PDA

View Full Version : civic hubs

ewaugh
10-21-2007, 10:14 AM
I ate my first hub during a trackday last weekend. I've heard about the hubs being vunerable to wear, and since I've had the car (about three years) I've only been running race tires this season. I ran STS auto-x for the last two. How often do I need to replace hubs and are the front ones past due for replacment? Has anyone found a grease that helps with the wear?

Tkczecheredflag
10-21-2007, 12:55 PM
I ate my first hub during a trackday last weekend. I've heard about the hubs being vunerable to wear, and since I've had the car (about three years) I've only been running race tires this season. I ran STS auto-x for the last two. How often do I need to replace hubs and are the front ones past due for replacment? Has anyone found a grease that helps with the wear?
[/b]
Not sure if you were talking about 1 Gen Hondas or not.

I ran an 87 Si ITA and 85 CRX DX ITC for many years. I checked rear hubs for every race - always carried an extra set - the hub/bearing assembly bolts on - I replaced hub bearing at the track on several occassions. They are good for about 4-6 weekends. If you are using the the HF rear (not ITC/ITA legal) you will replace them more often - its a smaller bearing.

Fronts are more durable but also need to be checked every weekend, I usually got 6-8 weekends out of a set. The fronts need to be pressed in so you might want to consider traveling with another couple of Bearing/Hub/Knuckle assembly. All the hub bearing extras are good to have around at the track regardless.

Hope that helps.

Tom Blaney
10-21-2007, 05:53 PM
The front hubs are vulnerable to cracking at the radius where the wheel flange meets the body. I supply heat treated hubs that prevent the problem, and the hubs will usually last a few years after that. However the bearings themselves should be replaced annually on a well maintained car. Doesn't make much difference if you use OEM or aftermarket bearings they should be replaced (if not at least checked) since they are not that expensive. The front bearings do take a lot of abuse and in spite of the size they do get loose.

As Tim noted, it's a good idea to have a complete spare hub (F & R) since it is not an easy repair at the track. I found that the rear bearings do seem to need frequent checking for play especially if you run a lot of rear camber.

Let me know if I can be of any help, I do have some.

Greg Gauper
10-21-2007, 06:23 PM
As Tim noted, it's a good idea to have a complete spare hub (F & R) since it is not an easy repair at the track. I found that the rear bearings do seem to need frequent checking for play especially if you run a lot of rear camber.
[/b]

I think Tom meant a complete spare 'upright' assembly and not just the hub.

You need a hyd. press to replace the hub & bearing so it is not a simple fix at the track, but you can swap the entire upright in about 10-15 minutes. BTW - replace your wheel studs while you have everything apart.

I replace my hubs & bearing once a year on my Prod car and I see higher g-loads than an IT car.

I rebuild my spare uprights once a year and 'rotate my stock' as it were. The old upright becomes the spare. Before the next season, I rebuild the spares again and swap them out again, repeating as required.

I've had one front hub break, and found a cracked hub once. The hub that broke had 13 races on it. The cracked hub was back in the late-80's when tires weren't quite as sticky as they are today. It had about 30 races on it. It really sucks when your tire beats in into the corner :( :(

It's been my experience that the rears aren't so critical and seem to give you warning before they go bad by getting noisy. I replace my rears every other season.

Edit - I was referring to 84-87 Civic/CRX for car types.

ewaugh
10-21-2007, 08:08 PM
I had to replace the rears...a couple of years ago, but they've seen some use. I ended up cutting a session short because of the noise. I wasn't sure that the nut hadn't backed off and like you said, it would suck to have your wheel beat you to the corner.

I had an off during the event and found a hole in the grass. I bent something under there, haven't had a chance to find out what just yet. I have a whole complete set of front pieces, but either way it might be times to make a run to pull-a-part to grab another spare.

I'll go ahead and replace the other rear hub and check the fronts before I hit Barber's in a month. I might replace them too. If nothing else I'll have a spare. The nice thing about running at Barber's is that it's ten minutes from the house.

This is all on a 91 Si by the way, should have mentioned that.

spnkzss
10-22-2007, 08:45 AM
I had to replace the rears...a couple of years ago, but they've seen some use. I ended up cutting a session short because of the noise. I wasn't sure that the nut hadn't backed off and like you said, it would suck to have your wheel beat you to the corner.

I had an off during the event and found a hole in the grass. I bent something under there, haven't had a chance to find out what just yet. I have a whole complete set of front pieces, but either way it might be times to make a run to pull-a-part to grab another spare.

I'll go ahead and replace the other rear hub and check the fronts before I hit Barber's in a month. I might replace them too. If nothing else I'll have a spare. The nice thing about running at Barber's is that it's ten minutes from the house.

This is all on a 91 Si by the way, should have mentioned that.
[/b]

Last year I broke my first hub. 4 seasons and multiple drivers schools and Enduros on the car. I replaced bearings EVERY year, but not hubs. I deserved it, but I think it was caused by a calliper lock up on that side during a driver school that caused an excessive amount of heat. I still replace bearings every year, but will be replacing front hubs every other year and rear hubs every 3 years. I only race between 5-6 race weekends. If I pick up more seat time I will be reconsidering.

This is all based on a '90 Civic Std ITC car. I'm building a '90 Civic Si ITA car so the greater speeds may make me reconsider.

Xian
10-22-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm building a '90 Civic Si ITA car so the greater speeds may make me reconsider.
[/b]
Yep. Having run an ITA CRX Si, I can say that my car was eating front end components running 90 minute ECR's. I believe this was almost entirely due to the heat put into the braking system during these longer races. After a series of ball joint and front bearing issues, I dropped back to just running sprint's and haven't had an issue since.

As far as which hub to use, I've had ZERO problems with my OPM hardened hubs. I'd suggest giving them a call and ordering some from Tiffany or Tom.

Christian