PDA

View Full Version : Wheel size for ITR

pimpm3
09-23-2007, 02:34 PM
I was reading through the GCR and I ran across a discrepancy.

9.1.3 Section 7 Wheels/Tires

In the first Paragraph 1. it states... "Cars may not fit wheel diameters smaller then those listed on their spec line. All other cars shall retain the wheel diameter fitted as original equipment for there make, model, and type. " but he GCR states in italics two lines down "Cars classified in ITR may utilize any wheel diameter up to 17" or retain their stock diameter wheels if larger."

The car I am building is a 2000 Celica GT-S it came with a 15 inch wheel from the factory but most of the cars were equipped with the optional 16 Inch wheels. The Spec line states a 16 inch wheel but according to the italicized ITR rule I can run any wheel as long as it is less then a 17. My question is can a run a 15 Inch wheel? It came with them from the factory and the ITR rules say I can run whatever wheel I want as long as it is not larger then a 17, but the spec line says 16, and the GCR says no wheels smaller then the spec line.

I don't want to order 15 inch wheels and tires only to find out they won't work in the class.

Greg Amy
09-23-2007, 03:06 PM
I ran across a discrepancy.[/b]

I don't see a discrepancy in the rules, I see a potential errors and omissions correction.

If the car truly had 15" wheels as standard, then all you need to do is provide proof of that to the ITAC/CRB. At that point they'll correct the specs to show 15" instead of 16" standard.

Until then you would, indeed, be contrary to the rules running 15" wheels.

...according to the italicized ITR rule I can run any wheel as long as it is less then a 17.[/b]
Negative. The first line overrides that ("[c]ars may not fit wheel diameters smaller then those listed on their spec line."

Provide proof and it'll get changed.

GA

pimpm3
09-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Greg what do I need to get as proof, I looked online and found that they came standard with a 205/55/15 Inch wheel tire combo with the option for a 16 Inch wheel. Do I need an original sales brochure or is a website about the car proof enough?

Greg Amy
09-23-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't know exactly what level of proof the ITAC may need to make the recommendation to the CRB, but I suggest any formal literature from Toyota will do. I also suggest that a web reference is insufficient.

Both Jake Gulick and Andy Bettencourt are active here and on the ITAC; maybe they can offer insight? - GA

Gary L
09-24-2007, 07:56 AM
I would think that wheel and tire options would typically be in the factory shop manual, right?

lateapex911
09-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Shop and owners manuals often list sizes appropriate to the country of sale. Scan and Email that to us (the ITAC/CRB) ( [email protected]) and we'll take care of it.

It's also probably in some digital format as well, in a library, perhaps, or a microfiche or service document. Even a paper copy mailed to us would be fine, but who mails anything anymore? ;)

pimpm3
09-24-2007, 12:02 PM
I just sent an email with a scan from the factory shop manual. That should take care of it. Thanks for all of the help everyone...