PDA

View Full Version : Ray Blethen III (Sr.)

RSTPerformance
09-29-2007, 11:00 PM
Hello all...

We had a bit of a wake up call last night... and I know many people would want to know... this is probably the easiest way to get the word out.

As many may or may not know my dad is getting maried to a wonderfull woman (JoAnne) in a couple weeks whom many of you probably know as she is always at the track supporting and helping out dad as well as us :).

Anyway last night we had a Bachelor party for him... It was a 100 Lap endurance race on gocarts where 2 person teams went up against him runnng the entire race on his own. He made it half way and pulled off not feeling well. He said he was fine and watched with everyone for the remander of the race. We then all went off to the 2nd stop of the night and when he still didn't feel better he made the decission and we took him to the Hospital.

It ended up being a Heart Attack. One of his arteries was 99% blocked so they put in a stint. He is recovering well and we hope he will get to go home on Monday. He wont be able to make it to the Glen next weekend so his season has been ended early. I am sure he would love to hear from all those in IT land, to get his hopes up on next season running the Porche in ITS, so post something (he reads IT.com every day - although not while at the hospital), you can also send him an e-mail or give him a call!!!

Raymond "You can never be to carefull, take care of yourself and always see the doctor if you don't feel right" Blethen

PS: Hope all had fun at the NARRC, sorry I wasn't able to see the races, we will all be their next year :)

Andy Bettencourt
09-29-2007, 11:26 PM
WOW! Good luck Sr!!!!

philstireservice
09-30-2007, 01:16 AM
I'm sooooooo glad it was caught early !!!! Thank God. Your Dad rocks !!! All our best..... :happy204:

Kim & Phil

dickita15
09-30-2007, 05:38 AM
Jesus Ray, don’t you know bachelor parties and go carts are much more dangerous that race weekends.

Good timing though in dealing with this now at the end of the season so you only miss one race weekend.

We will need to however get a ruling as to whether a stent is a legal modification in IT.

Get well fast. :023:

tdw6974
09-30-2007, 07:01 AM
Ray, You do what the Docs tell you :018: best wishes for a speedy and full recovery and glad you did the right thing going to hospital. The Weaver crew. Bill,Tom, Ann, Lisa, & Gaby

Eagle7
09-30-2007, 08:08 AM
We will need to however get a ruling as to whether a stent is a legal modification in IT.[/b]

Gee Dick, pluming lines are almost universally open, so I'm sure that's not a problem.

Ray, I was hoping to meet you at the IT Spectacular. Heal fast and I'll see you next year.

Tkczecheredflag
09-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Ray Sr - You gotta watch out for the Karts with those F-1 equivalant "G-Forces" - they will get you every time.

Get well soon, so you can take that all important Czechered Flag when you say "I DO".

tom_sprecher
09-30-2007, 08:48 AM
I hope for a speedy and long lasting recovery. The same thing happened to my father almost 2 years ago during Christmas Dinner. Since then he has gone into an extreme fitness mode losing some 40 lbs. and his cholesterol is down to 112. That's so low I swear he creakes when he walks.

Get well soon!

Ed Funk
09-30-2007, 09:51 AM
:018: Ray IV: Pretty sleazey way to win a race!! :(

Ray III: Jeebus, my heart leaped into my throat, kind of like diving into that pit, turn 9 ? at Bryar. Get better quick, go slow and easy on your wedding night (that's the best way anyway!! :happy204: , and get your butt back in the seat next year and show these kids in ITS how it's done.

One of two still racing members of the "Green Mountain Boys",
Ed "The older I get, the faster I was" Funk :eclipsee_steering:

Ron
09-30-2007, 11:23 AM
A word to Ray III, My father had the full blown open heart in 2004, in November we will be running the 13 hour together in our ITB Mustang. It slowed him down for a year. Since then he has been a demon on the track and purchased a Porsche GT-3 as his daily driver. He is not going to let a day go by with out living it up in a car, with my mom, and his 10 grandchildren.

Get back to the track soon

Ron Sattele Jr.

67ITB
09-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Very sorry to hear about Ray SR. glad to hear that they caught it and were able to put the stent (sp?)in.

I notice that you didn't mention what the 2nd stop of the night was......... could that have been too much excitement for the old guy?

Matt Bal

MMiskoe
09-30-2007, 08:00 PM
I don't care how scary turn 1 at Bridgehampton was, things like this are worse. Words don't even begin to describe.

Hope for a speedy recovery & glad to know it got caught when it did.

I am surprised however, I was expecting the post to read that the wedding was going to be postponed until better health allowed, but next week at the glen was still on.

Matt

DaveITB1
09-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Ray Sr.

Best wishes from my wife Kim and I towards a speedy recovery. :023:

We will be looking for your lap times around the cardiac unit on MyLaps. Make sure your transponder is working correctly.

Dave & Kim Austin
Team Jagermeister

RaceSmart
10-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Ray Sr - hoping you have a fast recovery and continued good health. Please keep us posted on your progress! We know you'll be good as new for next season! Also, congrats on your impending wedding! Take good care of yourself (we're sure your new bride will!!!)!

Robert (Smarty) and Joanie

Bob Smart
Northeast Racing Tires
www.northeastracingtires.com
518-622-0329

Magical Trevor
10-01-2007, 08:33 AM
It's been a lucky year; first John Travers at the July 4 Regional and now this-it's wonderful to hear that they've already caught it and fixed it. Hope for a full and fast recovery! :)

gran racing
10-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Glad to hear you went to the hospital to get everything checked out. Pretty scary stuff. Get well quickly - I'll need plenty of your help trying to beat up on Ray Jr. and Steven when ITS & ITB are mixed together.

jcmotorsports
10-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Ray Sr.
Best wishes and get well soon!

gsbaker
10-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Get well soon, Dad. We need you around to keep those boys in line--like that's possible. ;)

RacerBill
10-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Ray Sr. (& Jr.) Great call - nice catch. Had a scare myself a couple of years ago, chest and arm pains. Had my wife take me to the hospital. Everything they did to me made me feel worse! Took x-rays, ran me on a treadmill, pumped me up with stuff that came in double lead lined containers (glowed in the dark for a week!) and they found nothing - almost wish they had, just to make the pain worth while. Doctors could find no trace of anything.

But even with all that, I would still hit the hospital if they ever come back. I also survived a bout with cancer that would not have been caught if I didn't break down and go in for a checkup. Hadn't been sick in 50 years before that!

But glad to here you're getting better. Just remember to follow all the doctors' orders and leave the rest to our other Father.

Good luck! Hope to see you at MO in August.

BobsAuto
10-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Ray, I just had to add my 2 cents worth. I am so happy you are recovering so well. You are certainly a good friend to Bob and I, a fantastic racer, and the fantastic father of those two "devils" we call our sons. Bob and I wish you a speedy recovery and most of all, all the happiness that life can give you. God bless and best wishes.

Bob and Trish

ray50
10-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Just to give an update - doing quite well - will be able to go back to work in another 10 days or so - looking forward to it as i am getting boared hanging around house - not even allowed to work on race the car (and it does need it) - looking forward to a complete season next year in ITS - thanks for all your coments and concerns realy apreciated reading them - doctor did tell me this would make me faster so watch out
hope to see you at a track in the spring -Ray Sr

one last note dont let my boys plan any partys for you - they cah br dangerous

JLawton
10-04-2007, 09:17 AM
See, they should have hired the girls instead of doing Karts!! ;)

Good to hear news!!