PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want an almost free Isaac for the ARRC?

gsbaker
09-20-2007, 03:33 PM
What, you think we spend all summer just lying around? Playing golf or fishing, maybe? Well, forget that nonsense. Da Boss has us chained to our drafting tables here in Area 51, beating on us to come up with new designs. With nothing but bread and water here in the dungeon, it's been a horrible summer.

Okay, so you don't believe that. Would you believe this?

Engineer A: "Hey, you think this would work?"
Engineer B: "Sure. Why not." (How's that for science?)

We've roughed up a variation of our Link design that needs absolutely no connector on the helmet. You just make the usual belt connection and then do the secret magic trick at the helmet end. No drilling holes, no nuts and bolts, no adhesive, no nuthin'. Five minutes after you open the box, you're rollin'. Want to give it to a buddy to try? Great. Five minutes later he's rollin.' Honest. My face hurts from grinning so much.

Does it work as well as a real Isaac system? Not a chance; it does not use dampers. Does it work as well as an Isaac Link? Probably not as well, but it will be close; it probably ranks fourth in the world, right behind the Link, and will pass the SFI 38.1 load spec and the WSU 2KN limit.

Why do I say probably? Because we haven't tested it yet. Hell, we haven't even built one, but the functional difference between this design and the Link is so small that the performance will be similar.

So, several things are coming together:
1. We need to build a bunch for next season.
2. We would love to get some feedback from users in preparation for the 2008 rollout--test marketing, beta testing, pilot program, whatever you want to call it.
3. The ARRC is coming up, and in the past is has been a great place to get face-to-face fresh ideas from real racers.

We need a head count of potential ARRC users for a first production run, but there are two issues that need to be addressed, one ethical and one economic. With respect to ethics, we must insist that users be racers who are presently not using any head and neck restraint. Why? Because it is possible we may not get a prototype tested before the ARRC as this is a very busy time for test labs. Until testing is completed, we only want drivers whose heads are already flopping around in the breeze. :)

On the economics side, we can't do this for free even though we'd like to just to get the feedback. In the past at the ARRC we have given free upgrades to existing customers, but that was a fixed number. If we offer free systems to try we may have a volume problem from people who may not be serious about it. So, there will be a standard rental charge ($65) which can be applied to a 50% discount as a thank you for your participation. We can use the current Link pricing of $295, meaning the net to you is only $147.50 if you decide to purchase. Even if you don't, you still have a great improvement in safety for $16.25 per day--and no futzing with the helmet.

Any takers?

Xian
09-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Sounds like a great offer! I'm sure you should end up with quite a bit of interest in this new product.

I'd take you up on it but I've already got an Intermediate ISAAC :D

Christian

gsbaker
09-21-2007, 08:30 AM
...I'd take you up on it but I've already got an Intermediate ISAAC :D

Christian
[/b]
:023:

You da man!

Greg Amy
09-21-2007, 08:35 AM
If you're willing to cover for a Wright Device guy, I'm interested. While the device is working well (I guess), it's time to move on. - GA

lateapex911
09-21-2007, 09:25 AM
If you want feedback Gregg, hook him up, and you'll get feedback......and lots of it! ;)

gsbaker
09-21-2007, 09:40 AM
If you want feedback Gregg, hook him up, and you'll get feedback......and lots of it! ;)
[/b]
Yeah, we were a little worried about that part... ;)

If you're willing to cover for a Wright Device guy, I'm interested. While the device is working well (I guess), it's time to move on. - GA
[/b]
We would be honored. Those are some big shoes to fill.

Hahn63
09-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Gregg,

Not going to the ARRC, but going to be running the 13 hour of VIR. I bet I could get a couple of my drivers to try it out. Always looking for a better mouse trap! :D

Roland

RussMcB
09-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Gregg, I'm interested. I have a formula car and will be racing at the ARRC. I've never worn any type of head & neck restraint system.

Thanks.

Beran
09-26-2007, 03:41 PM
I might be willing to try it.
I use nothing at this time.
Thanks,
Beran
ITB VW Golf
617-803-3658
beran at beranpeter dot com

gsbaker
09-26-2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the info, guys.

gsbaker
10-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Update:

All the components will be in house this week.

We have scheduled the lab for a load test on Monday afternoon. This is not a crash test with a dummy; it's
what's known as a single-load-to-failure test, i.e. we're going to apply an increasing load to it until it breaks.

Unfortunately, we are not able to schedule a crash test prior to the ARRC. However, as noted above, this design is functionally very similar to tested designs that have been proven very safe. It's performance will be obvious once testing is completed and we get some photos posted.

More to come.

gsbaker
10-15-2007, 05:40 PM
:) Oh, yeah...

Looks good. The load cell is still warm, and showed a total system strength of over one ton. Keep in mind that we need to conduct formal crash testing for the record, but everything we are seeing points to a very simple design that is theoretically good to at least 100Gs.

We'll try to get some photos posted as soon as we get a fresh assembly together. (The blown-up one looks rather ugly.)

In the meantime, everyone who has indicated they would like to try this at the ARRC (or elsewhere) needs to order it online, here (http://www.isaacdirect.com/html/order.html). Just order one "Rental" system and, in the comments section near the bottom, put something like "Revised Link per Gregg's posts." We can take it from there.

We want to thank everyone for participating with this field evaluation. Details to follow.

gsbaker
10-22-2007, 10:58 AM
We should have a short production run finished this week with plenty of time to ship for the ARRC, so everything is a go. Remember to order, per above.

gsbaker
10-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Wouldn't you know it. Just when everything arrives on time the main camera goes south. We'll pull out the backup unit and try to post something ASAP. In the meantime, please confirm your order (http://www.isaacdirect.com/html/order.html) if you haven't already (see posts above).

It looks very good and is easier to use than we expected.

Hint: Mil spec parachute webbing > forged 316 stainless steel snap shackle > chin strap.

:D

gsbaker
10-31-2007, 07:14 PM
Ta Da!

Here is the original Link:

http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Product/Link/NewLink/OriginalLink.jpg

(The roller at the bottom fits under the belt.)

At $295 it has proven to be the least expensive, high performance head and neck restraint in the world, behind only the original ISAAC and the Hans device:

http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/TestGraphs/Chart1.GIF

The primary drawback to this design is that casual/budget users, for whom it is designed, found the helmet connection a bit intimidating, and no one likes the idea of drilling holes in their helmet--although this mount is shown with the adhesive.

So, how does one simplify the connection? Get rid of it:

http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Product/Link/NewLink/NewLink.jpg

I know, it's hard to see, but the connection is made with a forged snap shacked connected to the chin strap. Here is the shackle open:

http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Product/Link/NewLink/ShackleOpen.jpg

and here it is closed:

http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Product/Link/NewLink/ShackleClosed.jpg

The amount of space and mass saved is dramatic. The snap shackle is very easy to attach and, obviously, no modifications are made to the helmet.

Regarding safety:

1. The "helmet" connection is not as rigid, so we expect this to test in the 1800-2000N range for upper neck tension. Still high performance by any definition, but not quite as good as the original. Given the obvious improvements of the new design, especially for casual users, it's a good tradeoff.

2. The front-to-rear torque (M-sub-y moment to the techies) will be improved because of preferred geometry. This may result in a net reduction in bone stresses.

We are very excited about this design, for obvious reasons. Not only does it make the transition much easier for those who are sitting on the fence, it completely eliminates the issue for driving schools and DEs. More than one organization likes the idea of mandating a H&N restraint: "If you do not have one, one will be provided." :)

In the established tradition of ISAAC testing and general futzing around on IT.com, there will be a "Name That Head Load!" contest as we eventually make tracks to the lab.

This is 99% completed, so now would be a great time for you racers to tell us what you would like to see in this product, and there is still time to sign up for the ARRC.

Thanks for your continued support and assistance.

keycom
11-19-2007, 05:18 PM
How did "product testing" go?

Greg Amy
11-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Shoot! In all my ARRC prep, I totally forgot about this...shoot.

gsbaker
11-19-2007, 06:50 PM
How did "product testing" go?
[/b]
Well, he says embarrassingly, not well.

We intended to hand deliver the new model but had to cancel at the last minute. (Long story.) In the flurry to get the samples shipped we failed to confirm travel schedules with drivers and realized that FedEx was going to deliver too late. FedEx promised they would change the delivery, but failed to do so. None of them made it in time for the ARRC.

Those who have tried it like it, however. The general reaction is on par with, "That's it?" It is very simple and transparent.

Not our proudest moment, but no negative responses so far.

keycom
11-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Well, made it through my first three races without hitting anyone or anything, but I know it's just a matter of time.

This device looks like just the thing to provide an extra safety factor for me.

Eagle7
11-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Well, he says embarrassingly, not well.

Not our proudest moment, but no negative responses so far. [/b]

I am usually very suspicious of those who "are always right", or it's always the other guy's fault.

I have the utmost respect for those who are quick to offer that they screwed up. You're a a real stand-up guy, Gregg. Top notch. :OLA:

gsbaker
11-21-2007, 09:28 AM
I am usually very suspicious of those who "are always right", or it's always the other guy's fault.

I have the utmost respect for those who are quick to offer that they screwed up. You're a a real stand-up guy, Gregg. Top notch. :OLA:
[/b]
Thanks, Marty. We try to screw up only those things that don't really matter in the long run.

BTW, I didn't screw up. It was those guys in shipping. :)