PDA

View Full Version : Protege question

Aged racer
08-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Taking a long shot here, but I'm hoping someone out there is pretty familiar with the '99-2003 Protege. We run one in SSC at the moment (ITA some day), and we need some front camber! Do they make "crash bolts" for these cars that we could use to get a little tilt? (-2 is actually legal in the GCR for this car).

Can't find them spelled out on the Mazda website, BTW.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Struggly
08-23-2007, 09:33 PM
Taking a long shot here, but I'm hoping someone out there is pretty familiar with the '99-2003 Protege. We run one in SSC at the moment (ITA some day), and we need some front camber! Do they make "crash bolts" for these cars that we could use to get a little tilt? (-2 is actually legal in the GCR for this car).

Can't find them spelled out on the Mazda website, BTW.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
[/b]

Steve, I know they're available for 90-94 Proteges. I got a set for my '94 on ebay. Those same bolts should work for newer Proteges.

If you install them, be wary of them coming loose. The design is not the best: Some camber bolts have the cam on the bolt head which adjusts camber by pushing against a ridge on the strut. With these, the center of the bolt is cammed and the ends are simply thinner than stock. I've had one come loose on me before, which makes for some interesting driving. I've since been using a second nut and liberal amounts of threadlocker.

Clint

Struggly
08-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Just testing a board setting. Can't delete posts on this board?

Clint

Aged racer
08-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks, Clint. I'll try Ebay.

Steve

tnord
08-25-2007, 10:31 AM
why not just call the guys at mazda motorsports? i'd bet they'll know.

drgoodwrench
08-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Give Tony a cal at AWR (http://www.awrracing.com/) in Vista CA. They have built most of the factory Mazda race cars.

Aged racer
08-30-2007, 08:24 PM
I took Clint's tip and tried Ebay and lo and behold, there's an outfit selling crash bolts! So I bought a pair, only $10. I'm pretty sure this is a case of getting what you pay for, but we'll see what they look like.

Back-up plan will be M'speed or AWR.

Thanks all for the tips.