PDA

View Full Version : Sails

JeffYoung
10-04-2007, 10:20 PM
I would like to propose a rule change. I would like to add the following to the ITCS:

"Sails are free. Any sail may be added, modified, deleted, removed, or replaced. Spherical sails are allowed. However, stock sail washers must be retained. Original VIN number sails only may be used. If an identical sail but with a different VIN is used, the car must be immediately moved to ITBa. ITBa is a new class, short for ITBastard.

Replacement sails of the same thickness, length, width, size and creamy whiteness may be used. Off-white is not allowed. Sails may be coated, plated, painted, REMed, dipped, smoothered, covered, splattered and spleefed."

Sails will add speed, pagentry, and increased fuel mileage to IT, all worthy goals.

Sails!

Andy Bettencourt
10-04-2007, 11:00 PM
I'll have what Jeff is drinking...

Z3_GoCar
10-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Do you have James May's winning aquacar in mind? Humm?

"A Sail, A Sail"

Mercutio, a man of the house of Montigue

James

jjjanos
10-05-2007, 12:26 AM
Sails will add speed, pagentry, and increased fuel mileage to IT, all worthy goals.
[/b]

I'm not certain that pagentry is consistent with class philosophy. In addition, this is just the first step in rules creep. If we allow this for sails, someone will be asking for a spinnaker and the next thing you know, some whiner is going to request that he be allowed to mount guns topside to repel borders.

Avast!

bonespec
10-05-2007, 01:13 AM
[/b]

make it a double

:birra: :wacko:

JLawton
10-05-2007, 06:36 AM
I would like to propose a rule change. I would like to add the following to the ITCS:

"Sails are free. Any sail may be added, modified, deleted, removed, or replaced. Spherical sails are allowed. However, stock sail washers must be retained. Original VIN number sails only may be used. If an identical sail but with a different VIN is used, the car must be immediately moved to ITBa. ITBa is a new class, short for ITBastard.

Replacement sails of the same thickness, length, width, size and creamy whiteness may be used. Off-white is not allowed. Sails may be coated, plated, painted, REMed, dipped, smoothered, covered, splattered and spleefed."

Sails!
[/b]

Jeff,
You had me until the "stock sail washers must be retained". That's a silly rule, real sale cars don't run with sale washers, why should we!!!

:D

I would rather not have what Jeff is drinking, thank you.....
;)

dickita15
10-05-2007, 07:22 AM
Jeff I am protesting you. Your substitution of the allowed sale is a tortured interpretation. :P

Greg Amy
10-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Doesn't anyone use the search anymore??? Geez, we've discussed this in detail several times already!! You think opinions are gonna change???

Little button at the top, see? It says "Search"...

steve b
10-05-2007, 09:04 AM
I say go ahead and allow sails. Probably no advantage to them anyway, I looked up in NASA PT mods and sails are free.

pballance
10-05-2007, 09:06 AM
[/b]

I think he found the "worm" in the bottom of the bottle. :026:

Actually with the Lucas electrics of his car he might want the rule change so that he could keep an emergency sail on board just in case the car died on track. It would be a great benefit to his competitors in getting the green machine to the pits so he doesn't slow down traffic :D

jrvisual
10-05-2007, 09:14 AM
I believe the electrical system in the green wedge still retains all its stock smoke supply. The slowing of the wedge on the track is never caused by electrical issues but by failures cause by the monkeys who wrench on it.

:026:

JeffYoung
10-05-2007, 09:17 AM
I've decided I hate the SCCA, the ITAC, the CRB and the BoD. I'm going to take my sails and go race with PASA, the Pirate American Speed Association.

And no one can have what I am drinking.....

jrvisual
10-05-2007, 09:21 AM
You just said the magic word. Earp will be posting soon.

pballance
10-05-2007, 09:31 AM
New logo

benspeed
10-05-2007, 09:45 AM
I will only agree if I can run the sale on my ITE Minivan and everybody has to run 10 inch rims on bias ply dirtstockers while they are drinking Jeff's brew in grid.

BlueStreak
10-05-2007, 10:21 AM
I was beginning to believe even I could not threadjack this thread, but then I realized:

If sails become free, then rudders will be next, this is a slippery slope gentleman...

shwah
10-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Aw man, all this time I have been trying to figure out how to sail past the field in turn 1.

Now it is so obvious...this is not possible without a full effort sail development program.

Now I have a winter project :026:

Zneed4speed
10-05-2007, 01:16 PM
There is certainly enough hot air blowing here for the sails to add a competitive advantage.

erlrich
10-05-2007, 01:33 PM
So all I want to know is, does this mean I'm now going to have to go out and buy a bigger sail? Geez, I just spent $1,000 on a new sail last year :mad1:

DavidM
10-05-2007, 02:08 PM
Sails are already allowed. They just have to be folded up and custom stitched to fit in the trunk, which is expensive. This rule just allows the sails to be opened up, which will make it easier for the rest of us to afford sails.

Come sail away, come sail away, come saaiiiilll away with me......man where did that come from.....I think I'll take some of the stuff Jeff's on....

David

JeffYoung
10-05-2007, 02:26 PM
David, I'm just high on life man.

And what is that hard rock sh#t??? THIS is what Sails are all about:

It's not far down to paradise
At least it's not for me
And if the wind is right you can sail away
And find tranquility
The canvas can do miracles
Just you wait and see
Believe me

It's not far to never never land
No reason to pretend
And if the wind is right you can find the joy
Of innocence again
Just you wait and see
Believe me

Sailing
Takes me away
To where I've always heard it could be
Just a dream and the wind to carry me
And soon I will be free

Fantasy
It gets the best of me
When I'm sailing
All caught up in the reverie
Every word is a symphony
Won't you believe me

It's not far back to sanity
At least it's not for me
And when the wind is right you can sail away
And find serenity
Just you wait and see
Believe me

Whoa......you guys are right...what was I drinking?

erlrich
10-05-2007, 02:36 PM
Reading this thread I can't help but be reminded of that great line from the opening of "Mythbusters"...

I reject your reality and substitute my own...

steve b
10-05-2007, 02:43 PM

And what is that hard rock sh#t??? THIS is what Sails are all about:

It's not far down to paradise
At least it's not for me
And if the wind is right you can sail away
And find tranquility
Just you wait and see
Believe me

It's not far to never never land
No reason to pretend
Of innocence again
Just you wait and see
Believe me
Sailing
Takes me away
To where I've always heard it could be
Just a dream and the wind to carry me
And soon I will be free
Fantasy
It gets the best of me
When I'm sailing
All caught up in the reverie
Every word is a symphony
Won't you believe me
It's not far back to sanity
At least it's not for me
And when the wind is right you can sail away
And find serenity
Just you wait and see
Believe me
[/b]

As I read this I thought, "Man I've lost all respect for Jeff knowing that he knows these lyrics". Then I realized, "dude, you just confirmed that the lyrics are correct?" Now I have no respect for myself.

Oh, and I've heard that Mr. Bigbucks has been developing and using clear sails for years.

pballance
10-05-2007, 02:47 PM

[/b]

There Jeff goes breaking wind again.................... :D

BlueStreak
10-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Aren't sails only legal in IT"S"? - ba da bing

JeffYoung
10-05-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm telling you man, those Reamerworld 527ezs and the Snotsource SQ9s* have been using invisible sails to keep the rest of us down for years, man. I'll telling ya! I'm telling ya!

*No offense to James Clay, Sylvain Tremblay et all and any resemblance to IT dominating speed shops is purely coincidental.

tom_sprecher
10-05-2007, 05:23 PM
This is BS! Now only those who can afford sails will be competitive forcing the rest of us to pony up. I propose we set up a sail comp review board who will decide on a spec sail.

dickita15
10-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Sorry Tom but those of us that have a factory sail deal would be terribly hurt by a spec sail rule. Allowing competition from sail suppliers will help cost from rising.

JeffYoung
10-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Ah, but Dick, you must be one of the privileged few getting those free sails from the Slick Rick's Sailward-Ho shop, the ones that are a day or two faster on a round the world voyage. If you were not so privileged, you might be stuck with us slow guys taking well over 80 days to go from New York to, uh, well I guess New York.

IT Sail. Bring it boys.

CaptJon
10-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Since we are taling about opening up the sail rule, we are going to have to revisit the allowed modifications to the keel to handle this new power that we will be applying.

And rather than gun mounts we should embrace new technology and look at missle launchers to keep them farther away. That repealing boarders stuff is dangerous.

Aaaarrrrrgh matey

ScotMac
10-06-2007, 12:30 PM
And what is w/ this 6" wide sail rule for B and C sailors? uh, i mean drivers. The boats, err i mean cars, are correctly differentiated based on sail power-to-weight and tack (and jive) speed. I have yet to find a suitable 6" sail, but 7" sails are still plentiful at reasonable prices. And this is not about a competitive advantage. The 6" sails actually can give a sailor, err driver, an aero advantage in many situations, and tack (jive), err turn, faster than the 7" sails.

:D :D :D
:026:

JohnRW
10-08-2007, 11:02 AM
The CRSLAB (Club Racing Sail Loft Advisory Board) has again "stepped on their dangly bits". They've allowed for addition of any sail, but have neglected to allow for appropriate rigging. What good is a spinnaker without a pole ? Will there be a penalty for setting a sail wrong (the old "pointy end up" problem) ??? What good is a genoa without the salami ???

I'm moving to NASA. At least they can lauch a rocket every now and then.

dickita15
10-08-2007, 11:08 AM
John the rigging is implied just like when it says I can substitute any steering wheel being able to weld it on is acceptable.

RacerBill
10-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Since we are taling about opening up the sail rule, we are going to have to revisit the allowed modifications to the keel to handle this new power that we will be applying.

Aaaarrrrrgh matey
[/b]

Are you implying that centerboards get subtractors and keels get adders when pluging them into the 'process'?

What about winged keels, or canting keels?

sgallimo
10-08-2007, 03:31 PM
You guys remember the pictures of Jeff's car in chest deep water driver's left of turn 1 at VIR a few years ago??? Maybe he is serious about this request....

JoshS
10-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Are you implying that centerboards get subtractors and keels get adders when pluging them into the 'process'?

What about winged keels, or canting keels?
[/b]
Oh for heaven's sake! This thread is about sails, not keels! Why does everyone always try to change the subject away from the #1 priority, which as we all know, is fixing the dumbest rule ever, the IT sail rule?

JeffYoung
10-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Now that is funny. Maybe that was the subconscious basis for this lark and frolic!

Guys, Scott is actually 100% accurate. My VERY FIRST RACE weekend, the Dan River at VIR was up so high that a dude in a pontoon boat was able to sail? float? to wihtin a 100 yards or so of turn 1. About 30-40 feet off of turn 1, the water was about 3-4 feet deep. I splashed, TWICE, that weekend. Could have used a sail, or a trolling motor.

Is the trolling motor legal?

You guys remember the pictures of Jeff's car in chest deep water driver's left of turn 1 at VIR a few years ago??? Maybe he is serious about this request....
[/b]

DavidM
10-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Is the trolling motor legal?
[/b]

There you go. We haven't even figured out what to do with sails yet and already somebody wants a trolling motor. Next thing you know it'll be "Are quad 200 hp outboard motors legal?"

David

JeffYoung
10-08-2007, 06:56 PM
My trolling motor is spherical and fits in my tailpipe with a tack weld. It is therefore, an exhaust system. It is free.

mlytle
10-08-2007, 09:46 PM
holy crap, you guys are killing me! i spent 10+years on the tech committee for an international spec sailboat racing class. this thread is giving me flashbacks to real "discussions" about sails...and keels, and rudders... :o

why did i volunteer for the ITAC again? :lol:

lateapex911
10-09-2007, 12:40 AM
Marshall, I've raced one design here and in England...car racing and the ITAC are easy peasy compared to that!

mlytle
10-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Marshall, I've raced one design here and in England...car racing and the ITAC are easy peasy compared to that!
[/b]

oh yeah! nothing quite like being in the protest room until after midnight at the one of the big j/24 international regattas...man you want to talk about egos!

on the plus side, through sailing i developed an great ability to repair holes in cored fiberglass! :bash_1_:

think i still have a spinny and mylar genoa somewhere...have to see if they fit the ITR car... :D