Rumor Mill

spnkzss

Getting repaved? Any confirmations/information?

I've heard it is basically suppose to remove all concrete and complete by this weekend.

New paving? Yes - but unfortunately no time to let it cure. I expect there will be lots of bump, uneven pavement as a result. Sure hope I'm wrong.

I just don't get why so many tracks try to cram paving into a tight schedule, then a month (maybe ) later, the things all torn up with concrete patches. Why not wait until the season is over and let it cure properly?

I just don't get why so many tracks try to cram paving into a tight schedule, then a month (maybe ) later, the things all torn up with concrete patches. Why not wait until the season is over and let it cure properly?
[/b]

Because, by the time the season is over, it usually is too late in the year to pave.

In the NE, paving stops just before Christmas. I'd think Summit could just not book some events at the end of the year, Worth it in the long run....

SP is pretty much a year round operation, and alot of it has nothing to do with racing OR track days. Cancel a car club event or three? Yes. Cancel those government driver training events? What are you, nuts? :blink:

That truly is a shame that they are paving over the concrete and not milling the whole track. The curbs should be fun now. If you are going to do it right, why do it? :bash_1_:

Got to agree that, in some places, hitting the curb isn't going to unsettle the car as much. In other places - say the carousel where the curbing is at racing surface level - it might unsettle the car more, depending on what they do about the curbs.

My initial reaction is that, come along July, there will be pot holes down to the concrete in T1 and T3, but I've GOT to believe that BSR is aware of the risk and does not want to see his very expensive paving job ruined in less than a year. I.e. Steps have been taken to ensure that asphalt will stick to concrete.

It's going to be a whole new ball game next year folks. All of the pavement changes, cracks, lines, paint, etc that you either conciously or subconciously used for brake and turn in markers are gone. It'll be like a Twilight Zone where you are in an alternate universe where everything is the same, except some things are different.

Back