PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Tach

Dave28
10-03-2007, 08:12 PM
:wacko: Dose anyone know how to hook up an aftermarket tach Ina neon? Do you need a tacha adpter?

Streetwise guy
10-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Most of the kits you get now have a setting to be triggered from a distributorless system. I bought a cheap one from Napa that actually uses an inductive pickup on one plug wire, and it seems to work very well. If you are trying to use an older tach, each coil trigger wire pulses once per crankshaft revolution, while a 4 cylinder engine with a distributor pulses twice per crank revolution, so if you have a 2 cylinder setting it will work. Or use a sharpie to write 6000 where 3000 is, and so on. Or am I backwards thinking me? maybe 3000 where 6000 is.... :blink:

Dave28
10-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks, I'll try it.

mtownneon
10-10-2007, 11:18 AM
'95 Neons need a tach adapter, but all later Neons all you need to do is tap the tach lead into the tach wire in the dash harness. The wire you want to tap is grey/light blue. Hook the light wire to the orange wire, then power and ground as you see fit. I tapped into the fuse box for keyed power and grounded to one ot the dash bolts. Works fine.