PDA

View Full Version : 240Z strut inserts

toddk
08-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Can someone measure up a 240Z strut insert for me. I need cartridge diameter, cartridge length, compressed length, and extended length. I modified a strut housing for my TR8 and now need a larger diameter insert. I think the Z car ones will work, but don't want to pony up a bunch of cash unless I'm sure first. What type of insert are you running in a 240Z for ITS?

Ron Earp
08-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Are you building a TR8 IT car? Where are you located?

Ron

toddk
08-17-2007, 09:36 AM
All ready own two with logbooks. One in ITE prep with a four liter and lots of go fast goodies not allowed in ITS. I also have ITS prep car that is in pieces and a third without a logbook in pieces. I built the struts for the E car. I might put together the old ITS car with a new body shell and cage over the Winter. Two small childeren have kept me out of SCCA racing since 2001, but I'll be back next year. I also stopped racing in ITS because of the BMWs. That is why I spent a ton of money to turn my second ITS car into an ITE car. Now that the BMW is contained and rules allow 15 inch wheels, fuel injection, etc. I wish I had left it alone. A TR8 properly prepped will be awesome in ITS. I still have my trailer. Just bought a new truck. Still need new safety gear, 15 inch rims and tires. My belts and helmet are expired, and mice got at my suit, gloves ,socks, and shoes. Had them in a hockey bag in my car. I think I spoke to you on the phone about a year ago. We talked about the five speed gearbox in your JH and whether or not it was combatible with the CR box in the BMW 2002. Seems the internals are the same, but bell housings are different. Still got the BMW 2002 in E-prod prep. Wish I could sell that thing off and free up some space. It currently sits in a state that won't allow it to fetch it's true value. Still needs a little work and a little money to be really nice. I live in Massachusetts.

JeffYoung
08-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Todd, I just had Lee Grimes & Co. at Koni convert my old Koni reds (I'm running on SPAX right now) to single external adjustable fronts, and double adjustable externally in the rear. Price was $700, not too bad and something to consider if you have a set of old reds laying around.

Ron Earp
08-17-2007, 11:03 AM
I can measure all my 260Z stuff which is the same, but as far as I know you are not allowed to modify the strut housing on your car. I know that we've done nothing to Jeff's TR8 housing and he did get some good struts to go in the car without having to chop anything up.

TR8 is a decent car in ITS and Jeff has his doing pretty well down here in the SE. The issues are getting resolved and the car is getting to be quite fast on the tracks. Cool to see that you are getting back into ITS racing and it'll be nice to hear about another "oddball" on track.

Ron

toddk
08-17-2007, 12:38 PM
I know I can't modify my struts in the ITS car. Those are all set with coil overs and spax. I am building up a set of Rover SD1 struts to use in either my ITE car or most likely in my street car. They have a larger diameter tube, a bigger spindle, bigger bearings, and a five lug bolt pattern. I've all ready installed the coil overs and developed a plan for vented rotors and Wilwood calipers. I just need to find a compatible strut insert. I was told the 240z struts are the right diameter, and around the same length as the TRs. The cars are similar in weight and balance, so it seems like a good fit. I just need to make sure before I buy, and I don't have a book that shows dimensions. I've also built a Ford posi 8.8 rear end with discs and a five lug pattern for the street car. Getting five bolt hubs for the front to match the rear was the main motivation to build up the SD1 struts. Even if I wanted to cheat on the ITS car, going from four to five lugs would be a dumb move. That's a little too obvious.

JeffYoung
08-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Todd, not to thread jack, but question for you. I'm having a hard time all of a sudden sourcing TR8 rotors here in the US.......hate to have to really on Reamers to get them to me. Do you know of anyone who has some in stock? Vicky B is saying they are not sure when they will get their back order filled, and I'm down to my last 4. Which is about 2 weekends worth for me.

08-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Where did you get the idea that you can't modify the strut housing? Any strut, shock, spring may be used as long as it is of the same type, number, and location, or something to that effect. You can shorten them, lengthen them, cut off the spring seat, weld on a new spring seat, replace the tube.

The inserts in many Z cars are actually Honda Accord shells with different valving to suit the racing needs.

If the Z inserts work in the TR8, great. Although most race inserts for a Z are really Honda parts, that is why they last so long!!!!

Mike

toddk
08-18-2007, 07:14 AM
Sorry about that. I should have said change. I can't remove my entire strut housing and replace it with one from another car. I can do everything you said, and have. On the TR8 the strut housing carries the spring perch and the ball joint mount, and the spindle. The top unscrews and a strut cartridge drops in. The Rover one looks identicle, just a little bigger. I can shorten it easy enough, I just need a cartridge that is slightly bigger around and still has the right compressed and extended lengths. I will need plenty of travel because this is going into a street car.