PDA

View Full Version : (NOT IT) ITE/ SPU/SPO Rules

67ITB
09-12-2007, 10:24 PM
I have a friend that is about to purchase a pair of group N rally cars (Ford Cosworth 2.0T, AWD) and wanted to try and race with SCCA.

I assume that it would have to race in either SPU or SPO, (Maybe ITE? but its a turbo W/AWD)but I have not been able to locate ANY rules to point him towards.

other than the over/under 2.5 liter are there any rules?
for safety stuff does it follow IT? GT?, Production?

Thanks for any info you guys can provide, I think if I can get him on the track he will let me drive one of these things

Matt Bal

JoshS
09-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Those classes are all region-defined -- you won't find their rules in the GCR. Check with the region where the cars would be racing.

They would be good in SFR's flavor of ITE, assuming IT-level safety gear.

dickita15
09-13-2007, 06:39 AM
The SP rules are in the GCR, one line I think, the only local difference is O and U but a turbo is automatically in SPO. Gt or Prod safety stuff. The ITE rules for our area are on the NARRC site. It is linked from NER.org

Knestis
09-13-2007, 07:24 AM
Schwing!

Back in the heyday, the GrN Cosworth Sierras (the RWD version) were good for 165mph on one particularly long tarmac stage of a rally on the World Championship (San Remo, I think). They were faster than the GrA cars because they had to use the stock gearbox ratios. They also had to change those gearboxes a couple times a day because of the power they were trying to cope with.

I imagine these are Sierra 4x4s. Also very cool.

K

EDIT - Hmm. I don't think the 4x4 came as a turbo but I'm probably wrong

924Guy
09-13-2007, 08:05 AM
Used to have one of those killer cars run up here, locally - gave the GT1 cars fits! But he hasn't been out for a few (no doubt due to a lack of competition)...

lateapex911
09-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Used to have one of those killer cars run up here, locally - gave the GT1 cars fits! But he hasn't been out for a few (no doubt due to a lack of Funds to keep transmissions and other parts in it)... [/b]

Fixed that for ya... ;)

JohnRW
09-13-2007, 10:33 AM
The SP rules are in the GCR, one line I think, the only local difference is O and U but a turbo is automatically in SPO. Gt or Prod safety stuff. The ITE rules for our area are on the NARRC site. It is linked from NER.org
[/b]

Dick - I don't think the NARRC ITE rules have any exclusionary language re: "turbo". I just looked...didn't see anything, but I may have missed it.

I know that out here in western hinterlands of the division, we've had old rally cars (turbo and otherwise) run in ITE. While it's probably appropriate for cars with mucho-HP to have Prod/GT-level safety equipment, there are variations that some scrutineers will pick out. Though...IME...rally cars have amazingly stout cages and safety equipment. Them boyz is crazy.

dickita15
09-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks John, I guess I should have written clearer. SP is locally divided in to O and U with 2.5 liters as the cut off.
ITE is a single catch all class that is on the NARRC website. Locally we have a really cool turbo VE/Audi thing that Tom Kelly races that was won big bore overall last weekend in the wet.

67ITB
09-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Thank you all for the information. I had somehow missed that 1 paragraph in the GCR

it looks like he has some work ahead of him, but it should be a blast.

Thanks again

Matt Bal

RSTPerformance
09-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Matt-

We have a VW rallycar, biggest issue is the cage is not legal, needs a cross brace and additional door bar... Other issue is rallycars don't have to have a "kill switch"

Check it out before you go to the track ;)

Raymond