tdw6974
08-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Standing Starts??

Greg Amy
08-23-2007, 10:25 AM
"What is the meaning of life, Alex?"

NutDriverRighty
08-23-2007, 10:46 AM
IMHO, the issue of FIA flagging rules and standing starts are not related for our (SCCA's) purposes. I don't believe that the SCCA and the insurance companies will let us do standing starts. Too many incidents, too expensive, etc.
Where I see the issue with FIA flagging is that in the SCCA, the blue flag is a "courtesy flag", where in the FIA, it is a "command flag". In the SCCA, you can ignore the blue flag as long as you like. The folks behind you won't appreciate it, but it isn't a rules infraction that an official is going to be talking to you about officially. In the FIA, however, you can be disqualified from an event (at a professional level, at least) for failing to heed a blue flag (after a certain undetermined number of corners). With the FIA rules, they also have a green flag after every yellow. This is confusing at times at different tracks. For example, most know Road Atlanta. If you see a yellow at Turn 7 (leading onto the back stretch) and the station at Turn 8 (the pedestrian bridge) isn't manned (and it often isn't), you won't see a green there. Does this mean that you can't pass until Turn 9?
With the "command versus courtesy" issues with the blue flag and the questions that the green at the next clear station after yellow bring up, I am concerned that the changes may bring more confusion to the picture than they correct. I'm sure that Anubis will put in his $0.02 worth on this. Probably Captain Who, too. We are all experienced flaggers and two of us work professional events.

Scott Franklin
ITA/IT7 and SPU
F&C

jjjanos
08-23-2007, 11:39 AM
With the FIA rules, they also have a green flag after every yellow. This is confusing at times at different tracks. For example, most know Road Atlanta. If you see a yellow at Turn 7 (leading onto the back stretch) and the station at Turn 8 (the pedestrian bridge) isn't manned (and it often isn't), you won't see a green there. Does this mean that you can't pass until Turn 9? [/b]

I believe that is correct.
SCCA - yellow flag area is from the flag until "the incident" or the next staffed station.
FIA - yellow flag area is from the flag until you see a green flag.

SCCA's definition allows more of the track to be green, but leaves open to interpretation "the incident."

As both a flagger and a driver, I would be hesitant to impose the FIA-standard for blue flags on the club. How many times have you thrown a blue at the wrong car? I know I have. The biggest problem I've seen with drivers shown the blue is a general lack of awareness both before and after the flag has been displayed. Making it a mandatory move over flag doesn't fix that problem and we already have rules for blocking and contact.

As for the yellow/green combo - I'm in favor of it. Consider turn 1 at Summit Point - a car pulls off just after the flag station on lap 2. A standing yellow is displayed. On lap 3, a car pulls off after the apex (i.e. blind to incoming drivers) and there are workers at the first car. As a driver, I see the flag, the first car and a reason to display the flag. I do not see the new incident. I'm going to think I am free to take a car under braking as long as I do it after the first car, but SURPRISE! I just passed under the yellow and giving back the position doesn't void my infraction. Depending on the operating steward, the driver I just passed and the SOMs, I could be DQ even if I yield the position and as far as I can tell, all I've got is an appeal without merit.

If, however, I know that under no circumstances may I pass prior to seeing a green, there is less chance of an inadvertent violation on my part and reduces the risk on people responding to that second car.