PDA

View Full Version : Entry entrance/exit speeds

mhart073
10-22-2007, 09:55 PM
I've recently started recording my track events with a gps based data acqusition system and was wondering about the corner entry/exit speed differences. What I am finding is that, on average, my corner exit speeds are only about 3-4mph faster than the entry speeds. I know that this difference will vary with the angle and camber of the corner, but wondering what is typical?

Tak
12-07-2007, 06:05 PM
There is no typical change from corner entry to exit.
For example, in a decreasing radius corner, you will exit more slowly than you entered!
Read the book "driving in competition" by Alan Johnson. He has a great description of corner types, their relative importance, and how to analyze a track to minimize lap times.
Data acquistion then becomes a great tool to help you optimize how you treat each corner to put together fast laps.

Tak

ITA 29
SFR SCCA

dickita15
12-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Wow, Alan Johnson’s book was one of the first books I read that made me understand driving road racing circuits and the relative importance of different corners. That was long before I was racing and before many on this board were born. Good recommendation.

CaptainWho
12-07-2007, 07:49 PM
(Barnes and Noble catalog entry) (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780965160001&itm=1)

Carroll Smith's Drive to Win covers that material, too, and pretty well. I can't compare the two, though, since I haven't read Alan Johnson's book.