PDA

View Full Version : HD 1500 Series trucks

mhart073
09-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Some of the newer half ton truck offerings from Chevy and Toyota offer towing capacities north of 10,000 lbs. I've never done much towing and was wondering how these types of truck would fare towing an enclosed trailer.
I am planning on towing an open trailer currently, but may want to step up to an enclosed trailer later.

Thanks!

lateapex911
09-03-2007, 11:32 AM
I have a 1500 series 2001 Sierra, and I tow a 20 foot enclosed.

I drive the truck everyday, and tow about 6 times a year, only as far as NY to Atlanta. My engine is the 353.

I wonder about the 2500 and 3500 trucks as day to day trucks. Most I've been in that have moderate miles are very rattley, and living with them day to day has to suck.

Now, that said, they are better equippped for real towing. The springs are stiffer, and the brakes bigger, etc. I've been meaning to install some airbags on mine.

For me, I wouldn't think it would be prudent to get a bigger trailer than I have, or do too much towing over hills. My engine works pretty hard, (mileage is around, or under 10 MPG)

So, a 1500 series is certainly do-able, but:
Get the bigger engine
Make sure you have great trailer brakes and the best controller
Load intelligently.
Get the load distribution hitch. (an absolute must)
Get airbags
and don't go nuts with a huge enclosed...think about aero options when the time comes.

I skipped 4WD...too much extra weight, and I almost never really need it. 99% of the time 2wd is fine for where I live, in spite of the wimps who think otherwise and equip their wives with the largest SUV with all the AWD and traction control bells and whistles for "safety".......

supersmile
09-03-2007, 01:01 PM
I tow a 22' enclosed trailer with an '04 GMC Sierra Denali pickup. The trailer weight is probably around 6500 lbs loaded. Its a bit of a bizarre truck, a 1500 chassis with 2500 axles, Quadrasteer and the 6.0 L gas engine with full time AWD. No problem at all with the trailer, aside from gas mileage that drops from a normal 14-15 to around 8mpg when towing. The Quadasteer rear axle is a bit wider, halfway between a standard and true duelly. I use a weight distributing hitch. Since this model isn't made anymore, I may consider a 2500 when I replace it, especially if a light Diesel becomes available.

One thing to watch for that I found when I bought this truck...some manufacturers will quote a towing capacity that doesn't jive with the tongue capacity. Case in point, I looked at the Nissan Titan when they came out. While they'd supposedly tow close to 10,000 lbs, the hitch rating was low enough that if you placed the recommended 10-15% of trailer weight on the ball then you were actually limited to a less than 7000 lb trailer.

FWIW, my GMC has been dead reliable, requiring a brake job around 35,000 miles and the tires look fine now at 40K. Othewise, no issues.

mhart073
09-03-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback....
After test driving an F250, I'd have to agree with your conclusion about it being a horrible daily driver. Beyond the enormity and weight of the thing, the steering was beyond numb.
I've narrowed it down to Toyota or Chevy/GMC. Ford's interiors were cheap and panel fit was lacking. The Titan is apparently a disaster from a reliability standpoint. Although reliability is supposedly better, I'm not willing to be a test subject. Dodge trucks didn't really seem to have any real stand out areas to me. Nothing bad, but just OK overall.

Now if I can just find some more speed on the track, maybe I can be a real racer :unsure:

joeg
09-04-2007, 04:21 PM
I own a Chevy 2500 HD Duramax, so my experiences will not be relevant--it is a perfect tow vehicle. However, a friend gets a free work truck every few years. He currently has a 1500 Chevy. He says that the Ford 150 it replaced was a sturdier and better tow vehicle, in his opinion.

mowog
09-04-2007, 09:14 PM
As always YMMV...almost all tracks I go to require a trip thru the PA mountains, and this certainly adds issues.

A note on enclosed trailer weights. A 20' enclosed Pace trailer is at least 3500# (from memory), without cabinets, walls, or anything else. Add a 2000# car, a decent tool box, say 200#, 8 wheels/tires a minimum of 25# each, and at least 100# of spare parts. Now add the jack, some fluids, fuel, some brackets and shelves to hold everything, and other such, and you're over 6000#. Want cabinets, a work bench, air tank, jack stands, awning, chairs, pit board, on and on? Bet you end up over 7000# without even trying. Figure at least 700# tongue weight.

No, a dually isn't a necessity (although it sure is nice!). But....I've tried 1/2 ton vans for towing, and wouldn't do it again. Even towing an open trailer, the suspension didn't hold up and the brakes just were not made for the task. After a very few years, three different vans were more than used up. Modern trucks are much better, but wouldn't consider towing an enclosed trailer with a 1/2 ton, at least not any substantial distances. I've seen many tow with 1/2 ton Suburbans, trucks, vans, and even seen people towing with cars. Rarely has something not designed for the task at hand lasted without major problems. There have been far too many horror stories about being stuck somewhere with a broken transmission or motor. So...

If you go with a 1/2 ton, limit the size of the enclosed trailer, and especially limit what's in it. Try to put the heavy items (spares, tool boxes, tires) in the truck. Seriously consider a cap for the truck. Strongly consider air shocks - I hate helper springs, they just seem to add huge amounts of oversteer. Buy really good truck tires, also buy trailer tires meant to carry the weight. Look closely at the large Toyota. A friend has one, uses it to tow a somewhat large enclosed trailer, and hasn't had too many issues with it except on windy days. I also recommend the Chevy. I've tried Dodge (late 80's), Ford (late 90's), and now Chevy (my other half has a 2003, I have a 2005), and it has the best ride of all. The Ford was the worst, especially the exceedingly weak 460CI motor.

Good luck with your decision!

spnkzss
09-05-2007, 08:54 AM
I have a 1500 series 2001 Sierra, and I tow a 20 foot enclosed.

I drive the truck everyday, and tow about 6 times a year, only as far as NY to Atlanta. My engine is the 353.

I wonder about the 2500 and 3500 trucks as day to day trucks. Most I've been in that have moderate miles are very rattley, and living with them day to day has to suck.

Now, that said, they are better equippped for real towing. The springs are stiffer, and the brakes bigger, etc. I've been meaning to install some airbags on mine.

For me, I wouldn't think it would be prudent to get a bigger trailer than I have, or do too much towing over hills. My engine works pretty hard, (mileage is around, or under 10 MPG)

So, a 1500 series is certainly do-able, but:
Get the bigger engine
Make sure you have great trailer brakes and the best controller
Load intelligently.
Get the load distribution hitch. (an absolute must)
Get airbags
and don't go nuts with a huge enclosed...think about aero options when the time comes.

I skipped 4WD...too much extra weight, and I almost never really need it. 99% of the time 2wd is fine for where I live, in spite of the wimps who think otherwise and equip their wives with the largest SUV with all the AWD and traction control bells and whistles for "safety".......
[/b]

I agree with everything said above. I do the same except I have 4WD Z71 and it an '02. I love my truck, it doesn't owe me a thing. I made it to VIR (5 hour tow) with A/C on the entire way. Would liek more brakes but that's it. Of course, 6.0L would be nice too :)

tnord
09-05-2007, 08:59 AM
i'm in virtually the same situation.

i currently have a 120k 2001 Chevy 1500 w/5.3 and towing package pulling a 18' open with a 2000lb miata on top. this really is all this truck will pull comfortably, and even that's a stretch. 72-75mph is the sweet spot for aero drag vs RPM, and you for sure have to kick it down to 3rd for hills......but it does alright. 11-12mpg seems to be what i get. i dunno, maybe my engine is just worn out since it was a general contractor's truck before i took hold of it, but i wouldn't even consider pulling an enclosed. i don't know how you do it jake.

now......the 6.0 has an extra 35 ft lbs and 40hp (353hp 373ft lbs). i also think the torque curve is better on the 6.0, as the 5.3 is known for being a bit rev-happy. i'm thinking you could make the 6.0 work if you got something like an aluminum v-nose. i'm not entirely sure i'd want to haul a 24ft steel box for long distances, though i certainly see people doing it.

if you're willing to go foreign, the titan has 387ft lbs, and i think the new tundra has 400. i'm guessing these will make power slightly higher in the rev range (think 2500-3000 instead of 2000-2500 for a traditional pushrod), but i bet as long as you leave it one down from top gear you could pull a small enclosed just fine.

the titan did have some recall issues on the first run, but i think those are all sorted out now. i'm currently doing some light shopping for one.

lateapex911
09-05-2007, 10:55 AM
i'm in virtually the same situation.

i currently have a 120k 2001 Chevy 1500 w/5.3 and towing package pulling a 18' open with a 2000lb miata on top. this really is all this truck will pull comfortably, and even that's a stretch. 72-75mph is the sweet spot for aero drag vs RPM, and you for sure have to kick it down to 3rd for hills......but it does alright. 11-12mpg seems to be what i get. i dunno, maybe my engine is just worn out since it was a general contractor's truck before i took hold of it, but i wouldn't even consider pulling an enclosed. i don't know how you do it jake.

[/b]

Ask those who tow to Atlanta with me, LOL. I generally get there quickly enough, never lagging back, but, the hills do suck, downshifting is the norm, and I can't go more than 225 miles on a tank. But hey, I bought it used in Texas with 35K on it for $17K, so a little extra shifting and crappy mileage are small prices to pay.

Maybe my British geneology comes out once in awhile! (You should see the things THEY tow with!)

tnord
09-05-2007, 12:53 PM
8.6mpg?

it seems that if you have an enclosed trailer, but no 500+ ft/lb diesel, 9mpg will be the result no matter what. if i were to ask those that tow with you, what would they say?

i want a duramax soooooo bad. but i can't justify 20+ grand for something i wouldn't even drive every day. the lady really needs to finish that whole med school thing. then it's toter-time!

mhart073
09-05-2007, 01:11 PM
I think that I am going to go with the Chevy as opposed to the Toyota. Both have their strengths and weakness, but it came down to the huge discounts that Chevy is giving on 2007 models. I'd rather have the cash in my pocket for more track time!
The 6.0L trucks are rated up to 10,300 lbs towing, which should be more than enough for an open trailer and a 2,650 lb car. Also, I am in Texas, so I wont have to contend with anything more than some gently rolling hills.

tnord
09-05-2007, 01:29 PM
PS - supposedly a 6sp auto coming very soon on the GM stuff.

mhart073
09-05-2007, 09:27 PM
In my next life, this will be my tow vehicle.

http://www.perimeteraz.com/freightliner/

tom_sprecher
09-06-2007, 04:01 PM
I have an '04 6.0 diesel F250 4WD Crew Cab that I use to tow the 24' enclosed and as a daily driver. Most of my miles are on the highway (traveling salesman) and if I'm not it too big of a hurry I get 18+ mpg hwy 15+ mpg city. I find the ride to be pretty comfortable and the front seat is about the size of your sofa but don't get me wrong it's not like the Caddi STS I used to have.

When towing, except for acceleration from a stop, you can not tell the trailer is there, but mileage goes down to about 12. I have a load leveling hitch and an anti swerve bar? which I think the combo is a must. Once I hooked up the trailer brakes I did not need to anticipate about stopping at all but the truck brakes were still capable to do it alone. The engine had no problem with Monteagle (4-6% grade for a couple of miles) last weekend going to Nashville and the trans only down shifted to 4th.

After 75k miles last week I just changed out the rotors and pads on the front due to warping, not wear, as they still had about half the material left. The tires are original and still have about 3/8" of tread left. Everything about the Super Duty is so much more robust that my F150 it is shocking.

Now I will admit the thing has a turning radius about the size of some New England states but I guess ya can't have it all. I will have another truck like this when the current one craps out.

tdw6974
09-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Love the sound of the Turbo whistle! :D Use it as a Daily driver love to drift left of center when I see some smart ass kid in his Street tuner yaking on his cell phone :014: and he sees the fog lite at eye level. See My Signature :eclipsee_steering: