PDA

View Full Version : NorthEast Mid Ohio Update

JLawton
08-14-2007, 12:19 PM
I wanted to give a quick update on how the North East guys did this weekend. Hopefully everyone else can chime in also.

We were lucky enough to have a huge area for all of us to set up in. Unfortunately, almost everyone ran into some sort of problem over the weekend :( . I think both Blethen’s had problems, along with Jason, Jake, Dave, Tim, Joe and Greg (Matt and Kevin Hart actually got Greg’s tranny installed in 50 minutes!). Jerry, Dick and I escaped, although I didn’t see Jerry after his last race. (In fact, my car ran flawlessly the whole weekend and with Lee Gimes’s help, had the car fairly hooked up as well) But despite all that, everyone seemed to be having a good time even though the problems took away from the socializing time. On top of that, we had the help of Lee Grimes for the weekend. Enough to make most pro teams jealous!!

Joe and I had the only incident in the PDX (what is it with the two of us??) I’ll let Joe try to defend himself…….. ;) I only wish I was running video at the time!! He had to get some welding done after but was ready to go for qualifying.

It’s a great track, very different than any other I’ve run. The back part is very difficult to pass in and managing lapped traffic is key to finishing well………And I didn’t do a very good job of it! None of the videos do the elevation changes and speed any justice. The track and hospitality were first rate! Although I can only talk to the ITA race, everyone on track was for the most part considerate, no silly dive bombs, no bumping to get cars out of the way and the lapped cars (except for one) did a great job of staying predictable and allowed us to race.

I managed an 11th place in Saturday’s PM race with a time of 1:46.06 and was very pleased with that! Sunday morning Joe and I ran nose to tail for the first half of the race and I was running 6th until the second to last lapped when I got balked by a lapped car and had Jeremy Lucas and a CRX pass me to finish 8th. For the previous two laps I had done everything I could to keep the two of them behind me, so maybe it was inevitable!!

The last race had an interesting start (see my video in the other thread) I was actually in 5th place…………for about ½ a second!! By the end, I was wiped out and just cruising and ended up 10th. 45 minutes in that heat is tough! I would like to know how much weight I lost during the race.

This is a race you must put on your schedule for next year!

Greg Amy
08-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Our write-ups and videos are at:

http://www.kakashiracing.com/

30 second version: WONDERFUL event. I'm going back next year. Quallied 3rd for first race, but stripped third gear of its teeth in the race (look for broken teeth from the '06 ARRC-winning ITA transaxle for sale on eBay soon!) Best lap time placed us fifth on the grid for Race 2, but got punted about halfway through; finished 10th. Started 10th for Race 3, finished 5th with minimal issues.

In a nutshell: fast enough for top-five, but even without misfortune we were not fast enough to beat those well-prepared and extremely well-driven CRXs. But I'd do it again this weekend. In a heartbeat.

You now have two major events per year you CANNOT miss. - GA

RSTPerformance
08-14-2007, 02:32 PM
This is certainly a race that is a must do for everyone!!! TONS of track time and great people to race with!!! I mean, not everyone is as great as what we have here in the Northeast, but they do come in a close second ;)

For us I posted a long update on our weekend in the other thread, but we certainly did have our issues. We prepped for over a month almoast 2 in hopes of a relaxing weekend, but as per the norm these cars just can't handle what we give em...

The competition was tough but we held our own ;)

Saturday AM: Qualifying

Raymond - 3rd (Didn't run PDX)
Stephen- 5th (had a brief encounter with Tire Wall during the session)

Saturday PM: First Race

Raymond - 4th
Stephen - 5th (side by side with Raymond)

Sunday AM: Second Race

Raymond - Had contact with James Heckman, got a meatball flag and had to repair bumper before continuing, fell several laps daown.
Stephen - Loose wheelbearing pulled in before start to fix and lost several laps

Sunday PM: Third Race

Raymond - Lost motor and retired on lap 14
Stephen - Worked his way from the back to finish in a solid 4th

Had a great time, would have liked to hang out more, but enjoed the weekend none the less!!! See you at the Last Chance Enduro at Watkins Glenn in the Fall!!!

Raymond "You gota go next year, these guys/gals have their 'A" game on" Blethen

JLawton
08-14-2007, 03:37 PM
This is certainly a race that is a must do for everyone!!! TONS of track time and great people to race with!!! I mean, not everyone is as great as what we have here in the Northeast, but they do come in a close second ;)

For us I posted a long update on our weekend in the other thread, but we certainly did have our issues. We prepped for over a month almoast 2 in hopes of a relaxing weekend, but as per the norm these cars just can't handle what we give em...

The competition was tough but we held our own ;)

Saturday AM: Qualifying

Raymond - 3rd (Didn't run PDX)
Stephen- 5th (had a brief encounter with Tire Wall during the session)

Saturday PM: First Race

Raymond - 4th
Stephen - 5th (side by side with Raymond)

Sunday AM: Second Race

Raymond - Had contact with James Heckman, got a meatball flag and had to repair bumper before continuing, fell several laps daown.
Stephen - Loose wheelbearing pulled in before start to fix and lost several laps

Sunday PM: Third Race

Raymond - Lost motor and retired on lap 14
Stephen - Worked his way from the back to finish in a solid 4th

Had a great time, would have liked to hang out more, but enjoed the weekend none the less!!! See you at the Last Chance Enduro at Watkins Glenn in the Fall!!!

Raymond "You gota go next year, these guys/gals have their 'A" game on" Blethen
[/b]

Aren't you forgetting to tell us about the little contact you guys had during qualifying?? ;)

That's almost as bad as Joe and my "incident". :lol:

RSTPerformance
08-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Aren't you forgetting to tell us about the little contact you guys had during qualifying?? ;)

That's almost as bad as Joe and my "incident". :lol:
[/b]

We never actually made contact... Stephen went to the outside of me in the carousel and I waved at him to go on past on the outside as I decided that I wanted to follow him... he was going a little "hot" and ran out of track :rolleyes: It is certainly interesting to see your friends nevermind family go off track next to you, then into the wall in your mirrors... It certainly distracts you and makes you think about what sort of work you have when the session is over, not to mention the worries of any injuries.

Raymond "Not nearly as bad as Jeff and Joe ;) lol" Blethen

jlucas
08-15-2007, 07:47 PM
and had Jeremy Lucas and a CRX pass me to finish 8th. [/b]
:D

Sorry Jeff, I'm sure you'll get me back at Road Atlanta since I don't know my way away around there.

It was great meeting all the NE guys and hanging out. Felt like I'd known you guys for years.
Can't wait to see you all again at ARRC!

gran racing
08-16-2007, 02:39 PM
If you're thinking this was another typical race weekend just at a different track, you're so wrong. I was truly amazed with how much thought, effort, time, and dedication was put into the IT SPEC*tacular. The welcoming and continued "How are things going? Are you having fun? Is there anything else we can do?" was beyond anything I could have imagined. I've never experienced anything like it. From them stopping by on several occasions just to check in, offering to drive me around the paddock to look for a replacement fuel injector o-ring, to ensuring my car got loaded onto the trailer after my rotor failed / wheel came off. They went well beyond making us feel welcome.

What about the track? I found it very tough to learn but really, really cool at the same time. It had a great combination of hills, fast, technical, and “gut check” sections. We also had a significant amount of track time including the PDX prior to the races allowing us foreigner’s ample time to learn it. During the course of the events, I believe there was more than 4 hours of track time. Now that’s cool. The race format was also a blast. I was fortunate enough to win one of the races and come away was an extremely nice checkered flag and race medal. I can only imagine what the trophies for winning the event looked like.

For those of you who’ve ever wanted to experience a very high caliber event, you must put this one on your schedule for next year. In addition to the event itself being so great, the competition was top notch. My only regret of the weekend was not having more time to simply hang out, and walk around the paddock.