PDA

View Full Version : Velvet Revolver

Doc Bro
08-22-2007, 10:40 AM
Not to Hijack...
Tim, How was Velvet Revolver??? I've been very intrigued by them...good stuff . I just wondered if they could/would pull it off live.

R

Tom Blaney
08-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Where the hell do these guys get their band names ...

"Kill Hannah" .. "Velvet Revolver" ...

What happened to the real band names like Led Zeppelin, Purple Haze, Grand Funk, Gratefull Dead

Tkczecheredflag
08-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Robert - Saw VR a couple of years ago (went to three shows - Hoobastank opened the show) - The were definitely a "high powered" band. All the goodies from STP and Guns and Roses. Scott is a combination of David Bowie and Mick - very entertaining. I thought they did a great job last night - two visits back to the stage - covered GNR and STP - also Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" - of course Slash was "right on", Duff still a ladies man, MAtt drums an d vocals were great and Dave - a wild man reminds me a bit of you.

AIC was unbelievable - William Duvail filled in for the deceased Layne Staley - He and Jerry Cantrell were awesome.

Kill Hannah from the Windy City were fine.

Awseome show - you wouldn't be disappointed.

Next Stop is TESLA

Saw Rock the Bells _ Rage Aginst The Machine - Awesome

Also, saw Chris Cornell at the Beacon - did everthing from new album, and Sound Garden, and Audio Slave - also Awesome.

Who has time for car development - Much too much fun to be had in the real "pits" doin' some serious bangin'.

Greg Amy
08-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Yeah, and like Steppenwolf, Foghat, Meat Loaf, Rush, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath...!

Kids these days...

Doc Bro
08-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Tim, I'm very impressed never would've guessed you had it in ya. :D

We only saw DMB at the Meadows this year. I guess I'm the old one!!

R

RacerBill
08-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Robert - Saw VR a couple of years ago (went to three shows - Hoobastank opened the show) - The were definitely a "high powered" band. All the goodies from STP and Guns and Roses. Scott is a combination of David Bowie and Mick - very entertaining. I thought they did a great job last night - two visits back to the stage - covered GNR and STP - also Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" - of course Slash was "right on", Duff still a ladies man, MAtt drums an d vocals were great and Dave - a wild man reminds me a bit of you.

AIC was unbelievable - William Duvail filled in for the deceased Layne Staley - He and Jerry Cantrell were awesome.

Kill Hannah from the Windy City were fine.

Awseome show - you wouldn't be disappointed.

Next Stop is TESLA

Saw Rock the Bells _ Rage Aginst The Machine - Awesome

Also, saw Chris Cornell at the Beacon - did everthing from new album, and Sound Garden, and Audio Slave - also Awesome.

Who has time for car development - Much too much fun to be had in the real "pits" doin' some serious bangin'.
[/b]

Definitely not the Ridgefield I knew growing up!!!!!!!!

Tom Blaney
08-22-2007, 02:13 PM
And of course we can't forget

In-a-gada-davida by Iron Butterfly

Dun .Dun da da da Dun

Tkczecheredflag
08-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Doc - saw Dave last year (I think - maybe two years ago) in Hartford. Great show. Too wacky to see the kids walking around with $5.00 balloons filled with gas from your line of work after the show.

Guys, don't get me wrong - I grew up with Hendrix, Led Zepplin, The Who, Tull, Heart, Carlos, The Stones, Cream, Black Sabbath, The Doors, and the lesser known bands of Mountain, Humble Pie, The Allman Brothers, Necktar, Todd Rundgren, BOC.
My first show ever was Frank Zappa in Portchester's Capital Theater '71. Went to Cal Jam II in '78 - Opened with Dave Mason (All Along The Watchtower), headliner was Aerosmith, in front of Carlos Santana, Mahogany Rush, Rubicon, Foreigner, and Bob Welch - I think that was all of them - Oh right special guest Mick Fleetwood and Stevie Nicks.
This was my first visit to a Road Racing Track (Ontario Motor Speedway). It was not Watkins Glenn (600K people) but it was wacked at around $350K people (don't beleive the smaller 250K numbers). Rock got racing in my blood - Well that wasn't the only thing that got in my blood that day.

I have to admit, when the Wilson girls started brewin' up more than Starbuck's out of Seatle, I was moved - really moved. Nirvanna, Pearl Jam, STP, Sound Garden, AIC - It was hard to ignore these great artists. Long Live Rock! - All of it my brothers. I guess I am physically 51 but a kid at heart.

Speaking of heart - Here's a little taste of Heart at Cal Jam II 3-18-1978 - Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgDaqynY1PM

Bill - FYI - They changed the law regarding the "black and white" signs for storefronts in Ridgefield too. Anything and any color goes - hope that didn't ruin your day. :rolleyes:

RacerBill
08-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Tim: Nahhhhhh, My aunt and uncle moved to Danbury, had to have been in the late 60's and after he came back from Nam, my cousin moved to Vermont - to a little town that still had dirt streets (have to go out of town to hit pavement!) and that has not changed since I was just up there a couple of years ago.

BTW, I used to live in the town next to Woodstock and during the week all the great residents used to hang at the local bars during the week and jam, Helm, Dylan, the Band........

Andy Bettencourt
08-22-2007, 04:24 PM
http://www.velvetrevolver.com/images/gallery_medium/tweeter3.jpg

lateapex911
08-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Tim, I'm very impressed never would've guessed you had it in ya. :D

We only saw DMB at the Meadows this year. I guess I'm the old one!!

R [/b]

I saw Dave Matthews in St. Louis in 93 in a bar along the river. He had this new album out that week called "Under the table, and dreaming". I bought one of everything he was selling, and called my fave radio station in LA when I arrived, begging them to play his stuff. Which they did. I bought as many tix as he was doing shows in So Cal....6 months later he was playing stadiums...sigh.

Whadja think of the Meadows show Rob? i was up on the hill. Great video displays, but I wish he would have hit some of the older stuff a bit harder and more often. maybe I was just too far away.

Doc Bro
08-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Jake, we were there the second night- down low. I loved the show, however it wasn't my favorite set list. What a class act that band is and the musicianship is bar-none. I come from a musical family and have been an avid percussioinist since I was a little shaver. Suffice it to say Carter plays stuff that leaves me with a tongue gaping stare (DMB lyric....who caught that one?). Tim, we should talk music sometime....I was a music major/pre-med bio in undergrad, and played in a serious working CT cover band until I started racing. No time for two hobbies. Who wudda thunk it??

R

Tkczecheredflag
08-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Jake, we were there the second night- down low. I loved the show, however it wasn't my favorite set list. What a class act that band is and the musicianship is bar-none. I come from a musical family and have been an avid percussioinist since I was a little shaver. Suffice it to say Carter plays stuff that leaves me with a tongue gaping stare (DMB lyric....who caught that one?). Tim, we should talk music sometime....I was a music major/pre-med bio in undergrad, and played in a serious working CT cover band until I started racing. No time for two hobbies. Who wudda thunk it??

R
[/b]
Happy to chat music.
My brother has been in the business for 30 years, Hall and Oates 14 years, Jimmy Buffett, Foreigner, Billy Idol, Billy Joel, Live Aid, CSN, CSNY, Carly Simon, Faith Hill, and many more.
Currently touring with Josh Groban. Runs ProTools for them. His focus has always been computer, synthesizer and effects - although he is a keyboardist by training. One of a hand full of technicians that does what he does - or so a I am told

Here is a little promo interview he did last year while touring with CSNY for ProTools and IK Multimedia.
http://www.artistrelations.com/movie_ik_mikek.html

Google Mike Klvana for the rest of the story.

My sis also toured for a few years with the Stones during the Steel Wheels tour - met her husband on that tour - fell in love with the director of lighting - now lives in England with three kids - husband has his own lighting company - did all Harry Potter films.

My sons play guitar and drums - so it's safe to say I love to purchase equipment and live vicariously through them.

We'll talk soon. Are you at NHIS this weekend, or is the car still on the rack?

cpm motorsports
08-22-2007, 11:01 PM

R
[/b]
Rob, would like to be in on the music conversation. I play the piano and do a little composing here and there. Tim let me tag along to the Mohegan Sun show and it was truly AWESOME! In my book music rules, (next to racing, of course.) B)

dominojd
08-23-2007, 06:01 AM
Happy to chat music.
My brother has been in the business for 30 years, Hall and Oates 14 years, Jimmy Buffett, Foreigner, Billy Idol, Billy Joel, Live Aid, CSN, CSNY, Carly Simon, Faith Hill, and many more.
Currently touring with Josh Groban. Runs ProTools for them. His focus has always been computer, synthesizer and effects - although he is a keyboardist by training. One of a hand full of technicians that does what he does - or so a I am told

Here is a little promo interview he did last year while touring with CSNY for ProTools and IK Multimedia.
http://www.artistrelations.com/movie_ik_mikek.html

Google Mike Klvana for the rest of the story.

My sis also toured for a few years with the Stones during the Steel Wheels tour - met her husband on that tour - fell in love with the director of lighting - now lives in England with three kids - husband has his own lighting company - did all Harry Potter films.

My sons play guitar and drums - so it's safe to say I love to purchase equipment and live vicariously through them.

We'll talk soon. Are you at NHIS this weekend, or is the car still on the rack?
[/b]

Don't sell yourself short. I new you were a musical genius. I found this. It must be your new gig. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kVS79oFYaE

Andy Bettencourt
08-23-2007, 07:29 AM
I am in! I play the cowbell.

:happy204:

Tkczecheredflag
08-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Tim: Nahhhhhh, My aunt and uncle moved to Danbury, had to have been in the late 60's and after he came back from Nam, my cousin moved to Vermont - to a little town that still had dirt streets (have to go out of town to hit pavement!) and that has not changed since I was just up there a couple of years ago.

BTW, I used to live in the town next to Woodstock and during the week all the great residents used to hang at the local bars during the week and jam, Helm, Dylan, the Band........
[/b]
Vermont sounds great - I'd ask where but fear there would be an invasion.
What a treat to see the "greats" as locals, when they can really relax and perform. - Wild.

TIMMY!

Don't sell yourself short. I new you were a musical genius. I found this. It must be your new gig. :D

[/b]
TIMMY!

I'll drive the Tour Bus.

TIMMY!

Greg Amy
08-23-2007, 08:56 AM
[/b]

BWAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH! I *thought* I recognized your voice!!!

Timmuh rulez!!

JohnRW
08-23-2007, 10:44 AM
And of course we can't forget In-a-gada-davida by Iron Butterfly
[/b]

I have that on CD, in the dually. Can't stand the drum solo. Maybe I'll play that in the pits at Nelson this weekend.

And...no...that's just cigar smoke.

Tom Blaney
08-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Here's what happens to old rock "classics" when they finally lose their smoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y7u_NXTQGc

It's tragic ... simply tragic.

Why it's almost as bad as driving an RX7 in ITA.

(That shoud get'em cranked)

dominojd
08-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Here's what happens to old rock "classics" when they finally lose their smoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y7u_NXTQGc

It's tragic ... simply tragic.
Why it's almost as bad as driving an RX7 in ITA.

(That shoud get'em cranked)
[/b]

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!