PDA

View Full Version : KA24DE For Racing Purposes

midngn
09-20-2007, 03:44 PM
I have had real bad luck with a shop building/replacing engines in my S14 Race Car. I need to start from scratch. I want to have a reliable KA Motor put back in the car and actually enter and finish a race. The last 3 times the engine temp spiked and the bearings got fried. Subsequent rod know followed and I am left with yet another shot motor.

I am considering a few courses of action:

1. just getting a junk motor or one removed from a car for an SR20 swap, low mileage if I can find one and try and install it myself. About $500-$1400.

2. Get a rebuilt motor from a reputable source (Top Hat or AMS Performance) feel free to make suggesstions. Since most of these motors are set for boost, I could have a "Stock" motor built, maybe add some cams. $3-4,000

3. Try and find a destroyed car with a good engine so I can fire it up and know that it works BEFORE I put it in, remove it and install it, junk the scrap or keep some spares. $1000 and up.

I welcome any thoughts or ideas, please.

zracre
09-20-2007, 03:59 PM
I would suggest a used motor with a warranty...yes it is a race car but the warranty should be good to see if it is a good motor or not...most recyclers would check compression and give mileage.

Jake
09-20-2007, 04:14 PM
You should be able to find good used KA24DE's for under $300 w/trans from people who did SR swaps.

Get on some drift boards. There was a local guy up here who was selling his motor for $50.

A motor with 120,000 miles will probably put out more power than a fresh rebuild anyway - it will be nice and loose.

DavidM
09-20-2007, 05:30 PM
KA motors are pretty easy to come by. Just search around for the best one available. I don't think the stock motors handle getting zinged as well as a built motor so you just have to watch it.

If you're going to spend $4k for a motor you might as well drop $1-2k more and get a fully built motor. There's the usual suspects - Rebello, Sunbelt, etc. I'm sure there's somebody up in the NE that has experience with the KAs as well.

David

invisible saddle
09-22-2007, 05:43 AM
I do remember a basic upgrade was using the automatic turbo oil pump out of a 280zx or z31. that was an upgrade to a sohc motor. however i'm unsure if it cross-references to work on a dohc motor as well. I'd say fresh bearings and using 91-94 exhaust cams on the intake side (remember to clock the cam 4 teeth clockwise). Other then that a bigger oil cooler is all I can suggest.

GT240sx
09-23-2007, 01:55 PM
I have an early 90's KA24DE sitting in my garage just waiting for someone to buy it. Send me a PM if you are interested. I am in Indianapolis.