PDA

View Full Version : Is Joe DiMinno really crazy?

gran racing
08-15-2007, 05:23 PM
I can't help but wonder if Joe D. is truly crazy, Jeff Lawton is a kitty cat (replace with other similar word), or I should be called Crazy Junior. Jeff keeps referencing Joe's actions as "crazy" and I keep thinking that's what I would have done with a puzzled look.

dominojd
08-15-2007, 07:42 PM
You spelled my name wrong in the title. DiMinno

Andy Bettencourt
08-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Why can't I vote for 1 & 2?

:birra:

Jake
08-15-2007, 09:11 PM
All of the above?

erlrich
08-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Quick story - June 2005, my first time trial with EMRA at Pocono, my first event ever outside of track days at Summit, so of course I need to have an instructor for my first couple of sessions before I can get signed off to run solo. The chief tells me my instructor's name is Joe, and I quickly learn that he just happened to be there with some friends and was recruited last-minute to instruct. No problem, I'm sure he's done this many times before...

Joe asks if I want him to show me the line around the course, and I'm thinking "cool, we can take a few easy laps and then I'll get behind the wheel and gradually work up to speed" :rolleyes: A short time later, as we're flying off into the infield section of Pocono's North Course at triple-digit speed I'm now thinking "holy s#!t, I didn't know this thing would corner like this!" All the while Joe is talking to me about something, but I swear I didn't hear a word he was saying. All I can think is this guy must be friggin' crazy to get into a strange car, when he had no idea how well it was put together, and start flogging it around the track like it was his daily driver. All said and done, it was a great learning experience; I learned what the car was capable of, and that it would hold up under hard use (or is it ab-use?). But as to the original question...I'll take a number one, with fries, please.

RSTPerformance
08-15-2007, 11:25 PM
Joe is normal... at least in my mind!!!

I had an experience at a PDX earlier this year when I drove a Cobra Replica around NHIS. The student was great, but it took him about 2 hours to settle down from the ride I gave him!!! I will never forget when I first got into the car, the student talked for a while how unique the car was and that I should take my time learning it and not rush into things, I guess spinning the tires through third gear on the first lap out of turn 3 wasn't taking my time!!! lol I even took him out in one of our team cars after that session to show him how much faster I could have gone with his car, but that I was actually being gentle in his car. At the end of the day though that student had improved a million %, he learned A LOT that day and appreciated the earlier ride.

As for crazy, what defines that? Taking unessesary risks, living on the edge, learning the boundries? I have not come close to spinning in every turn at NHIS and Lime Rock, and I certainly have not gone off track in every turn as well... ok maybe most of them... crap what turn havn't I gone off in... Ah ha, NHIS NASCAR turn 1 & 2 (not counting the chicane)!!! At Mid Ohio I only have been off in Madness and entering Thundervally so I guess I am not as crazy as Joe at that track!!!

Ok I voted...

Raymond

Greg Amy
08-16-2007, 07:14 AM
"Crazy"? I've actually been thinking about this, given his recent driving history.

Honestly, one can review this on a clinical level to determine if he's truly "crazy", and I'm sure there's some clinical psychologists that can argue that as fact. However, he *seems* sane, at least when he's not behind the wheel of a motor vehicle...

No, I'd argue that there's no obvious evidence of dementia or insanity; I suggest the issue is more one of either oblivion or possibly total lack of comprehension of potential results. In other words, I suggest he's not yet come to the realization - as most "old guys" have - that he's no longer immortal.

Then again, he just might be bat-sh*t nuts.

;)

JLawton
08-16-2007, 07:28 AM
" However, he *seems* sane, at least when he's not behind the wheel of a motor vehicle...

[/b]

Um, you really think so?? You're not paying attention........

I would have to vote for 1 & 2............. I can admit it!! I don't like it, but I can admit it. I like to think of it as driving within my abilities......... :rolleyes:

Hey, nobody has run door handle to door handle with Joe more than I have...... Hmmmm, maybe that makes me crazy........ <_<

Dave, did you see the video of Joe and my PDX "incident"???

Steele Magnolias Joe!! :023:

lateapex911
08-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Hey, nobody has run door handle to door handle with Joe more than I have...... Hmmmm, maybe that makes me crazy........ <_<

:023: [/b]

And nobody has more marks on their car to prove it either!

I actually don&#39;t think he&#39;s crazy at all.

The NHIS wall banger? Well, once you did that, what else would you do?? He didn&#39;t hit it on purpose, but after, you just keep going and hope for the best. If the cars gonna break, it&#39;s gonna break, and your race is over. Press on regardless until then....

And the Mid O off in 1? Again, what else would you do? IT&#39;s a FWD car....just keep your foot in it and get it headed back at the track... And come in a a significant angle so those on the track know you mean business and they capitulate.

No, Joes actually pretty cagey...he&#39;s got you all thinking he&#39;s nuts.

Advantage: Joe.