PDA

View Full Version : Spectating at the ARRC

mc-integra111
10-26-2007, 10:09 PM
I will be attending the event this year to spectate. I am from Chicago, IL and have never been to Road Atlanta before.

I was wondering if people with more knowledge than me could tell me if you are free to roam as a spectator?
Where are the good places to watch from?
I assume the paddock is open to spectators like regional events?
Any other pieces of advice you may have to help me out would be appreciated. Thanks.

RussMcB
10-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Glad you're coming down, Jared. I hope we have good, warm, weather for you.

Find a track map and plan to go everywhere to watch for at least a few minutes. You will be welcome in the paddock, and all of the spectator areas should be open.

My favorite places to watch from are turns 3 and 5. T5 is the picturesque view you often see of Rd Atl's Esses.

Turn 10 A is a braking zone at the end of the long back straight (best place for out-braking, passing).

Turns 12 (before S/F) and 1 are both fast and fun to watch.

You will enjoy traveling out to the far end of the track to Turns 6 & 7, too.

tom91ita
10-27-2007, 12:33 AM
similar thread at:

http://roadrace-autox.com/bbs/forums/threa...osts=24&start=1 (http://roadrace-autox.com/bbs/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=5673&posts=24&start=1)

lateapex911
10-27-2007, 04:27 PM
I like to watch the racing...the set ups and the passes, so I like three places.

1- Turn 1 at the start and thru the first couple laps. Actually, the front straight is good for the start, with turn 1 views.

2- Turn 5 has the view of the esses, and you can watch guys get thru 5 better, (tricky corner) which sets them up for a pass at 6.

3- 10a/b and 12. Lots of passing at the end of the straight, and lots of pass backs. Sometimes you need to run to the other side of the overpass (don't get hit by a spectator car!) to see if the move stuck, or....
12 isn't too bad a spot to watch the start from either.

It's definately a cool track to move around on.

Despr8dave
10-27-2007, 05:38 PM
I have tentative plans of going myself, won't know till about the last minute. Maybe us "spectator" I.T. forum members could possibly meet and hangout together. I'll be alone this year. I enjoyed the 04 ARRC almost every where I went at the track, my first encounter at Road Atlanta. What a beautiful place! I'll be leaving the Orlando area Thursday and get to the track on Friday if anyone is interested.

mc-integra111
10-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks for all the info. I think the answer to this is obvious, just not explicitly stated. Can you view from the infield? Based on the responses from where to watch, it sounds like you are referring to the infield side of the track.

Despr8dave > Sure, we could meet up. I will be there for the Saturday races only, probably ~9 am to the end of the day. If you are interested in meeting up, email at [email protected] and we can set something up.

CaptainWho
10-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Despr8dave,

If you guys are going to get together, someone should make a banner or something. If you do, let me know before Friday of the ARRC. I'll be shooting the race for the Atlanta Region, along with Clark McInnis, and one of us should be able to get a shot of the group. Heck, Karyn might even choose to print it in Steeringwheel (the Atlanta Region newsletter).

mc-integra111,

Yes, the infield is open to spectators, as is the ARRC paddock on the outside of the track. The Pro paddock on the infield may not be accessible. If the entrants crowd is big enough, they'll need the space and open the Pro paddock.

For spectating:

Anywhere, almost literally. Except for T10 through T1, virtually all of the viewing areas are in the infield. For excitement, geez, darned near anywhere, but especially T1, T3, The Esses, T5, T7, T10A, T12.

Note that the hills in the track are a killer if you're walking and an old sedentary fart like me. :D

Despr8dave
10-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Sorry, guys, I was just informed I have to work an RV show that weekend. I like the banner idea and I hope you all have a great time. Too bad we can't get a webcam going, I really like sitting up all night watching LeMans!