PDA

View Full Version : MK IV Coilovers

AE86ITA
09-28-2007, 10:58 AM
We have just helped a friend with his MKIV Golf VR6 installing the Bilstein PSS9 coilover kit and we are trying to set up the correct higdht. Since different wheel/tire combo will give different hight measurements we will refer to the distance from the center of the hub to the most upper edge of the fender well.

In the rear the lowest the car would go is 14" from the center of the hub to the edge of the fender well. In the front it stands about 13.5". I must say that measuring from the rocker panel the car is about 1¼" lower in the front in relation to the rear.

Is there anyone with a similar setup that could share some light on the correct higdht for this car.

Thanks everyone,

Efrain

Knestis
09-28-2007, 04:18 PM
How similar to the MkIII is the MkIV?

K

keycom
09-28-2007, 05:55 PM
How similar to the MkIII is the MkIV?

K
[/b]

The Mk IV still has McPherson struts up front. Don't lower the car below the point where the LCA's are parallel. Pointing down a bit toward the hubs would be even better. 1.5" to 2" max drop probably.

jsilverman
09-28-2007, 11:46 PM
My mk4 VR6 had the control arms basically at parallel from the factory.

Conover
10-04-2007, 05:43 PM
It's a beam in the rear as well, just has a different spring location.

Start with 5" from the pinch weld to the floor and see how that puts you with the LCAs.

I'm guessing this is a track or dual purpose car?

what spring rates?

AE86ITA
10-05-2007, 12:39 PM
We went by rule of thumb and sat the rear at its lowest and just raised the front until the rocker panels were parallel to the ground. The owner now calls it the "Monster Golf" as it seats pretty high.

The front control arms are parallel to the ground and just driving it around at the softest the customer is very impressed with the handling. There is a SOLO event this weekend and we should now how much has it improved by this coilover kit.

The spring rates are 400 in front and 300 in the rear. That compared with the Tein lowering springs and Tokico Iluminas up front and HP in the rear made a huge improvement.

Thanks everyone,