PDA

View Full Version : purple K fire bottle clean-up?

tom91ita
08-16-2007, 06:26 PM
my car had a fire bottle on it due to the motor going at the IT fest.

i have cleaned up pretty well but there are still misc. pockets that show up. i am particularly concerned about electrical connections when i pulled the motor.

any thing i should use to clean or use as a corrosion preventative when re-assembling?

tia, tom

924Guy
08-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Hey, Tom, that was you in the black car in B, then, right? My wife shot some vid of that little thermal event... :o

Nice racing with you, BTW! :023:

RSTPerformance
08-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Tom-

I was in the pits when you came in on fire, no video in that one race otherwise I would also have it... You did provide some entertainment for me while the crew worked on my car though!!!

Actually I wondered if you knew the car was on fire or not??? if you realized it, where did you realize it??? How did you decide where to go??? Any other advice for others that may encounter what you did?

Basically in all reality many of us think "that will never happen to me" but the reality is it is going to happen to someone here, and depending where you stop could mean the life or death of the car... You made very very good decisions.

Raymond "Glad to see that the car will be ok" Blethen

PS: I had a good time with you on the track as well, I wish that we had more time to play as you certainly have a fast ITB car!!!!

tom91ita
08-17-2007, 10:57 AM
i was completely unaware that there was an issue and by the Grace of God, i stopped where i did.

the car was off song a little coming up thunder valley and felt down on power and at the top of the hill, there was a really odd sound and i headed into the pits.

i had the engine off and was going to pull in behind another car (you perhaps?) and decided i had enough momentum to go further up the hill on the level.

i then saw someone with a fire bottle and someone pointing to stop there. i assumed it was because they saw smoke and were just playing it safe.

when i stopped, i had no clue and just started taking off my gloves to take off my helmut per any other normal stop.

it was only when they discharged the bottle under the hood that i decided i needed to hustle out of there.

i will NEVER stop unless it is near a worker station if i can help it in the future. that is the takeaway lesson i have. i never had any fire in the car or any significant smoke in the car.