PDA

View Full Version : Seat Time

StangIT
09-10-2007, 10:32 AM
It's me again, I have question regarding tires, I know there are a lot of topic's on here about size's, type, all to improve lap times , handling etc. First of all I know what I need more than anything is seat time, learning the ropes, how to get passed etc, speed will come in time. I also I know I won't be competitve for a while but that is Ok. What I am asking is say I buy a set of toyo's for my car, should I shave them or leave them for max longevity. I would like some tips or ideas on how to get the max seat time for my investment. So you Vets think back if you have any Ideas Shoot. Thanks

Greg Amy
09-10-2007, 10:59 AM
If you're going to be doing aggressive track driving, never run tires full-tread on the track. The large tread blocks will "wiggle", generate heat, and eventually tear off ("chunking").

For max life, you should shave the tires to a reasonable depth; discuss this with your tire distributor for their recommendations based on your car and expected usage. - GA

ddewhurst
09-10-2007, 02:18 PM
What Greg said, and rotate your tires after every 10 to 20 laps. For me at the tracks I run tire wear is max as listed to least. Left front, right front, left rear, right rear. Rotate the most worn tire to the least worn tire position & obviously the least worn tire to the most worn tire position untill all four tires have changed position with one rotation.

StangIT
09-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Good Stuff there !

BlueStreak
09-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Just my .02,

I ran my school on a set of Toyo's that had two weekends on them, but had been properly rotated. I ran three more weekends on them (even won on them once, but there were no Hoosier shod cars that day) before moving onto a new set of Kumho's. I think the Toyo is a great value for a new racer.

tom91ita
09-10-2007, 05:22 PM
i'll second what BS ( :lol: ) said about the Toyos.

they are not as fast but they will last for a looonng time and are consistant after the first heat cycle.

gran racing
09-10-2007, 05:54 PM
how to get the max seat time for my investment. [/b]

Just talking tire wear? Instruct at HPDEs.

Toyos are a great tire and last for what seems like forever. One other thing is to concentrate on being smooth and not over driving the car. Not only will that help with your racing / lap times, it'll also help with your tire longevity.

Another option if tires are a concern is to visit your friendly tire vendor towards the latter part of each day's event. You'd be amazed at some of the tires people will throw away and the vendor does not want to bring them back to their shop (load, unload, pay to dispose of them). Depending on your tire size, going to a few National races to pick-up their scraps can make a fun day. Make friends with the tire vendor. ;)

StangIT
09-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Thanks guys I appreciate all the info

thedemoguy
09-11-2007, 09:38 PM
http://www.frisbyracetire.com/z211sale.html

Run these $94 and leave the tread on, I ran them and there about 1.50 to 2 seconds off the Hoosier time but you could run a set all season...>>>
And the best part is as the tread wears off the tire gets better...lol :eclipsee_steering:

Knestis
09-11-2007, 10:32 PM
I bucked logic and good advice, and actually ran full-tread Toyos when I went through my schools to get relicensed, and for Regionals with the car in both SSC and basic ITB trim.

I was driving the car to races and was willing to accept the huge compromise imposed by the decision but with lots of attention to rotation, I was able to manage them to (and past) this point:

http://www.it2.evaluand.com/gti/images/205a.jpg

This one had about 9 hours of track time on it when the picture was taken.

K

Z3_GoCar
09-12-2007, 02:48 AM
If you run RA-1's have them shaved 6/32's. There will be plenty of tread left when you reach 30 heat cycles if you can keep from flat spotting. I tried the Z-211's and even after running in 105 degree temps could only get them to increase 3psi, they just wouldn't come up to pressure, like they were hard as a stone. I still have them mounted on the spare rims, but will be swapping them out for anything else.

thedemoguy
09-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Give them to StangIT, or better yet give them to me...lol
We ran them in the Nelson 24hr race, changed them one time just because we had them, and we came in 3rd in class.
The set we took off after 12hrs of hard running are still in good shape, the set on the car look better then the first set...

StangIT
09-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Oh the subject of the Z211 not heating up, what weight car you running? and wouldn't that play into it.

Z3_GoCar
09-12-2007, 03:25 PM
I doubt either of you guys could use these tires as they are 225/50-16's. The car's right around 2600lbs and I see a rise of about 8psi on the RA1's.