I didn't expect to have this kind of problem at just 43 years old.
I 'passed' my last physical back in February. Blood Pressure and Cholesterol were 'normal'. EKG was fine.
However, I do have a family history on both side for cardiac problems. My mom had her first heart attack when she was 55. My dad suffer a fatal heart attack in March of this year at age 66. They were both lifelong smokers and led sedentary lifestyles, so I thought with my more active lifestyle and being a non-smoker, I would be OK for 30 or 40 more years.

Maddog
10-28-2007, 03:23 PM
[/b]

As I read 2.3.2.B (page 4) you can not race again until cleared by Topeka.

titanium
10-29-2007, 11:42 PM
That's what I was looking for!
Thanks for you help

Mike Guenther
11-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Rodney,
you dog... I'm glad that you are feeling O.K. now. You will have to submit the medical evaluation form along with an EKG. Based on those two items the SCCA medical advisor will likely agree with you doctor's (expected) conclusion that you are Ok to race or do other stressful activities again. You may have to begin submitting these two items every other year like us old foggys over 50.

You have to take care of yourself and live long enough to enjoy your daughter's wedding (in 20 years), and your future grandchildren.

Best wishes to you for continued good health. I look forward to seeing you and your family at the track again soon.

Mike