PDA

View Full Version : November Fastrack

Greg Amy
10-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Enjoy...

http://www.scca.com/documents/Fastrack/07-...k-nov-final.pdf (http://www.scca.com/documents/Fastrack/07-fastrack-nov-final.pdf)

Andy Bettencourt
10-23-2007, 05:07 PM
It's a quick read...like.... nothing for us.

Eagle7
10-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Looks like the new ECU rule has disappeared into a black hole. Are they too busy to discuss it or can't decide what to do with it? What's the procedure if they never vote on it? I assume it dies on Jan 1.

77ITA
10-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Not much to debate in this one... the court of appeals was certainly a fun read though.

This was the first I've heard about the proposed "Formula First" class. Can't say I really know enough about it vs. FV to even form an opinion on that one. :)

Greg Amy
10-23-2007, 05:17 PM
It's a quick read...like.... nothing for us.[/b]

But...but...but...it's a new Fastrack! It's our duty to argue about something!!!!

Oh, my Lord...another four weeks until the next one...what are we to do...? Oh, and winter's coming, too...I...I...I...I'm not too happy with this situation...I need something to drink...

Jeremy Billiel
10-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Not much to debate in this one... the court of appeals was certainly a fun read though.

This was the first I've heard about the proposed "Formula First" class. Can't say I really know enough about it vs. FV for even form an opinion on that one. :)
[/b]

What the HELL do we need more freakin open wheel VW powered cars for? How about we kill half the other open wheel classes before we make any MORE!

Andy Bettencourt
10-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Looks like the new ECU rule has disappeared into a black hole. Are they too busy to discuss it or can't decide what to do with it? What's the procedure if they never vote on it? I assume it dies on Jan 1. [/b]

Don't worry about it. It's in process - the BoD votes and the resultant rule (new, old, whatever) gets rammed into the GCR right before print...that's the plan at least.

planet6racing
10-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Y'all want something to argue about...

<sarcasm, laid on thick>

Because there is no mention of IT in this FasTrack, it clearly shows that we are looked upon as second class citizens. Obviously, Formula cars come first and that&#39;s why they get treatment here. What with the announcement that VWs are the official pace car, there&#39;s no doubt why they are bringing Formula First into the mix.

</sarcasm>

keycom
10-23-2007, 05:35 PM
What the HELL do we need more freakin open wheel VW powered cars for? How about we kill half the other open wheel classes before we make any MORE!
[/b]

SCCA can&#39;t find time to run but 24 national classes at the Runoffs anyway. Why more classes? Is there really a demand for this, while at the same time running other competitive classes away from the Runoffs?
<_<
Can you tell I frequent the Prodracing website?

Andy Bettencourt
10-23-2007, 05:40 PM
SCCA can&#39;t find time to run but 24 national classes at the Runoffs anyway. Why more classes? Is there really a demand for this, while at the same time running other competitive classes away from the Runoffs?
<_<
Can you tell I frequent the Prodracing website? [/b]

Ya, I can. Jumping to conclusions before you read the actual text.

set.[/b]</div>
</span>

Rabbit07
10-23-2007, 06:03 PM
But...but...but...it&#39;s a new Fastrack! It&#39;s our duty to argue about something!!!!

Oh, my Lord...another four weeks until the next one...what are we to do...? Oh, and winter&#39;s coming, too...I...I...I...I&#39;m not too happy with this situation...I need something to drink...
[/b]

Calm down Greg, the ARRC is only a few weeks away! :D

Quickshoe
10-23-2007, 06:30 PM
FST vs FV vs IT....

If the FST class is in the same run group as FV/FF/F500 in your region how does it impact you? Why would an IT racer care if the FST class grows or not.

Frankly, there is a core group of folks who know a lot about FV, who have had their eye on the trends in that class and are planing for the "evolution" of the class. That was a pun---"evolution" is a FST chassis make. This FST will let those with the desire to evolve without allienating those who wish to remain in FV to their dying day.

In a nutshell, FST is a class with the performance potential somewhere between FV and FST. While the class allows for conversions with many similar parts, I don&#39;t think FV conversions will remain competitive as the FST class grows. It is essential to allow conversion cars to compete/participate in order to grow the class.

Think FV with wider tires (no more 4.5" wheels), disk brakes (instead of drums), rack and pinion steering (instead of the old steering box), restricted 1600 (instead of a 1200--parts availability) the 1200 hasn&#39;t been produced in more than 40 years.

I recently sold my FV because I wanted something different. I am building a FProd car and strongly considered FST--however, I didn&#39;t because a) I have absolutely zero desire to race with SCCA and B) I don&#39;t have much desire to race in a class of 3--that is a catch22 because the class won&#39;t grow as long as people like me are waiting on the sidelines to see if it grows.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

shwah
10-23-2007, 07:06 PM
But...but...but...it&#39;s a new Fastrack! It&#39;s our duty to argue about something!!!!
[/b]

Rabble rabble rabble!

Harumph.

Knestis
10-23-2007, 09:47 PM
How freaky. I just mentioned somewhere just this last week (might have been at the Sandbox rather than here) that some friends and I came up with a sports racer class based on the Formula Vee, and lo and behold it appears as Formula First - albeit minus the bodywork.

I don&#39;t know about the wisdom of building race cars on 40-year-old technology but put bodywork on them, get 40 of your closest buddies to do the same thing, and you might have something there.

K

rcc85
10-23-2007, 10:22 PM
I don&#39;t know about the wisdom of building race cars on 40-year-old technology but put bodywork on them, get 40 of your closest buddies to do the same thing, and you might have something there.

K
[/quote]

and we could call it Spec Racer...

Bob Clifton
#05 ITB Dodge Daytona

Doc Bro
10-24-2007, 07:05 AM
Don&#39;t worry about it. It&#39;s in process - the BoD votes and the resultant rule (new, old, whatever) gets rammed into the GCR right before print...that&#39;s the plan at least.
[/b]

Andy...not trying to be a jerk here....but, what is the logic behind the approach. This has been on the table for a while and hasn&#39;t had any official ruling. Why wait till the last minute to stuff it into the GCR. It seems &#39;we&#39;ve&#39; got it all figured out, it&#39;s just the formality of the vote. I think the approach is less than user friendly, and the lack of an "official stamp" is certainly holding things up for many. I wonder if the MOTEC in a box rule of yore took this long [rhetorical]. I&#39;m baffled...........

R

JohnRW
10-24-2007, 11:09 AM
I don&#39;t know about the wisdom of building race cars on 40-year-old technology...[/b]

But they&#39;d be a whole lot newer than any small-bore Prod grid.

There is a whole crap-load of Formula First cars club-racing in Canada. The snow melts in June and it starts snowing again in August...they&#39;re probably just looking for a warmer place to race.

Wreckerboy
10-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Y&#39;all want something to argue about...

<sarcasm, laid on thick>

Because there is no mention of IT in this FasTrack, it clearly shows that we are looked upon as second class citizens. Obviously, Formula cars come first and that&#39;s why they get treatment here. What with the announcement that VWs are the official pace car, there&#39;s no doubt why they are bringing Formula First into the mix.

</sarcasm>
[/b]

I think I hear the black helicopters in the distance, all powered by heavily cammed rotary motors installed in ITB Shelbys and manned by pilots wearing Hans devices.

leawil
10-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Well, I think SCCA missed one aspect of this FST-replaces-FV strategy: there&#39;s no date certain for completion of the process.

This could be easily remedied. Set a date on which all remaining FV&#39;s must be brought to a cow pasture in Kansas, then all the remaining FV guys spend two days drinking together. At the conclusion of the weekend, all the FV&#39;s would be piled together and torched. They could call it Burning V.

Potential solution for other classes as well?

(See what happens when there&#39;s no IT content in the FasTrack)

RacerBill
10-24-2007, 12:17 PM
(See what happens when there&#39;s no IT content in the FasTrack)
[/b]

The bog wants IT content! The bog wants IT content! The bog wants IT content!

spnkzss
10-24-2007, 01:15 PM
The bog wants IT content! The bog wants IT content! The bog wants IT content!
[/b]

What no RVs lately?

Andy Bettencourt
10-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Andy...not trying to be a jerk here....but, what is the logic behind the approach. This has been on the table for a while and hasn&#39;t had any official ruling. Why wait till the last minute to stuff it into the GCR. It seems &#39;we&#39;ve&#39; got it all figured out, it&#39;s just the formality of the vote. I think the approach is less than user friendly, and the lack of an "official stamp" is certainly holding things up for many. I wonder if the MOTEC in a box rule of yore took this long [rhetorical]. I&#39;m baffled...........

R [/b]

Rob,

I really have no idea what the rub is. The vote on this slipped a con-call or two (there ARE other issues the CRB and BoD have to deal with) and we are now close to zero hour. What difference does it make if we are first or last to get into the GCR? None to me. The ITAC made it&#39;s recommendation and the CRB has as well. The BoD will pass it or stuff it. I believe they will move in synch with the CRB. I have talked with both Chairpeople on the issue.

This issue spent EXTRA time out for member comment so it has been slower than normal but isn&#39;t that ok given the issue at hand? Yes, the resultant time to implement an ECU solution may be shorter but I find no fault in the timeframe. Not for nuthin&#39; but if it were shorter, there would be people bithing on how the SCCA back-doored it and the ITAC was pushing it&#39;s own agenda (insert black helicopter nonsense) and if it&#39;s longer then we get what you wrote.

Lose-lose. :(

planet6racing
10-24-2007, 01:45 PM
But, I need to know soon! Santa will be coming soon and, if this passes, I need to be extra good the rest of the year!!! :114:

:D :D :D :D

lateapex911
10-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Opinion: be extra good.

RacerBill
10-24-2007, 04:15 PM
What no RVs lately?
[/b]

and Grayhound don&#39;t go there anymore, either!

Is this what they mean by silly season?

This is taking time away from my wheel search!!!!!!

Greg Amy
10-24-2007, 04:55 PM
and Grayhound don&#39;t go there anymore, either![/b]
Bwah-hah-hah! Bill, you&#39;re showin&#39; yer age!!

erlrich
10-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Opinion: be extra good. [/b] Yep, and save your pennies...and nickles....and 100s.....