PDA

View Full Version : Roof repair SSC car - ideas/advice needed

downingracing
10-26-2007, 10:38 AM
So I've got an SSC car that needs the roof repaired. (Light roll - not that bad, but needs repaired) How do you repair the roof when the headliner is still in the car? Can't remove it because the cage is welded in. I know I can convert it to ITA (easy to repair once headliner is ripped out...), but if I wanted to leave it as SSC - what are my options?

Thanks!

Matt

trhoppe
10-26-2007, 10:41 AM
I was under the impression that interior pieces that get in the way of the cage can be removed?

I know that some pieces of the headliner/plastic pillar pieces were removed in some of the T2 cars I've seen. My SSC car didn't have the pass headrest or the rear plastic trunk pieces, or the glovebox as they *cough* got in the way of the cage ;)

-Tom

JohnRW
10-26-2007, 10:56 AM
You need to find a kit of the 'weld-on' pins that spot-weld to the outside sheetmetal, and can then be grabbed by a funky 'slap-hammer' to pull out the dents from the outside. Check your local auto body/paint supply store.

dickita15
10-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Landau Roof Kit?

Sorry kidding, I break myself up. :D

John is right. Weld on studs and a slide hammer, weld on, pull out, grind off.

ddewhurst
10-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Is this a deal as the guys have said that maybe the good "Dent Doctor" could cure in a hurry.

Dave Burchfield
10-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Matt,

It's called a stud welder and Harbor Freight has them on sale usually for $99.
I have used one a bit and it is a slick operation.

Dave

toddgreene
10-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Be careful with the stud welder. It can still burn the headliner.

Can you not cut the headliner into two pieces then reassemble above the main hoop?

Another idea... Re-skin the roof and use the 3M Panel Bond Adhesive intead of welding.
Your factory roof may very well be installed with Panel Bond. If not, it typically is an OEM and
industry approved repair technique.

Todd

joeg
10-29-2007, 07:40 AM
Reskinning is the correct advice.

You could also section a junkyard roof by cutting half way down the A, B © pillars. Depends on how far that headliner runs down any of the pillars--if at all.

downingracing
12-20-2007, 10:59 PM
We decided to try the stud welder. Actually worked GREAT! Can't believe how easy it was to use and how good it is turning out. We (I) were/was worried about the headliner, but just using quick bursts on the studs - no problems! A little bondo to smooth it all out and she should be ready for paint.

http://www.downingracing.com/forsale/pictures/zx2a.jpg