PDA

View Full Version : Tire Wear

StangIT
09-17-2007, 11:47 AM
I see a lot of topics about which tire is better than the other and it has to a lot to do with Rotation so I know different tires warrant difference technics but what I was wondering was how often you rotate and what seguence etc.

joeg
09-17-2007, 03:47 PM
The key is FWD vs. RWD.

For FWD (with a track with mostly right hand turns (describes most road courses) )your left front will wear quicker than your right front and left rear. The right rear will not wera appreciably.

Accordingly moving them around (LF to RR; RF to LR) is advisable.

For RWD, depending on HP, the rears will wear more than the front. (LR to RF; LF to RR) would be appropriate.

Your own mileage will vary...others may have other thoughts. Indeed, on some tracks my Left sides (F & R) will wear more than my RF (FWD vehicle). Camber can also be a factor.

Simple tire pressure monitoring will tell you the same thing. A tire that pumps up the most in a session is seeing the greatest wear factors.

Xian
09-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Accordingly moving them around (LF to RR; RF to LR) is advisable.

For RWD, depending on HP, the rears will wear more than the front. (LR to RF; LF to RR) would be appropriate.
[/b]
You realize that you just said the same thing?

FWIW, I rotate mine cross-wise as described above and get very good, even wear at all the SE tracks. Car is FWD.

kthomas
09-20-2007, 08:54 PM
I know which corners wear at what rate. For example, on a Z at Road Atlanta, you're looking at left front, left rear, right rear, right front. I take the 4 tires, regardless of what corner they've been on, and the one with the most tread goes on the left front, next on the left rear, etc.

So for me, it depends on the track and the car.

toddgreene
10-07-2007, 02:39 PM
For FWD (with a track with mostly right hand turns (describes most road courses) )your left front will wear quicker than your right front and left rear. The right rear will not wera appreciably.

[/b]

That being true, could the RR be used for "cycling" a new tire during practices?

Thanks,

Todd

joeg
10-08-2007, 07:54 AM
If you are hung up on "cycling" or "breaking-in" a new tire, the RR is the perfect place to do it. However, since the "cyclers" urge you to let the tire cool for at least 24 hors, this means you cannot use it until the next race weekend.

Obviously, I am not that hung up on cycling or breaking-in tires. They are never going to be faster than when they are brand new. It is your choice whether you want to use that speed and when.

Cheers.