PDA

View Full Version : It's Official....

Jeremy Billiel
09-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Sorry New England boys, but you are going to have to find a new whipping boy as my reign is over. Some life changes are coming along (no not a baby!), but I am beginning the paperwork to go get my MBA along with changes in priority on the home front. I have badly neglected the homestead and it needs a significant amount of money to be invested.

The good news is that I won't be far so you will still have plenty of opportunity to tease me as I will be helping out the gang when I can and will still be at the race track.

Here is the for sale thread.

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...showtopic=12608 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12608)

Tkczecheredflag
09-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Jeremy - When Carol hears this it will break her heart. Stay close.

Jeremy Billiel
09-04-2007, 06:40 AM
Jeremy - When Carol hears this it will break her heart. Stay close.
[/b]

If anyone has any cash infusions, then again I could be persuaded to stay! My arm would not have to be twisted...

The bottom line is my house needs some work and this will to require all of my money for the next couple of years. I was also getting very frustrated by not being able to race consistentantly due to lack of funds. So its by belief that I should hang up the suit until I can devote more time and money into it.

ner88
09-04-2007, 09:22 AM
I hope the suit still fits 20 years from now! :D

lateapex911
09-04-2007, 09:34 AM
:(

Jeremy Billiel
09-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Yes it stinks... It really does! Last night I had nightmares about selling the car, but its the right decision. I just need to keep telling myself that.

gran racing
09-04-2007, 09:51 AM
A month ago you said "come hell or high water, by next year I'm going to have an enclosed trailer" to putting racing aside for several years. :(

Have you also considered buying a mid-pack ITA or ITB car that can't be a front runner (no temptation to put money into the car) but would get you out on the track relatively inexpensively? You were a mid-pack ITS car so you do the same, just in another class/car for a whole lot less. I'm sure you've already given this plenty of thought though and you gotta do what you gotta do but would be a way for you to stay in racing. You could also instruct at HPDEs (no entry fees).

Jeremy Billiel
09-04-2007, 10:05 AM
They don't call me the waffler for nothing Dave! LOL...

The problem is not getting out consistently and not being able to improve my driving. I am a serious type A personality and I don't like being mid-pack for very long.

On the home front, its getting tiring as Stephanie and I have very different opinions on this topic.

At the end of the day, when I do my MBA it will be a mute point as I will have zero time.

Yes I could put the car on jack stands, but what does this accomplish? To have it rot in the garage and collect dust?

Financially, I would be better of to sell it (even at a loss), pay off a student loan or two and rebuild at a later time when it makes more sense.

After my MBA is done, I know children will not be far behind, so you see the trend....

gran racing
09-04-2007, 10:59 AM
and rebuild at a later time when it makes more sense.[/b]

As you stated, there probably won't be a time in the near future when it truly makes "sense". I hear you with the competitive nature, but when comparing that to not participating at all... The other nice thing about having a tweener car is that it can't win (unless there's a monsoon, LOL) - it does a nice job of taking the blame off the driver and there's very little incentive to spending much money on the car. Maybe I should keep the Neon and rent it to you for a reasonable price. That way there's not a huge financial risk on your behalf it if were destroyed. ;)

Are you selling your trailer too? I would imagine you are if you are actually getting out of racing.

I and others thought for a while now that selling the teg would be the right thing for you, but didn't expect this. A year off wouldn't be a bad thing, but I can't see you out of this for much longer.

lateapex911
09-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Maybe, but domestic peace has it's price....

RSTPerformance
09-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Jeremy, I didn't even get a chance to add an Audi mark yet!!! lol

Our family can certainly understand the investment in time an money. One thing I have found though is that building a car takes the most time and money and if I didn't have a car at all I would likely not build a car and would be out for a long long time. If thats is what your gut is saying you want then good move to just sell it all. If it is not what you want then maybe Dave's suggestion is what you should do, sell the expensive car and get a cheaper car in a "lower" class that is easier to put on jackstands and go back to later for fun, when you can afford it. I have never seen my car as an asset, and it sounds like at the moment you are or always have treated it like it is deep down... If you have then certainly get out now while you can recover some loss because if you ball it up you will be far more upset.

Raymond "My father, my brother and I have taken time off (like this year) but kept our cars for when we were ready and had a few extra dollars to go have fun." Blethen

Doc Bro
09-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Jeremy,

You're doing the right thing. Set your priorities and execute them to the best of your ability. I put my whole life on hold to finish school and residency, and then pay for it all. Get your education, then racing will cash flow better with an increase in your earning potential. Dump the car...(easy to say), but it's just a car. Think with logic not emotion, and don't waiver. We'll all be here when you get back. Good Luck.............

R

benspeed
09-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Well said, Doc.

Greg Amy
09-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Well said, Doc.[/b]
+1

Jeremy Billiel
09-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Jeremy, I didn't even get a chance to add an Audi mark yet!!! lol

[/b]

I think you brother did though! :D

lateapex911
09-05-2007, 11:00 AM
I think you brother did though! :D
[/b]

thats ok, you've got some of Richies on yours! What goes around comes around...;)

ulfelder
09-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Well said, Doc.
[/b]

This sober praise of the logical approach brought to you by the guy who knew - just knew - he could outbrake four ITS cars into NHIS Turn 3 on the first lap of every race!

:happy204:

Come back to ITS, Ben! You know you want to.

Steve U

Zephyr
09-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Keep the car, rent it out, make a couple bucks or just drive it once a year. Or become a HPDE/PDX instructor and not pay an entry fee. Either way don't get rid of the car if it's already paid for. You'll be loosing money and kicking yourself for doing so.

almracing
09-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Although I have been an SCCA member for only 10 years, I have seen the ebb and flow of drivers over those years. It seems to be a natural progression of a hobby. You have years that you can devote alot of time, and others that more important priorities take over. I can think of quite a few drivers that used to kick butt in ITA... then disappeared for a few years... and now make it back for selected weekends. Funny how life does that -- especially to a hobby.

I type this as I sit only a few miles from "Tumbles" (see cat thread), missing a racing weekend but spending it with my daughter... giving my wife some quiet time. Like Rob said, it is all about priorities at that time.

gran racing
09-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Like Rob said, it is all about priorities at that time.[/b]

I absolutely agree and people need to take some time to really give thought to what their (family included here) priorities are and should be. This means if you have a family, involve them in the amount of money and time you can spend on racing. In Jeremy's case, the MBA is a sound decision / investment in his future.

At the same time, there are many people that dream of doing things in life but keep putting them aside saying "someday I'll do that" waiting for it to become more convenient. Life is too short not to do the things we enjoy and experience the things we dream about as long as it's not hurting anyone else. Do the things in your life that make you happy (again, a collective you including your family).

Jeremy, it sounds like you'll be staying close to racing by joining us at events. For a couple of years, I'm sure that will work out just fine for you. It might not hurt to sit down with your wife though and discuss how your racing could fit into your future if it's something you are interesting doing again someday.

dominojd
09-08-2007, 08:37 PM
It's Official...., I am coming out of the closet...

Sorry boys, but you are going to have to find a new whipping boy. Some life changes are coming along , but I am beginning the paperwork to go get my changes done.

The good news is that I won't be far so you will still have plenty of opportunity to tease me about my change.
[/b]

I helped Jeremy out with what he really wanted to say. :D

I love ya kid don't get to far away.

gran racing
09-08-2007, 08:45 PM
That was funny as S$%t! I was reading it to Mel as she was driving home while laughing her butt off.

Greg Amy
09-08-2007, 09:51 PM
I love ya kid don't get to far away.[/b]
Now, that's comedy...

I wouldn't count Jeremy completely out quite yet (he says, foreshadowingly...)

Andy Bettencourt
09-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Now, that's comedy...

I wouldn't count Jeremy completely out quite yet (he says, foreshadowingly...)

[/b]

Go ahead Greg, run her in ITS...the class needs some FWD action.

lateapex911
09-10-2007, 11:55 AM
F-ing Joe! You kill me! Looking forward to the ARRCs...

Jeremy Billiel
09-10-2007, 12:01 PM
I just saw this... Joe you are killing me!

I will remember this when I am working on your car at the ARRC. I just may forget your hood pins! Opps! Did I do that? LOL!!!!

This weekend was not a good test of sitting on the sidelines... I was caught watching the ITS race going, damn I have beat him, and him, and him.... That would make me 7th or something silly like that.

This sport is evil :mad1: :mad1: :mad1:

gran racing
09-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah, we'll just have to see how aggressive you are in attempting to sell the car. Oh but honey, I listed it twice on it.com. I guess I'll just have to race it in '08 - to keep the market value up of course. :D

Jeremy Billiel
09-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Yeah, we'll just have to see how aggressive you are in attempting to sell the car. Oh but honey, I listed it twice on it.com. I guess I'll just have to race it in '08 - to keep the market value up of course. :D
[/b]

I actually have an offer on the table right now. :bash_1_:

Andy Bettencourt
09-10-2007, 03:41 PM
I actually have an offer on the table right now. :bash_1_:
[/b]

Then you should have a SOLD sign on it. If you are out, get out, then come back. If you are in, STAY IN!

Wafle-House anyone?