PDA

View Full Version : Which is the faster worn out tire??

Sandro
09-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Daves subject regarding heat cycles got me thinking. :o

I know everyone says that Hoosiers will slow down after X amount of heat cycles, and the Kumhos/Toyos are more consistent throughout their life. Hoosiers are faster off the shelf but which is a faster tire when it is worn to the point of not being safe to drive anymore.? Are the Hoosiers still faster or would the Kumhos/Toyos be faster at that point?

bldn10
09-14-2007, 08:52 AM
I dont know about Kumhos but I'd rather be on Toyos than Hoosiers after, say, 10 cycles.

tom_sprecher
09-14-2007, 09:28 AM
What about Toyos that are over two years old and have maybe 25 heat cycles? :o

JohnRW
09-14-2007, 09:35 AM
The fastest worn-out tire is the one made by the manufacturer who is about to give you some free tires. Absolutely the fastest, everytime.

tbtapper
09-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Golly, I don't post often but I have to comment on this post. "worn to the point of not being safe" ??

What kind of question is that?? It would seem selfevident and redundant that you STAY PARKED and watch the race dude.

I'm neither an "aggressive" driver nor an aggressive person, I prefer to try and be "skillful and precise" but if I honestly found out that someone was out on the track with "worn to the point of unsafe" tires and were putting me and other competitors at undue risk from these tires I would be pissed.

TBTapper
ITS 19

Sandro
09-14-2007, 06:18 PM
JohnRW - I agree and like your response

TBtapper - I am not saying I am wearing them down to the cords, and will pull off mid race when four tires blow. Its a theoretical question, basically saying that after X amount of heat cycles the tires obviously slow down and which one is faster. I didn't want to specify 20 heat cycles as I thought putting a quanity would be more confusing. BLDN10's answer is along the ideas of what I was looking for.

Long strory short is since the Hoosiers are more expensive is it worth it to use them and be fast the first few times and then slow down once they reach too many heat cycles, or rather buy toyos and maintain a constant medium pace. :birra:

Xian
09-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Are the Hoosiers still faster or would the Kumhos/Toyos be faster at that point?
[/b]
In my experience, worn Hoosiers are faster than worn Toyos. Very worn Hoosiers vs. brand new, shaved Toyo's would be much closer to equal...

As always, just my $0.02

Christian

Beran
09-14-2007, 08:03 PM
IMHO - Hoosiers are so thin that they typically do not last as long as others... they become so easy to flat spot or chunk off to the cord so almost all other tires are faster/usable longer... or much longer. The Kumo's do very well after many many cycles... in fact most of the drivers day guys run these since they can get a year or two out of them. If the hoosier holds together (light car and easy driver/track combo) then they will be a little faster but inevitably they end up with something e.g flat spot, cord, or chunk that makes them useless long before Goodyear, Kumo, or Toyo tires become useless.
Of course, new and with one or two heat cycles the Hoosiers are the fastest. Kumo's are a good choice if you do not need that extra second and want to use them for 8 plus heat cycles.
your mileage .... or traction may vary
Beran

RSTPerformance
09-15-2007, 12:17 AM
At the Mid Ohio IT SPECtacular I was .5 seconds faster on coorded Hoosiers (yup went out with them peaking though) on the front in my first session of the weekend then I was for the rest of the weekend on brand new Hoosiers... Go figure :rolleyes:

Raymond "Maybe it was the motor? :dead_horse: " Blethen

Xian
09-15-2007, 11:15 AM
IMHO - Hoosiers are so thin that they typically do not last as long as others... they become so easy to flat spot or chunk off to the cord so almost all other tires are faster/usable longer... or much longer. The Kumo's do very well after many many cycles... in fact most of the drivers day guys run these since they can get a year or two out of them. If the hoosier holds together (light car and easy driver/track combo) then they will be a little faster but inevitably they end up with something e.g flat spot, cord, or chunk that makes them useless long before Goodyear, Kumo, or Toyo tires become useless.
Of course, new and with one or two heat cycles the Hoosiers are the fastest. Kumo's are a good choice if you do not need that extra second and want to use them for 8 plus heat cycles.
your mileage .... or traction may vary
Beran
[/b]
Hoosiers are only thin compared to "treaded" race tires (i.e. V700, Victo's, RA1's). Shave an RA1 down to the point where it's "quick" and it's just as thin or thinner than a Hoosier. As far as Hooseirs "chunking", what do they have to chunk? There's no tread for them TO chunk. Flat spot? You can flat spot any tire. As Hoosiers have a relatively softer compound they are certainly more vulnerable to driver induced flat spotting but they certainly aren't prone to flat spotting.

I think a huge part of what you (the general "you", not you specifically) get out of your tires is what you put into them. Are they rotated regularly to even out wear? Are they cleaned and bagged between events? How are the stored? All these things make a huuuuuge difference to the effeective life of a tire. I take very good care of mine and they last (and grip!) a long time before going off to the point where they're relegated to a "practice tire" only.

Christian

cmaclean
09-17-2007, 09:46 AM
I'm king of using other people's old tires. I picked up a set of 10 heat cycle 2 year old Hoosiers and immediately ran quicker than I'd ever run on new shaved Toyos. I got about 6 more cycles out of the Hoosiers and then they were done. I throw away Toyos around the same time (they become unpredictable).