PDA

View Full Version : Timing offset key

Grumpa
08-26-2007, 02:12 AM
I installed a VW "G" grind cam in my 1.6 and have read that this cam retards the timing 1 degree. Do any of the VW race shops sell offset keys or is this something that I will have to procure with a local engine builder? Thanks for your input.

Sandro
08-27-2007, 11:55 AM
I beleive you can use an off set key from a 1987 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3 16-Valve. I don't have any experience with this but have heard of others using them, I beleive it is slightly too tall and you might need to trim it down a little.

Hopefully someone who has actually used one can help.

Eric Parham
08-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Just a few thoughts:

1) 1 deg. retard may be good.

2) The ITCS allows for correcting the timing due to shaving the head to min., etc., but may not allow for "correcting" OEM cam timing (049G cam is allowed because OEM, but I won't get into that here -- even a clone must have the same timing as original, AFAIK).

3) If you also shaved your head, you *might* want to correct for that.

4) I bought a bunch of different offset Mercedes keys, but they all needed to be ground down to fit. Others have used Dodge (Neon?) keys, which apparently need even more grinding. There may be some sort of offset motorcycle key that fits perfectly, but I've heard that it only comes in one non-zero offset.

5) If you collect enough cam and int. shaft cogs/pulleys, you may find what you need within the manufacturing tolerances.