PDA

View Full Version : OT: Website development software

gran racing
09-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Well, the software I've been using has been experiencing some issues. I've done searches and read several articles about the various software options out there but am still very confused. I realize that this is far from a programming forum, however, I know several of you have created business websites therefore I thought I'd see if you have any suggestions.

I'm looking for something farily basic to use for a couple of small business websites (my book and a race shop). I looked at Dream Weaver, but that's a bit expensive and sounds like it would be a very steep learning curve for someone whose a novice at web programming. It is important for me to have a what you see, is what you get program. I also need it to be easy to upload as I make updates to the software. While it should be fairly basic to use, it is important for it to be able to produce quality / professional looking website. (I cannot afford to have someone else do the web creation nor do I want to give up that control.)

- Right now I'm considering Web Easy 7, Coffee Cup, and still have Dream Weaver on the list. I have a Mac, but it also has the ability to run Window (I have XP home). Any suggestions? Thanks!

ontheapex
09-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Try Windows "Front Page", it is a wysiwyg application and is easy to get up to speed on, it is also incredibly simple to upload and add revised pages you have developed to your site. Dream Weaver (I have it as well) is an excellent application, and coupled with the other apps in the CS3 suite is incredible, but it is much more demanding and probably has a great deal more functionallity than you will need. For the money, it is hard to beat Front Page. Shoot me an e-mail if you like and I will help if I can. you can check one of my Front Page sites out at:

http://www.krysdeansoftware.com/

Krys :D

planet6racing
09-26-2007, 09:00 AM
I use Windows Notepad for all my HTML stuff. Granted, someone else makes it all pretty, but I like to control the code directly. Most of the editing software creates what I call "Bloat Code" as it adds in more code than is really necessary.

Front Page works well if you are primarily desigining for IE. DreamWeaver is better cross-functional.

RKramden
09-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Nvu runs on Windoz, Mac, and Linux, but the best feature is the price.

Downloads - www.nvu.com/download.php
Screenshots - www.nvu.com/screenshots.php
Nvu Features - www.nvu.com/features.php
Learn How To Build Your Web Site - www.nvu.com/websitehelp.php

ontheapex
09-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Dave, RK is right, Nvu might be exactly what you are looking for, it is simple to use and the price is absolutely right, I just looked it over and I am going to download a copy to play with, I just tried but the download site was down, I am sure that is temporary, so give it a try.

Krys

gsbaker
09-26-2007, 11:43 AM
There is an advantage to Dreamweaver if you want to get fancy fast, because there are canned website templates with all the goodies at ~$50.

gran racing
09-26-2007, 03:53 PM
I downloaded a sample trial of Dream Weaver this week, but couldn't figure out how to locate any templates. Sounds like that needs to be an extra add-on purchase. :( I also found it to be a bit challenging to learn, at least thus far. (I have no clue how to write HTML.) I'll have to check out the other sites you guys mentioned.

The good news is I was finally able to get most of the issues I was experiencing with my site resolved, so I can take a litte more time on this. Hopefully it won't go ku-putz again very soon. Thanks for all of the recommendations.

gsbaker
09-26-2007, 04:23 PM
http://www.dreamweaverresources.com/templates4.htm

DW may be more than you need. If you go the nvu route, try nvutemplates.com.

Tom Blaney
09-27-2007, 09:35 AM
I use Windows Notepad for all my HTML stuff. Granted, someone else makes it all pretty, but I like to control the code directly. Most of the editing software creates what I call "Bloat Code" as it adds in more code than is really necessary.

Front Page works well if you are primarily desigining for IE. DreamWeaver is better cross-functional.
[/b]

I have used dreamweaver for quite a while and always wanted something a little quicker and easier for short projects, (and I hate how frontpage puts all that windows junk in the code). I tried to go to the nvu link but it directed me to the nvudev site and the downloads are trying to use cvsnvu as the link, which doesn't exist. are there any mirrors?

CaptainWho
09-28-2007, 12:02 AM
Pardon me for being an ass, but learn the twenty "tags" you'd need to create a basic Web site and do it yourself with a text editor. If your aspirations go beyond that, and you're not already proficient in Web development, then hire someone who is to create your site. And beware ... there are a ton of people out there hiring out their "web development skills" (if they spell skills with a 'z' you can ignore them) that have no more business doing that than bagging groceries at the corner store. The last thing this world needs is another content-free, presentation-heavy sack of web site BS. Remember, the same things that make the web crawlers (like Google) happy make your average user and the (probably few, for a racing site) handicapped users.

Yes, I am a curmudgeon, but I don't play one on TV. However, I'm the designated "corporate curmudgeon customer" for several large hospitality corporations. :D

alberto_mg
10-18-2007, 12:33 AM
Its not easy to prepare a professional web site on your own if you are not a web developer. Not to mention getting search engine attention is a pita...

Coffee Cup isn't terrible and I'd probably suggest that given what I perceive as your relatively low level of experience. Dreamweaver is pretty powerful but there is a pretty big learning curve.

I typically set clients up with an inexpensive or free (open source) content management system so that they can update their content at will. The look and feel (colors and page templates) would typically be preserved so they aren't hosed accidentally but the content would be infinitely editable to the end user.

I've been meaning to buy your book for a while. I've heard many good things.

Drop me a PM if you want to chat further. I am willing to provide some advice (free) so long as it doesn't suck up too much of my time. Need to work and prepare for next season. :)

gran racing
10-18-2007, 08:32 AM
One thing I've been trying to do is determine where my time is best spent on this book project - how much would a better looking website help, or how much does my current grassroots website hurts for a book product? It has been amazing to me how time consuming all of the related tasks consume! Yeah, the search engines is another thing I need to get a better grasp on.

A PM is coming your way. :)

CaptainWho
10-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Its not easy to prepare a professional web site on your own if you are not a web developer.[/b]

That was my point. And if you're trying to do anything more than a basic site, there are fifty bazillion ways to get into serious trouble, like handling payments and such.

Not to mention getting search engine attention is a pita...
[/b]

If the site code isn't pathological, it's no harder than registering a sitemap with Google and embedding their search into your site with appropriate options to limit the searches to the pages in your site. However, if the pages aren't written right, the crawlers aren't going to figure out the site's relationships and map them.

ltblouis
10-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Try Yahoo Merchant Solution, I have been using them for the last 7 years:

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/ecommerce/

You can check my web page www.ltbmotorsports.com if you need more info call me during the day 321-951-7757

Louis

DaveITB1
10-28-2007, 08:39 AM
If you are handy in PhotoShop, this plug-in claims to convert p'shop files into webpages (layers in p'shop become the FTP folders).

A graphic designer friend said he has played with it, and if you aren't looking for fancy flash motion and such on your site, it's a good option. I don't have experience with this product, but the sample pages of sites made with this prog look pretty good.

http://www.medialab.com/sitegrinder/

Dave Austin

alberto_mg
11-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Actually, using Yahoo's tools are a great way to get listed in their search engines. You often see ecommerce websites offering the same products at almost identical prices. If you do enough research or speak with enough web masters and people that do this for a living, you will discover that the same owner will have multiple web sites for their products. This enables some sites to use something like Yahoo's tools and rate well in Yahoo's Search engine.

Getting listed well in a search engine's rankings is no joke. Its the difference between a money making business and a waste of time. There are literally millions of sites that offer the same stuff. Search engine optimization and other strategies are pretty interesting voodoo. I used to work with a lot of start ups on both web based media and ecommerce type ventures as well as back-end software products such as online trading systems and supply chain management systems and such.

Handling payment is actually pretty straight forward. You got to be careful about getting things setup but its a lot easier these days than it was 10 years ago when we first starting to deal with that. The easiest thing these days is to just setup a paypal link but its not always the best solution depending on volume and such.

Like I said in my PM, I think the site overall is OK. It does the job. I think the colors could be improved but I think the navigation and the break down of content is OK. Personally, I'd focus more on trying to sell the book and getting into parternship / sales arrangements with other sites and motorsports media companies (magazines, web sites etc) to give you PR. Adwords and banner ads on automotive forums are also a good way to get the word out to your demographic. You have good word of mouth and lots of people are suggesting your books to newbies on various automotive forums that I take part in.

Off topic, I had a friend of a friend who wrote the book on the Bridgehampton Raceway. Hope he is doing well also.

Good luck and keep the rubber side down.

gran racing
11-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Alberto, hope things are going well and your family / home are safe from the fires. Thanks for the PM, I'll be forwarding you an e-mail soon.

Personally, I'd focus more on trying to sell the book[/b]

While I need to improve my meta tags and search engine optimization, in terms of other aspects to the website I've basically come to the same conclusion that my time will be better spent in other ways. After thinking about it more, I've never been to any of the book websites I really like other than Speed Secrets and that was because I was curious about their coaching services. I decided the next "logical" step would be for me to get it into bookstores. I just signed an agreement with a distributor as the publishing company (normally they don't work with small publishing companies no less one with just a single title), but along with that comes even more risk / debt. Talk about being nervous and constantly second guessing a decision! :blink:

Now that I have this relationship established, they'll accept any other book I submit as the publisher. Anyone have a book they'd like to publish?

gsbaker
11-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Alberto, hope things are going well and your family / home are safe from the fires. Thanks for the PM, I'll be forwarding you an e-mail soon.
While I need to improve my meta tags and search engine optimization, in terms of other aspects to the website I've basically come to the same conclusion that my time will be better spent in other ways. After thinking about it more, I've never been to any of the book websites I really like other than Speed Secrets and that was because I was curious about their coaching services. I decided the next "logical" step would be for me to get it into bookstores. I just signed an agreement with a distributor as the publishing company (normally they don't work with small publishing companies no less one with just a single title), but along with that comes even more risk / debt. Talk about being nervous and constantly second guessing a decision! :blink: [/b]
Big step! :023:

Now that I have this relationship established, they'll accept any other book I submit as the publisher. Anyone have a book they'd like to publish?
[/b]
No, but my father does. I'll check with him.

JIgou
11-05-2007, 12:14 PM
While I need to improve my meta tags and search engine optimization, in terms of other aspects to the website I've basically come to the same conclusion that my time will be better spent in other ways. [/b]

Don't waste much time with the the meta tags when you're working on the optimization....

Jarrod

gran racing
11-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Google's Ad words have been mentioned a few times. Anyone have experience with using that? What were your experiences like?

Since meta tags are used that much anymore by search engines, besides getting links from other peoples websites, what other methods have people found to be effective to improve search ratings?

RSTPerformance
11-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Dave-

I created my site with Director 8. Basically writting a movie script with each page being a "Frame". In the design stages you actual make the "movie" pause and skip frames to navigate the website depending where on the screen you click the mouse, and/or what action the user makes such as a keystroke. It sounds complicated but it is easy to learn. If you are interested in that software let me know.

As for my advice... You can spend hours and hours designing a website only to want to change one small thing.... then you need to change every single page to maintain a "common look" thoughout the site. Spend a lot of time creating one page exactly how you want it so that you have a base to work from. Also draw out on paper a map of what you would like the site to look like, and what should be linked to what.

Raymond "Someday I will get the new RST webiste rolled out... seems to get updated once every year or one and a half years" Blethen

PS: Hope all is well, I lost all my contacts when my phone flew out the window in a off roading excursion... PM me sometime with contact info!!!

Raymond

Joe Camilleri
11-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Dave,

If you are already on a Mac, build a simple, clean site in iWeb. It's easy drag and drop into stylish templates. This business site was built in iWeb.

http://www.marcovitchpr.ca/Marcovitch%20PR/MPR%20Home.html

trhoppe
11-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Don't waste much time with the the meta tags when you're working on the optimization....

Jarrod
[/b]

Doo what? Its one of the most important things to do to your website to optimize for SEO.

There are LOT of good websites and resources out there for SEO optimization, just a quick search in Google offers up many ideas to help your site.

-Tom
lead web developer for webmd.com :)

gran racing
11-06-2007, 11:06 AM
The iweb software and websites it can produce look pretty cool. Based on various reviews, it sounds like it maybe a bit challenging for me to upload it to my hosting service at GoDaddy?

JIgou
11-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Doo what? Its one of the most important things to do to your website to optimize for SEO.

There are LOT of good websites and resources out there for SEO optimization, just a quick search in Google offers up many ideas to help your site.

-Tom
lead web developer for webmd.com :)
[/b]

Betcha if you took out all of your meta tags you'd still show up at the top of the lists.

Seriously, I would put Meta Keywords on the bottom of the list of "things to do to optimize a website".

Dave, put relevant content on the site and you'll be in good shape. http://www.highrankings.com/articles.htm is a good place to start reading.

Jarrod

Joe Camilleri
11-06-2007, 06:15 PM
The iweb software and websites it can produce look pretty cool. Based on various reviews, it sounds like it maybe a bit challenging for me to upload it to my hosting service at GoDaddy?
[/b]

Not too tough.

When you finish your site chose to publish to a folder on your hard drive instead of .Mac. Then you transfer the folder to your web host using an FTP program like Fetch.

gran racing
11-26-2007, 06:18 PM
My book's new website is now up and running. :happy204: Thank you again Joe for the web software suggestion! I ended up purchasing the upgrade for iLife.

Here it is:
Dave's New Book Website (http://www.GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com)

RacerBill
11-27-2007, 08:39 AM
Dave: Website looks great! Have a great winter.

DaveITB1
11-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Dave,

Nice job on the website.
Good Luck with your Book Sales.

Happy Holidays.

Dave

gran racing
11-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the advice and continued support.

I've decided to add some helpful information for novices onto the website. I'm still a but unsure what types to subjects would be of value to people without putting my entire book online. LOL Thus far I've added check lists of items to bring to an autocross, HPDE, kill switch installation guide, and flag meanings. I figured I should also add information about what an autocross / Solo event is as well as HPDEs.

During the upload process, my entire site crashed and I received several error messages. Since I'm learning as I go with this entire gig, it was quite stressful. Gee, that reminds me of building my racecar. Yup, much of the same emotions have been felt throughout the process.