PDA

View Full Version : ARRC ITB News

Knestis
10-18-2007, 11:47 PM
(Burlington, NC) Big news out of Conover Motor Sports World HQ today is that Bowie Gray will be driving Kirk Knestis' ITB Golf in the ARRC sprint race.

The car's been updated with IT-spec head work, an adjustable FPR, and a newly optimized compression ratio - much to the team's chagrin. Knowing the car is good, the driver becomes the weak link so Knestis has obligingly stepped aside for this one, to put someone who actually knows Road Atlanta behind the wheel. The only real challenge facing the CMS crew is keeping Pablo clean during the 13-hour enduro at VIR the previous weekend.

So, anyone want to rent for half of the 3-hour enduro on Sunday? We're bringing rebuild parts, just in case someone asks to see under the new head.

K

JLawton
10-19-2007, 06:41 AM
Way to go Kirk!! Although I think YOU should be driving!! B)

Don't you want to see how you do against the best??

Interesting.....Very interesting!!!!

lateapex911
10-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Cool move Kirk, very cool.

Knestis
10-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks, Jake.

I'm realistic about what it takes, driver-wise, to do well at the ARRC and Bowie is the best option for Conover Motor Sports to show well in that venue.

For the record, the changes we've made are not just for the sprint. We're just putting the final touches on Pablo and fully expect that he'll be running enduros next year in the same specification as we run at the ARRC - or seen differently, will run the ARRC to 2008 enduro spec.

He will be fat relative to minimum weight at Atlanta, however. The closest we got last year (pre-fuel cell) was 40 over, on essentially empty tanks. My guess is that we've put about that amount again into cell, structure, dry break, filler, etc. since then - net over what got removed in the process.

We'll also be taking the $mega Hella light system off for sprint races. Those HID ballasts are heavey muthas and we can't afford to bust an unobtainium headlight in a shoving match.

K

PS - in response to a couple of email conversations I've had today, the short answer is ~$1000 for half of the 3-hour enduro, all inclusive. That's a break because CMS will already be there (no additional transportation costs) and we'll likely run on low-miles Hoosiers leftover from the 13 hours. Not picking on anyone in particular but if you think that half of the direct costs of tires, gas, and entry fee is the right price for an enduro seat, please let me know so I can rent from YOU instead. That would be schweeeet! :) Seriously - I'm not embarrassed to share the fact that historical costing data since Fall of 2003 indicates that $400/hour of track time is the right figure to cover amortization of the car over a sensible life, all of the parts we replace before they bust, engine rebuilds and other regular service, etc. If you are a newbie reading this, and are thinking I'm being mercenary, you will eventually figure it out - one way or another. And that figure doesn't even include costs associated with towing because I hire Conover by the mile to do that for me.

...Don't you want to see how you do against the best?? ...[/b]
I have NO question how I would stack up against those guys if my first trip to RA was for the ARRC.

Smack.

K

Greg Amy
10-20-2007, 08:00 AM
When during the weekend is the enduro? Friday, Saturday, or Sunday? We're leaving to go home early Sunday AM, but if it's Friday...hmmmmm... - GA

dazzlesa
10-20-2007, 08:28 AM
enduros are sunday. that is ususally get home time for us ne guys

Rabbit07
10-20-2007, 08:50 AM
PS - in response to a couple of email conversations I've had today, the short answer is ~$1000 for half of the 3-hour enduro, all inclusive. That's a break because CMS will already be there (no additional transportation costs) and we'll likely run on low-miles Hoosiers leftover from the 13 hours. Not picking on anyone in particular but if you think that half of the direct costs of tires, gas, and entry fee is the right price for an enduro seat, please let me know so I can rent from YOU instead. That would be schweeeet! :) Seriously - I'm not embarrassed to share the fact that historical costing data since Fall of 2003 indicates that $400/hour of track time is the right figure to cover amortization of the car over a sensible life, all of the parts we replace before they bust, engine rebuilds and other regular service, etc. If you are a newbie reading this, and are thinking I'm being mercenary, you will eventually figure it out - one way or another. And that figure doesn't even include costs associated with towing because I hire Conover by the mile to do that for me.
K
[/b]

Personally I think that's a steal!

I too, amortize the use of my cars and it always turns out to be between $300-$500 an hour. Anyone who hasn't figured that out is in denial

R2 Racing
10-20-2007, 09:23 AM
When during the weekend is the enduro? Friday, Saturday, or Sunday? We're leaving to go home early Sunday AM, but if it's Friday...hmmmmm... - GA
[/b]

Always Sunday. This years is back up to three hours again too. I started sticking around for it a couple of years ago because hell, you're there. Then just take Monday off work. That's why everyone should have a spare tiny, cheap ITC car they can just throw in the trailer in case an enduro pops up. :D

dazzlesa
10-20-2007, 10:35 AM
with my past car i would run enduros all the time.

Catch22
10-20-2007, 01:29 PM
This is making me glad I didn't renew my license for this year. If it was in my pocket I'm sure I would have already written the check to Kirk.

I need to spend that money on my own new car anyway.
See... Thats about as close to "financially responsible" as a racer can get. I'm proud of me!

philstireservice
10-20-2007, 10:18 PM
half a 3 hour enduro (almost a sprint race)....in Pablo, the car I just drove about 8 days ago.......with maybe new Hoosiers ( I know a guy)........Conover prep....oooo, me and the wife will be down that way too.....never driven RA though ???....but, got an hour and half to learn it.....

Ummm Kirk .... :024:

Knestis
10-20-2007, 10:41 PM
We've got a dyno trip planned for this coming week so we'll have some figures but it's reasonable to assume that Cameron will be able to find some more power. We've gasket-matched the head and intake manifold, upped the CR to within a smidgen of the maximum allowed, and added an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. That final piece of the puzzle helped Cameron make a small herd of new horseys on Bowie's Miata.

Actually, Giles has me worried for 2008 so it's time to get off the stick.

K

Greg Amy
10-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Then just take Monday off work.[/b]
Already am. Takes two days - roughly 18-20 hours - to get home to the Northeast (or one VERY long day, which we've sworn to never do again...)

924Guy
10-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Great... another German car in my rearview camera... :P :eclipsee_steering:

tom91ita
10-21-2007, 12:22 PM
[/b]

that would be both before and after he does a little bump and run and you do a 180°?

good luck guys!

tom, who keeps thinking it would be good to attend before entering next year but has blown his vacation on other things.

RacerBowie
10-21-2007, 12:51 PM
[/b]

Good luck with that!

Are you really planning on getting lapped in a 20 lap sprint? B)

924Guy
10-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Well, I do have a bad habit of having to charge through the field once or twice on these races, so odds are you'll all get your 3 seconds of fame! :lol:

shwah
10-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Good luck guys. I wish I could come play, and planned to when I wasn't able to make MidO, but man I burned a lot of vacation time with that new baby thing, and just can't do it.

Hopefully I can plan better next year for these must do events.