PDA

View Full Version : ITR cars

ontheapex
09-18-2007, 10:10 AM
Has anyone tried a 99-02Mustang in ITR? with the power potential of 3.8 L, light weight, 2670 (if you can get down to it) and decent brakes, it looks like a fairly good piece on paper. Was just curious, if I can sell my GT $$$eater :dead_horse: , I would really like to come racing with you IT folks, plenty of competition and a great bunch of people. :happy204:

Apex

77ITA
09-19-2007, 03:51 PM
I've yet to see or hear of one racing, but it's bound to happen. It's a decent car on paper and would be cheaper to build than a lot of the other ITR cars.

JoshS
09-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Has anyone tried a 99-02Mustang in ITR? with the power potential of 3.8 L, light weight, 2670 (if you can get down to it) and decent brakes, it looks like a fairly good piece on paper. Was just curious, if I can sell my GT $$$eater :dead_horse: , I would really like to come racing with you IT folks, plenty of competition and a great bunch of people. :happy204:
[/b]
That would be great! Where are you located?

ontheapex
09-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Florida, and it can't happen till I sell the GT-1 Camaro, but as soon as it is gone, I am on my way to ITR. :026:

85itccivic
09-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks a Mustang sounds like a decent ITR car. I have been talking to some American Sedan people and I am getting a very positive impression of the capability of a properly built car. They all wonder about getting to minimum weight . My real goal for one is probably going to be endurance races so the absolute minimum weight may not be quite as critical .

ontheapex
10-02-2007, 03:01 PM
I think you are right, it may be a chore getting the thing light enough, but I want to try. it will be important for the brakes as well as the power. I intend to do some endurance racing as well, especially the Tropical Twelve Hour at Homestead.

Ron
10-03-2007, 08:33 AM
I have a Fox body ITB car (1987) and we were able to get down to 2600 lbs with me in the car (185). I'm sure the newer bodies are a bit heavy, but 2700 lbs could be reached. Our car has a great cage in it, we did not go light there. You just have to take every legal pound out of the car. Every seatbelt bracket, exhaust bracket sand blast the whole body and underside. etc...
When we built this new car I didn't think there was any way to get that light, but we did.
Ron

ontheapex
10-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks Ron,
No doubt about it, lightening the car will be the difference between a competitive car and an also ran. I think the V6 motor has some potential, although I am concerned about the 8.8 inch rear end and the c-clip axle retainers, wish we could go to the 9" ford rear.

Krys

Ron
10-03-2007, 04:07 PM
I have a close friend who has won the SARRC championship 2 years in a row in his mustang and he runs the 8.8 with no problem and 400hp at the flywheel. His t-5 is what has given him fits in the past. We have the 7.5 in our car and I know the power is much less but we have never had a rear end failure in 5 years. In fact in 5 years we have always finished every race, unless we hit a wall! 2 new front clips in back to back races in 2004, that was a fun year!

Cobrar05
10-03-2007, 09:14 PM
I am running ITO with a 5.8L Cobra R. 400hp at the flywheel. We use a T56 and carry the extra weight and extra gear for the durability.

I have a close friend who has won the SARRC championship 2 years in a row in his mustang and he runs the 8.8 with no problem and 400hp at the flywheel. His t-5 is what has given him fits in the past. We have the 7.5 in our car and I know the power is much less but we have never had a rear end failure in 5 years. In fact in 5 years we have always finished every race, unless we hit a wall! 2 new front clips in back to back races in 2004, that was a fun year!
[/b]

Is your ITB mustang blue with red trim perhaps? If yes, your car is featured with two ASedan cars in the current issue of Mustang Enthusiast Magazine.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/txpd/boss%20rebuild/RoeblingRoad42807199.jpg

Ron
10-04-2007, 08:23 AM
yeah thats us.

Chris Wire
10-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks Ron,
No doubt about it, lightening the car will be the difference between a competitive car and an also ran. I think the V6 motor has some potential, although I am concerned about the 8.8 inch rear end and the c-clip axle retainers, wish we could go to the 9" ford rear.

Krys
[/b]

Don't worry yourself about the 8.8, it has proven itself more than reliable. I raced AS for 5 years on the same axles/diff/gear/c-clips. I put new c-clips in when I built the car and never had a problem.

The car was a front-runner with a regional championship to its credit.

http://home.mindspring.com/~twire/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/AS35-2a.jpg

evam2
10-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Does anyone know of any 2004 Mustang's being run in IT? I want to run mine (once it is old enough to be classed) and would like to hear from others that are running this body style and engine (V6). Would it be ITR?

Thanks!

erlrich
10-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Does anyone know of any 2004 Mustang's being run in IT? I want to run mine (once it is old enough to be classed) and would like to hear from others that are running this body style and engine (V6). Would it be ITR?

Thanks!

Your car is old enough that it could be classed in ITR for '09, but you will have to request it since only the '99-'02 are currently spec'd. I'm not sure, but I don't think the ITAC has started proactively classing cars, even when it's just a matter of updating the model years on the same spec line as they become eligible. IIRC the '03 and '04 were the same as the '99-'02, so it shouldn't be a big deal getting it classed though.

And of course that means nobody is running one in IT yet.

Ron - if I may highjack for a moment: what kinds of problems was your friend having with the T-5? I've heard it can't handle high HP, but I'm just curious if road racing in general is too much for this tranny? I have to wonder about any manual box that uses ATF :017: The jury is still out (way out) on the Camaro ever making the jump to a track car, and this might just be another check mark in the "con" column.

quadzjr
10-18-2008, 02:49 PM
I looked into possibly building one as well. There werew two major issues that I didnt' have a way to overcome.

One geting the power output after IT mods to equal the power to weight ratio of a prepped BMW's.

The second thing is still the use of the straight axle in teh rear which other cars in ITR run independent.

I would love to see this car built. I would Enjoy the expereince of building said car.

evam2
10-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks guys! We are doing suspension mods to prep her for track days and want to keep things going in the IT direction. If I do well with track days I will submit to have the model classed. The ease of finding parts is very appealing (my husband runs an IT7 and it is getting harder and harder to find parts). Plus, I already own the Mustang which makes it affordable to make more modifications. :)

JeffYoung
10-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Ron Earp is primarily responsible for those cars being classed in ITR. He posts here, contact him for specifics.

We've also looked at that car (the 98 to 02 Stangs) in ITR and think it has a good chance. Weight is great, and the motor has potential. The intake and cylinder head design is very good. Parts are cheap and off the shelf.

I don't know much about the 03/4 cars. Again, ask Ron about those cars, he knows far more about Mustangs than nearly anyone I know.

RedMisted
10-20-2008, 02:05 AM
I just finished a season of 12 races in a 1999 ITR Mustang. The car basically has a perfomance street suspension (non-coilover), heavy-as-hell 17-in. Cobra wheels, overkill dual catbacks, RA1s and a piggish weight of 3110 with me in the seat. The car will run within 5-6 seconds/lap of the fastest and best-prepped ITR cars around. So yeah, the car has the potential to be fast. But can it be a regular winner? I'm not sure about that. The car has the damned live axle, 58/42 weight distribution, and gearing that a 325i would laugh at. If I could do it all over again, I'd go racing in ITR with either a 325i, a Supra, or an Integra. I know for a fact that these are really fast cars....I've raced against them and they've kicked my ass each time...

jhooten
10-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Can a non-turbo 7m powered 3rd gen Supra at 3100# really be competitive in ITR? If so, I would rather build one than to build another ITS car out of the spare 2nd gen.

R2 Racing
10-20-2008, 11:26 AM
I just finished a season of 12 races in a 1999 ITR Mustang. The car basically has a perfomance street suspension (non-coilover), heavy-as-hell 17-in. Cobra wheels, overkill dual catbacks, RA1s and a piggish weight of 3110 with me in the seat. The car will run within 5-6 seconds/lap of the fastest and best-prepped ITR cars around. So yeah, the car has the potential to be fast. But can it be a regular winner? I'm not sure about that. The car has the damned live axle, 58/42 weight distribution, and gearing that a 325i would laugh at. If I could do it all over again, I'd go racing in ITR with either a 325i, a Supra, or an Integra. I know for a fact that these are really fast cars....I've raced against them and they've kicked my ass each time...
I was going to reply to this thread with "Chris Dercole has been racing one of these at Mid Ohio this year", so glad to see you found it.:D BTW, that was a RSX-S that Ken Martin had out there last weekend "kicking your ass", not an Integra. A track record setting, and a Dan Jones beating (sorry Dan!), 1:42.8 on the cars first ever day on a track is just awesome. Too bad he weighed in just slightly underweight so it won't stand. Then to top that off, the motor went "BAM!" on Sunday. Yeah, I'd love to build one of those, but that's what keeps me from doing it. Blow up ITA Integra motor - $300 for a new one. Blow up ITR RSX-S motor - $4000 for a new one. Yeah, no thanks.

KMartin
10-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Kevin,

The RSX has a ton of potential, pulled a 1:42.4 with it on the Friday test day. Was hoping for ARRC, not this year though. Gonna build a "proper" engine, some sus tweaking and some Hoosiers for next year....See you next season.

PS: I think the S2000 would be a good ITR ride. The T3 track record is in the 1:42's with just dampers on it. It would run over 100 lbs lighter with gains to be had in the suspension not much left in the engine though...Should be able to get it in the 1:40's. Would be a fun ride

Ken

dj10
10-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Kevin,

The RSX has a ton of potential, pulled a 1:42.4 with it on the Friday test day. Was hoping for ARRC, not this year though. Gonna build a "proper" engine, some sus tweaking and some Hoosiers for next year....See you next season.

PS: I think the S2000 would be a good ITR ride. The T3 track record is in the 1:42's with just dampers on it. It would run over 100 lbs lighter with gains to be had in the suspension not much left in the engine though...Should be able to get it in the 1:40's. Would be a fun ride

Ken

Hey Ken, there you are.:) You ducked out of Mid O before I could talk to you. How is your car? You did a great job driving, except for the missed shift.:( It was great to meet you, I'll be looking forward to our next meeting.
BTW the Honda S2000 will run at 3005# in ITR, more than it does in T3 and that's just the 2.0L.
BTW, the guy in the GT1 Vette, who drove me off the carousal wanted to know why I turned down on him!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad1:

dj10
10-20-2008, 02:01 PM
:D BTW, that was a RSX-S that Ken Martin had out there last weekend "kicking your ass", not an Integra. A track record setting, and a Dan Jones beating (sorry Dan!), 1:42.8 on the cars first ever day on a track is just awesome. Too bad he weighed in just slightly underweight so it won't stand. Then to top that off, the motor went "BAM!" on Sunday. Yeah, I'd love to build one of those, but that's what keeps me from doing it. Blow up ITA Integra motor - $300 for a new one. Blow up ITR RSX-S motor - $4000 for a new one. Yeah, no thanks.

Don't be sorry Kevin, Ken is a really nice guy and a good driver. I felt bad he got DQ'ed on Sat. That's not the way I want to win races. The Stewards DQ'ed him, there were no protests involved. Even if the Stewards would not have DQ'ed him, I would not have protested him.

KMartin
10-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Dan,

It was nice meeting and racing with you. Indeed it was the stewarts that issued the DQ. My own fault, should have weighed the car on their scales. My goal for the weekend was just to get a log book and get the car on track to see if it would be competitve. Had a lot of fun and enjoyed mixing it up with everyone again. It has been 8 years since I raced wheel to wheel, it felt good to be back

Any progress on getting your car fixed? You got screwed on that deal.

I look forward to seeing you next year
Ken

RedMisted
10-20-2008, 02:57 PM
...BTW, that was a RSX-S that Ken Martin had out there last weekend "kicking your ass", not an Integra.

Thanks. I stand corrected. I always confuse the RSX with the Integra.

RedMisted
10-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Can a non-turbo 7m powered 3rd gen Supra at 3100# really be competitive in ITR? If so, I would rather build one than to build another ITS car out of the spare 2nd gen.

All I know is that Ron Pawley of Arkansas ran an ITR Toyota Supra at the IT Fest at Mid-Ohio to the tune of 1:45.68. That's respectable given the ITR track record is in the 1:43 range.

KMartin
10-20-2008, 03:32 PM
It should have been in the 42's...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

R2 Racing
10-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks. I stand corrected. I always confuse the RSX with the Integra.
Well, it is still an "Integra" in the rest of the world. But for some reason some market researcher decided that American's like numbers and letters in random combinations as the name of their car, and not an actual name. So when it comes here, it gets a sweet American's-attention-getting "RSX-S" badge.:rolleyes:

Ken - I kind of figured that the blown engine probably took away any possibility of you making it to the ARRC. That's too bad - it's an awesome event. You know, I could use some more crew this year....;)

RedMisted
10-20-2008, 03:43 PM

Fret not, you will probably get well down into the 41s or 40s if you carry through with your planned car upgrades.

KMartin
10-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Kevin,

If by "crew" you mean someone to drive one of your cars..count me in...

dj10
10-20-2008, 04:35 PM

Yes Ken it SHOULD have been.;)

I thought I got the car more dialed suspension in wise on Sunday even though the car was a little twisted. To bad about your car, did you hurt the engine? I think Sunday's race might have been closer than on Sat. but I guess we'll have to wait for next year.

I have a lot of the parts I needed to repair my car. I made a trip to the junk yard and picked up a few things and the car is at the frame shop now getting straightened. He said it wasn't bad at all. What a shame I wanted to go to ARRC also.:(

What made me feel good is knowing you were behind me and saw the complete incident with that POS GT1 vette. So you know I wasn't lying about it.

We have some more things to do to the car over the winter, so expect it to be faster. Keep in touch Ken.
Dan