PDA

View Full Version : Barber Video

Parrish57
10-18-2007, 04:58 PM
I finally joined the U Tube world. My first video is from Barber this past July. More to come!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIwHKSnyrRI

paul59
10-18-2007, 06:38 PM
Nice video... need to get it in a different place. The mirror kills it...

Hotshoe
10-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Nice video... need to get it in a different place. The mirror kills it...
[/b]

.... Paul,

..... What you don't know is, lol , he was using the mirror more than anything else..... :eclipsee_steering:

..... Sorry Steve ........... I couldn't help myself.. :dead_horse:

..... I would like a "I beat Steve E." T-shirt

........Rickey T.

JeffYoung
10-21-2007, 01:14 AM
Good vid Steve, I forgot how much I enjoyed that track.

Did you guys see it got moved to Labor Day next year? Sure makes it easier to head on down there.

Parrish57
10-22-2007, 10:19 AM
Yeah, that's a big mirror... Too bad you can't see what's going on behind the car.. There was a lot of action back there, like Rickey shaking a finger at me. He thinks I'm NUMBER 1!!!!

Ron Earp
10-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Nice video there, I enjoyed watching that.

You doing all digital on your recording or using a camera? I just got a digital setup that goes to SD card rigged up in my Z and spent about $200 on it. I think it'll work well and I'll give it a go at VIR.

Ron

Parrish57
10-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Ron... I just have a digital camcorder. It turns out that it is pretty fragile. I've had to have it repaired twice and it is on the fritz again. I'll be looking for a new setup for next year. There have been quit a few good threads about video setups on this forum. I would like to get as many opinions as possible on new setups???????????

Ron Earp
10-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Steve I had a digital camcorder about a year or so ago, but it broke. I think this solid state thing I've rigged up will work. I'll try it and have a look, you can check it at VIR if you like. The SD card comes right out of the data box and into my laptop in QT format, so we should be able to have a look at the track.

Biggest problem I had was a 5V supply for the data box. I had to take a 5V solid state reference supply and use it, but the current draw was too high and it overheated. So, I took three of those, ran them in parallel, and diode isolated them so they wouldn't "fight" each other. I mounted them together and put a 12V mini fan on them. So far that seems okay, but only driving the car around will tell. If it goes bad it is protected with a push button circuit breaker so it shouldn't be an issue.

R

Carlos Gutierrez
10-22-2007, 09:33 PM
very nice quality video and sweeet sounds outta that straight six. Could listen to that motor all day.
Oh, uh, Mr Parrish, since no one else mentioned it, please allow me to suggest to use the brakes to slow the car, not the gears. Winced a couple times on downshifts, heard valves floating. Congrats to whoever built that motor. The top end was assembled very well :)

happy racing,
Carlos Gutierrez

Parrish57
10-23-2007, 07:08 AM
Thanks Carlos... You are absolutly right and I was wondering when someone would point out my early downshifts. I caught myself doing that too many times and the video doesn't lie. The heat of the battle causes mistakes. I had Steve Eckerich, David Kim, and Rickey T on my bumper!!

As for the sound, the credit has to go to the custom header built by Sam Neave. It takes the exhaust down to a single 2.5 inch collector. I get a lot of compliments on the sweet note and I get more than a few accusations that I "must be turning that motor 8000 RPM". I assure you I shift at under 7000!!

My early downshifts caught up to me... After that race it was idleing rough and the compression was low on a couple of cylinders. I took it out of the car to be freshened up by Sam Neave.....

Carlos Gutierrez
10-23-2007, 03:42 PM
I have to respect a man that is open to an unsolicited suggestion ... 57, you got a fan here. :023:
That tapered down to a 2.5 inch collector system is the same that Don Devendorf used in his all conquering 240 / 260 back in the day. Remembering that same high note down the back straight at Road Atlanta in the mid to late 70's. 7000 rpm does sound like 9000 ! Symphony sweet notes, and this coming from a diehard rotary guy.
on the downshifts; try to hold off the downshift until just before turn in, then on the throttle immediately as you turn in (1/4 gas). In the video you had noticable understeer, with an earlier turn in / apex and earlier 1/4 throttle it will help rotate the car and get you pointed straight and full throttle quicker. One time you picked up the throttle at the apex and you closed 3 car lengths on the car in front ! Do that everytime and Mr E et all will have to buy your tee-shirt :026:
Good luck with the new motor,
Carlos Gutierrez