PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cell Foam longevity?

Eric P
10-04-2007, 08:53 AM
I've got a car with a Fuel Safe fuel cell that was "born" in 1998. It is almost 10 years old. How long does the foam last until it starts breaking down.
It has always had 92 or 104 octane (not an IT car) in it.

joeg
10-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Follow the manufacturer's advice. It is certainly not more than 5 years.

Cheers.

mbuskuhl
10-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Change that stuff ASAP. I had an ATL cell from '98 that ended up clogging the fuel pump last year causing it to fry. The pump died in the middle of a race. The foam will deteriorate and clog your filter or pump. My new setup is completely different with a filter before and after the pumps. I have since heard 5 years as well for the change frequency.

Eric P
10-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Uh, yep, the Fuel Safe site says 3 to 5 years. I've heard similar horror stories about clogs! Not gonna start it 'til I get that outta there!

Thanks guys!

E

Parrish57
10-04-2007, 01:43 PM
I replaced my foam a last year. In a conversation with the rep from Fuel Safe he said that they had a problem with one of the popular race fuels having an additive that accelerated the breakdown of the foam. I believe that has been corrected but it is always wise to change it out at least every 5 years.

DavidM
10-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Sounds like I should change mine as well. Where do you get new foam? Can you just call up the manufacturer and say I have XX fuel cell and they can hook you up with some new stuff? Are there 3rd party manufacturers of foam?

Thanks.

David

mbuskuhl
10-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Sounds like I should change mine as well. Where do you get new foam? Can you just call up the manufacturer and say I have XX fuel cell and they can hook you up with some new stuff? Are there 3rd party manufacturers of foam?

Thanks.

David
[/b]

Yes, order from the your cells manufacturer. If your cell is not too old they have pre-cut foam for your exact model which makes things easier. Cells out of production get foam blanks that you need to trim a little. I wouldn't think there would be much demand from a 3rd party supplier, ATL or Fuel Safe got the market.

dickita15
10-04-2007, 06:01 PM
I was talking to an E Prod Rx7 driver today that had fuel problems at the last race. Found the lines full of goop. He was told the ethanol in pump gas is causing foam breakdown. The recommendation was to drain the tank between races.