PDA

View Full Version : Tow Hooks and Turn Signal Lights

toddgreene
10-25-2007, 09:58 PM
Can I mount a tow hook or tow strap through the turn signal light hole in my bumper cover and block off the remainder of the hole with aluminum? I'd be willing to paint the aluminum amber like the light.

Strictly interpreting the rules, I assume this is not legal...
However, as a practical matter, would anyone protest?

Thanks,

Todd

Knestis
10-25-2007, 10:41 PM
No way to know. You've got to do what you're OK with, I think and then take whatever chances you set yourself up for. Have I ever seen - or even heard of - a protest for missing marker lenses? Not in road racing, no.

K

ddewhurst
10-26-2007, 08:39 AM
***Strictly interpreting the rules, I assume this is not legal...***

Todd, you understand ^ correctly. However, if your light assembly is mounted below the bumper they SHALL be removed. Open hole for your tow hook or tow strap.

shwah
10-26-2007, 08:54 AM
It will be harder to remind the car in front of you to go when the green flag flies if you hang the tow hook out the front like that.

I say hang it down below the bumper.

dickita15
10-26-2007, 09:53 AM
This is actually an interesting question from a rules nerd perspective. The rules say you must add the hook but gives no instruction in how to do it. You have to believe that some modification of the car is allowed to install it. Of course it can serve no other purpose so if you created an air intake for instance it is definitely a no go.
On my car I cut off the stock tow hooks and replaced them with compliant ones in the same location. I was questioned, in a purely academic way if that was legal. Good question.
This is similar to the debate Greg and I have about steering wheels. My steering wheel adapter is welded to my column. The good book says I can replace the wheel, but Greg contends the welding is a unauthorized modification of the column.
Depending on the court I might be right or I might be wrong, but I cannot envision anyone ever wasting the time to find out.

Matt Rowe
10-26-2007, 10:45 AM
but I cannot envision anyone ever wasting the time to find out.[/b]
Really, after we just spent several pages debating the use of sails in IT. Come on it is the begining off season for a large part of the country. :D

:024: :014: :dead_horse: :bash_1_:

Okay back to the topic at hand. So no one here has a problem with using the installation of an allowed (or required) item to remove another item?

Personally I don't find it questonable to remove the first marker light in order to install the tow hook and removing the other one for the sake of symmetry is definitely out. But I also wouldn't waste any time portesting or even complaining about it.

Knestis
10-26-2007, 12:01 PM
...So no one here has a problem with using the installation of an allowed (or required) item to remove another item? [/b]

Oh, I NEVER said that I didn't have any problem with it...

K

ddewhurst
10-26-2007, 12:23 PM
***It will be harder to remind the car in front of you to go when the green flag flies if you hang the tow hook out the front like that.***

Chris, tow hook or "tow strap". When reading between the lines I would & do use a climbers loop. ;)

As opposite of what Dick did I attached the climbers loop to the OEM tow hooks which were not 2 inch diameter. :023:

MMiskoe
10-28-2007, 10:01 PM
I did this on my car and no one has complained yet. It works very well, the car can be towed w/o damaging the bumper cover or air dam and nothing sticks out to whack your shins on.

My thought followed dickita15's comment about lack of allowance on how to make it happen. There's nothing saying you can actually splice in a circuit or drill mounting holes for your transponder, it just says you have to have one that functions. I don't believe Rain-X is allowed either.

Matt

toddgreene
10-29-2007, 06:49 AM
Excellent points Matt!!!
Thanks everyone!!!

Todd

Greg Amy
10-29-2007, 07:39 AM
You have to believe that some modification of the car is allowed to install it.[/b]
Absolutely. But:

9.1.3.B, "Other than those specifically allowed by these rules, no component or part normally found on a stock example of a given vehicle may be disabled, altered, or removed for the purpose of obtaining any competitive advantage."

Tread lightly.