PDA

View Full Version : Wheel and Rim

StangIT
08-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Hi I have a question, I have a chance to pick up a set of 16 rims for my Mustang, the problem is I run a set of 14's on it, 205/55/14 as a matter of fact. I was wondering what I would need to do to use these rims and get a tire thats not to far off of the circum. I :eclipsee_steering: have now or should I just leave em alone. Thanks for the info

lateapex911
08-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Go to the tire companies websites, (Hoosier, et al.) and see whats available, Compare outer diameter for compatibility. Obviously, if it's larger, you'll need to change gearing, AND, you will raise your ride height. Now, you might be able to lower it back down, but you'll lose some suspension travel. Maybe an issue, maybe not.

Secondly, will the new combination help or hurt acceleration and braking? You want unsprung weight to be low, especially if it's rotating. Look at your current wheel and tire weights, then compare through the charts what the new combination would be. More is bad. The same is OK, IF the diameter is the same.

Finally (well, there's more actually, LOL) the new combo will result in a different spring rate, most likely, as the sidewall will be stiffer than it was before. (Assuming you maintain diameter). So springs and dampers might need tuning.

All of this assumes you've optimized for your current setup.

joeg
08-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Neither 13 nor 14(s) receive that great tire manufacturer support in IT any longer. If you were opting to go for a change, I would consider 15 inch rims.

spnkzss
08-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Hi I have a question, I have a chance to pick up a set of 16 rims for my Mustang, the problem is I run a set of 14's on it, 205/55/14 as a matter of fact. I was wondering what I would need to do to use these rims and get a tire thats not to far off of the circum. I :eclipsee_steering: have now or should I just leave em alone. Thanks for the info
[/b]

I may be miss reading this, but I think we need more information. You currently run 14 inch rims, correct? You have a chance to pick up a quantity of 16 rims? What size are these new rims?

planet6racing
08-24-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm really disappointed I have to be the one to bring this up!

Did the mustang come from the factory with 16s? If not, (and assuming you are IT racing, based on your sig) you cannot run them in IT. The largest you could run is 15.

spnkzss
08-24-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm really disappointed I have to be the one to bring this up!

Did the mustang come from the factory with 16s? If not, (and assuming you are IT racing, based on your sig) you cannot run them in IT. The largest you could run is 15.
[/b]

That is why I think he said a set of 16 (count) rims. I had the same first thought you did.

StangIT
08-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks Guys your where right, I made a little error in reading the GCR and the 16's are out. Thanks for the info it would of cost me and it would have been for nothing, sure is tough to find 15's for this car