PDA

View Full Version : Moldings and Trim

toddgreene
09-11-2007, 09:18 PM
I just finished painting my car.
I took the moldings, belt moldings and window trim off the car while painting.

Of course, many clips are now broken and bent.

I plan to use the clips and weatherstrip adhesive or window-weld to put them back in place.
As a safety precaution, I'd like to screw or rivet them as an added measure.

Does anyone see a "rules" problem with this?

Thanks,

Todd

mbuskuhl
09-11-2007, 10:15 PM
9.1.3.8.k - "Body side moldings, rocker panel moldings, and wheel opening trim pieces (not stock flares) may be removed. Resulting holes may be filled."

9.1.3.8.i "Body repair shall be performed using every reasonable effort to maintain stock body contours, lips, etc. Any body repair modification having as its purpose increased clearance is prohibited. In those circumstances where stock trim/molding pieces are unavailable through all normal replacement channels, proof of such unavailability shall be provided by the competitor."

"Trim - Coverings or attachments whose function is solely cosmetic."

Moldings - not defined.

Conflicting statements in my opinion. One says you can remove molding the other says if unavailable, proof must be provided.

Keep it stock looking I believe is the intention. What you propose is reasonable.

Knestis
09-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Not conflicting at all. "Body side moldings, rocker panel moldings, and wheel opening trim pieces" (a specific set of "moldings" and "trim" bits) may be removed. All other "trim/molding pieces" (fender lips, rocker trim, bumper rub strips, et cetera) must stay unless it can be demonstrated that they are NLA.

K