PDA

View Full Version : 1999 F350 electrical gremlins

tom91ita
09-27-2007, 12:07 PM
when i left the NASA Nationals, i knew i had to get fuel in about an hour based on only having about a 1/4 tank when arriving at Mid-Ohio.

but when i left, the tank read full and never moved. first thought was a bad sending unit.

i stopped (and turned off the truck) in Bucyrus and fueled up. when i left Bucyrus, the speedo did not work and the light for the lock-up on the end switch on the gear selector was flashing indicating it was off. but it was not off. i could hit the button and go in and out of the OD and the light would flash saying it was off the whole time. and the fuel gauge had resumed working except for it taking a while to show up on the gauge.

but the average fuel mileage starting dropping right away which i interpreted as loss of signal from the speedometer but the fuel gauge was slowly dropping.

two hours later at a rest stop, stopped & started the truck again and all is well and has been for the last three times i have run the truck?

if it was just the fuel gauge, the fuel sending unit might make sense but what could cause all of these? bad ground somewhere?

i've looked a few truck sites like dieselstop, etc. but can't find the combination of these things.

tia,

tom