PDA

View Full Version : Looking back

Dave Burchfield
08-13-2007, 07:15 AM
In reflecting on the weekend, I am already looking forward to next year. Lots of great ideas, comments, and other thoughts were shared by many, which are valued and appreciated.

The effort of many to make the commitment to trave for this event is appreciated. For many of you who were here for the first time, I hope you found the track and facility to your liking. It is one of the premier tracks in the country.

There was some incredible racing this weekend with many people bringing their A game.

I saw some tired racers yesterday afternoon. It seems that the length of the races is pretty much at the limit of many drivers endurance.

It was a real pleasure to get to meet so many of you, and, in some instances, try to help make your weekend a bit easier.

We will be debriefing in the near future and the planning will begin for next year. 364 days and counting.....

iagreen
08-13-2007, 08:45 AM
It was a great weekend. Endurance-wise I was fine during the races, but I was pretty tired and sore afterwards (and moreso now). I'll just have to step-up the gym visits before next year. My only complaint is that I didn't hear any announcement about the Sunday afternoon race being shortened. And being in Group 1 didn't get to see that the other races were shorter. I might not have done any better that race, but it would have changed my strategy.

Dave Burchfield
08-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Good point. Maybe a sign on the false grid. Races were shortened due to the significant time being spent cleaning up the "issues" during the morning. That put the whole schedule behind and we are bound by contract to be off on Sunday at 5 p.m.(unless prior arrangements are made$$$$$$)

I saw you out in group 1 but didn't ever see you off the track.

Thanks for the response.....it is noted.......I hope to see you at the Autumn Classic

Racerlinn
08-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Dave, my only negative comment is regarding registration. It took me nearly 45 minutes to get thru the left side line shortly after it opened.

Good things:
Express Tech was great - that was like 5 minutes!
Great racing!
COLD beer!

RacerBill
08-13-2007, 12:09 PM
I want to second the motion that this was by far the greatest weekend I have had racing! On track, off track, wow! it was great.

Thanks to all you guys for putting up with me. And a special thanks to all the guys who missed me when I spun on Saturday morning (had to go off line in t9 at the bottom of the hill to get around someone who was having mechanical issues). BTW, I drove in on my own power after the spin - but I must have scared the s--t out of my wiring and on the next lap a crimp connector on the kill switch decided to un crimp itself. 5 minutes of diagnostics and 10 minutes work, and I had a new wire in place.

Rest of the weekend was great! Every session I was a little faster, every race I finished higher than I started, and the car drove onto the trailer to come home. For the last year an a half, we struggled to get the car to finish a race, and now we are working on alignment settings and stuff. Sunday morning in the qualifying race I even passed someone who didn't have his hand in the air or on the side of the track! Only to find that the crew had not turned on the in-car camera :(

As I was having alignment issues on Sunday, I decided to complete only the minimum number of laps to get credit for a finsh for both the qualifying race and the final race. I still consider the weekend to be sucessful from our standpoint and can't wait to get more sorting done and really race with you guy instead of just being out on the track at the same time. I will say that everyone was very considerate, and I never felt threatened by anyone cutting too close.(except maybe when Ian got a little sideways in front of me coming out of t14).

A special thanks to Tim Mullin for his help and guidance with my alignment issues. I was really pleased to put faces with all the names and I just wish that there was more time to meet everyone.

Hope everyone had at least a good time, had a safe trip home, and that the event is even bigger next year.

Dave Burchfield
08-13-2007, 01:36 PM
......and didn't you like the updates from Tim Gordon? He had his laptop with him in the cab of the rollback and was sending along his notes from there. I thought his perspective was pretty cool too.

BlueStreak
08-13-2007, 02:20 PM
......and didn't you like the updates from Tim Gordon? He had his laptop with him in the cab of the rollback and was sending along his notes from there. I thought his perspective was pretty cool too.
[/b]

yes, that was way cool, and appreciated, for those of us who wanted to be there and couldn't

Eagle7
08-13-2007, 02:37 PM
This was an awsome weekend. Y'all that missed it better be there next year! :018:

Dave, special thanks to you for your outstanding efforts to get this event off the ground, and to keep it running smoothly. Sorry your car wasn't ready. I was looking forward to sharing the track with you.

I'm one that was stretched to the endurance limit. Maybe my wife's prodding to get to the gym needs to be listened to?

Disappointments:
I didn't meet as many of you as I had hoped,
I didn't get to Gran's paddock to get his book. Maybe he'll send me one.
I'll be back.

Rabbit07
08-13-2007, 04:29 PM
What a great weekend! I had been waiting for this one all year and it was worth every minute. I was glad to meet the guys from the North East; Jeff, Greg, Joe, Jake, Tim, ect... and catch up with some old friends like Downing, and Scott Lunder. I really hope we can do this one again next year. I hope I represented my Division and my Region well. There was so much close, intense, racing all over the track it was awesome.
Note to self, " Don't use A's in the middle of August for a 17 lap Qualifying Race!!!" :bash_1_:

JLawton
08-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Dave,

You guys put on a fantastic event. I felt that the red carpet was rolled out for us, made the event even more special.

Once I get unpacked and get some sleep, I'll think more about answering your question. I do agree that I didn't get to meet as many people as I would have liked!!

I do want to comment on the PDX. The region was very accomadating by letting us have "testing" rules instead of PDX rules. I also know that many were not happy with some of our actions......... :unsure: But the "cone thing" really wasn't our fault!!! ;) It was kind of silly to send us out there with apex cones that were 2' onto the track!! :lol: Mid O has some nice curbs!! Ya gotta use 'em!!! And the knuckle head that drove off the course on the first lap can't be blamed, he's really not that good of a driver!! :lol: (no, it wasn't me...........)

The bottom line with the PDX: I hope we get forgiven and can have it again next year!

Again, a great time, well organized and can't wait for next year!!

TimM ITB
08-13-2007, 06:41 PM
A lot of good things have been said about the event, the people, the track, and the way we "outsiders" were made to feel "at home" at Mid-Ohio - and every word was true! Great job to all the folks who put this together and made it happen!!

This was my first time to this track, and I can see why it has been considered one of the premier tracks in the country. VERY technical and challenging at every part of the track!

I am hoping that the folks who put together the scheduling for the different regions can keep this date / this event in mind for next year, because I'd bet that if there were less scheduling conflicts that you'd have an even bigger turn out for next year. I, for one, will keep it locked onto my calendar.

Special thanks to Todd and Bill Stevens for helping me to store my "stuff" for a couple of weeks prior to the event - and for the great personal hospitality that you folks showed.

364 and counting.................!

Tim M

dickita15
08-14-2007, 06:13 AM
I think it was a great event. Mid Ohio is a pretty amazing track, faster than I thought and a real roller coaster with a lot of places where you really have to trust the car. I admit to being a slow learner on a new track but this one takes a lot of work to know. In many places a mistake in one place gets you so far behind in you rhythm it takes forever to get it back. Facilities are of course very nice.

Many thanks to the Cinncy Region for making us feel welcome. Thanks to Kurt, Todd, Dave and all the other locals for their hard work to make this event come off well and make us feel welcome.

Being able to test at the PDX was a great solution for the region and the racers and for a first ever PDX they did pretty good. I am confident that this part of the event will improve now that they have one under their belt.

The organization for the race weekend was first class. Although I am not a fan of the 45 minute races (maybe because I am an old fat guy) it did give me time to learn a lot during each race. I might look at the points system and give more value for a win. I finished 4th three times and felt guilty being tied in points with Jason who had 2 wins and a dnf. Thank god his wins were the tie breaker.

Dave said the date may be 2 weeks earlier next year, let us know as soon as you are sure and we will work to try to keep the calendar as clear as possible.

Great event and well worth the trip. Those who missed it should plan on being there next year.

924Guy
08-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Second all of the comments above, and wanted to add, those trophies are beautiful!! I'm very glad I got to take one home - too bad it doesn't say something even nicer on it, but that's between me, my tire gauge, and my switches, I guess! LOL

I do think the 45 minutes may be a bit excessive, given the time of year. Maybe if it were spring or fall; I do like the added dimension the added length gives to the race, it's just a little extreme at 25 laps. Maybe 20 would've been a better target.

PS - the qualifying race wasn't long enough - I needed another few laps to hunt down Louzon there... ;)

Great job all, real classy event, and glad to have gotten a chance to finally meet so many people in person...

roberthuff24
08-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Awesome weekend, great event, great catching up with a lot of you.

I had some great racing with kris smith, he is a real class act and really deserved his wins last weekend. I am really looking foward to some great racing down at the ARRC with a new frontrunner in ITS.

I must say i really enjoyed watching the ITA races. Good to see Bob take the championship in ITA. Also some fantastic driving by Joe after he starting woes :dead_horse:

Definitly coming back next year!!!!

Rob

RSTPerformance
08-15-2007, 03:21 PM
I thought it was a great weekend, and the track time certainly makes it worth while to make the drive out. I think that the races were a perfect length, even though I didn't make it to the finish in one ;)

My list of things not to change:

1. The wonderful welcoming that everyone gave us "outsiders."
2. The Race lengths (I liked them).
3. The "championship series" style
4. The race groupings are perfect IMO
5. The trophies were very nice
6. Keep Phils Tire Service
7. Keep that race parts store open!!!
8. Bring back the Bulls and Ponies
9. Keep the PDX and/or make it a 1 day drivers school
10. The Track!!!

My list of things to look at for a change: (Please don't get upset with my suggestions, I really loved the event as a whole...)

1. Split starts at least for groups with only 2 classes - could be a determining factor in my return (also get a chief seward that at least understands the difference between the term "split grid" and "split start")
2. Sunday AM 10 minute hardship for those that have legitamite reasons
3. Possably change the points structure for the championship especially in smaller classes as Dick mentioned above.
4. charge an extra $10 per person and have a organized party where those whom are loud wont get in trouble!!! I like at the Old Runoffs how they always had the "turn 1 party."
5. Work on contingency awards :)
6. Add dividers in the showers :unsure:
7. Slow down the ITB BMW's :blink:
8. Slow Down the ITB Porche 924's :wacko:
9. Slow down the ITB Dave Gran's :cavallo:
10. Slow down Hondas in all classes!!! :mad1:

gran racing
08-15-2007, 03:50 PM
This was a kick ass event. The people who organized this and worked the event truly went all out. Just awesome! More will be posted in the N.E. section about just how welcoming everyone was at this event...

Keep:
- I loved the 3 race format for a championship.
- The willingness to listen and actually think about people's opinions about what worked and what didn't. With the amount of work people put into this event, I could see this being challenging.
- The people involved in organizing this event. Again, see the N.E. section but it was something else. Even after the event, I got a PM with a "hope you enjoyed the event". That's pretty hard to beat!
- I didn't see the weekends trophies, but loved the medals you gave out with the "IT SPEC*tacular" on it. I also really like the checkered flags and the quality of them.
- Victory laps for class winners.

Hmmm:
- The PDX tech. for racecars. Since this was the source of the most frustration during the event, you guys obviously did a fantastic job with the race weekend. Maybe instead of checking pad thickness, you should check the rear rotors to ensure they won't come apart during the weekend. LOL
- I'm still unsure about which would work best - chicane or not. It is very challenging to pass at while using the chicane and not using it would open up a passing zone. At the same time, I do agree that there could be higher chances of incidences in that turn, not that I would ever push things. :rolleyes: \
- Split starts. I've never really pushed for this before, but at this track things seemed a bit different. I found myself becoming frustrated with a few cars in a higher class that were faster in the straights but not in the other sections of the track.
- Possibly re-work the points system. I still need to give thought on this one.
- Start the races on the back straight. Even qualifying on ITB pole (combined with ITS), the start was impossible to see. I also think it would help with the first turn in the race.

Thank you for all the work, time, effort, and thought you put into making this event as spec*tacular as it was.

philstireservice
08-15-2007, 04:56 PM
I thought it was a great weekend, and the track time certainly makes it worth while to make the drive out. I think that the races were a perfect length, even though I didn't make it to the finish in one ;)

My list of things not to change:

1. The wonderful welcoming that everyone gave us "outsiders."
2. The Race lengths (I liked them).
3. The "championship series" style
4. The race groupings are perfect IMO
5. The trophies were very nice
6. Keep Phils Tire Service
7. Keep that race parts store open!!!
8. Bring back the Bulls and Ponies
9. Keep the PDX and/or make it a 1 day drivers school
10. The Track!!!

[/b]

#6 How nice !!! It was great being with old friends and meeting new ones. It's usually the best part of the weekend for us....Thanks

TAC
08-15-2007, 10:08 PM
My list of things to look at for a change: (Please don't get upset with my suggestions, I really loved the event as a whole...)

1. Split starts at least for groups with only 2 classes - could be a determining factor in my return (also get a chief seward that at least understands the difference between the term "split grid" and "split start")
2. Sunday AM 10 minute hardship for those that have legitamite reasons
3. Possably change the points structure for the championship especially in smaller classes as Dick mentioned above.
4. charge an extra $10 per person and have a organized party where those whom are loud wont get in trouble!!! I like at the Old Runoffs how they always had the "turn 1 party."
5. Work on contingency awards smile.gif
6. Add dividers in the showers unsure.gif
7. Slow down the ITB BMW's blink.gif
8. Slow Down the ITB Porche 924's wacko.gif
9. Slow down the ITB Dave Gran's cavallo.gif
10. Slow down Hondas in all classes!!! mad1.gif[/b]

Raymond,

No offense taken.

1. Split starts: That's something that is up to the Chief Steward, once the sanction numbers are issued I'm out of the picture on this one. But I'll keep it in mind when we start the process of looking for next year.
2. Sunday AM hardship practice: Good Idea!
3. Points structure: The only thing with making a win more significant is it leaves more people out of the hunt for the last race. Or does it?
4. Mid-Ohio has been notified about the one security guard that had "Barney Fife syndrome". I apologize for the incident, he even kicked me off the track and my name is on the contract for the track rental. lol
a. Turn 1 1/2 party was always awesome. Its one of my goals to get going again.
5. Already working on it.
6. Work out and look buff.
The next few are just fun remarks.

7. Head to Colorado, Brent will be waiting.
8. Already did, its called a $2 switch
9. Left hub. Spins a lot then hits wall.
10. Couldn't catch one if I tried.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and I'm glad you had a good time.

Todd

RSTPerformance
08-15-2007, 11:10 PM
I don't look buff already??? lol Dave said I was looking good???

Raymond

bonespec
08-16-2007, 01:33 AM
Dave, as a former CincySCCA member (8 years removed, I can explain at next weeks meeting) the ONLY thing I see that was wrong, the cutting short of the final races.

Big break between Group 4 and Group 5 Qual races, then after Group 5 STRAIGHT into National Anthem and Group 1 final race.

Group 1 didn't know they were cut short 3 laps, I as a spectator didn't hear about it until between Group1 and Group 2.

I do understand why it was done.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/bo.../sccaaward1.jpg (http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/bonespec/Honda/Autox/sccaaward1.jpg)

Other than that LITTLE issue, SUNDAY was a blast!

All in all a great day, no MAJOR incidents or full course yellows.

JLawton
08-16-2007, 07:13 AM
Now that I've gotten some sleep............

- Keep the chicane. When Kevin Ruck made the comment about, "the way god intended" (or something like that), I was like, huh?? Then I drove it. Although it took awhile to get it down, it is a blast to drive. Yes it takes away a passing zone but anyone can drive in a straight line!! :D Keep it!!

- I was trying to think of a way to get more socializing between racers and struggled with that one. The pizza party was great, but a lot of guys had to run off to work on their cars before it got dark. Free beer always makes people sociable!!

- Contingencies would be nice. Between all the racers I'm sure there are a lot of contacts to the appropriate people.

- Talking it up on the forums helped keep the excitment level up.

- Tow funds :D

- Slow down the Honda's.

- I'm up in the air about the length. I had a tough time with the heat but it did add different strategies to the races which made it more interesting. Maybe 1/2 hour qualifying and four 1/2 hour races??

- Loved the track time!!

- Add dividers to the showers so no one else has to look at the Blethen's.... :lol:

- I really liked that although everyone raced very hard, people weren't over aggressive. Even the guys who got shuffled back in the pack were patient with their passes when coming back through the field.

- Again, as I had said a few times before, everyone went out of their way to make it a great experience!!

I really can't think of anything else to change........

Great job, can't wait for next year!!

Dave Burchfield
08-16-2007, 07:44 AM
Some thoughts about the myriad of great thoughts offered here:

No one can predict the amount of time it is going to take to clean up after a qualifying session or a race. Since I work as a Course Marshall for Pro races at MO, I am somewhat sensitive to this. In the Sunday qualifying races, there was a greater amount of cleanup than expected. There is a choice here....leave the cars out until lunch or bring them in after each session. If you are brought in, you might have a chance to get the car ready for the afternoon race.

Please remember, our sage Race Chair, Todd, said that track time would be dependent upon time spent cleaning up. This was shared early in the planning on this board. This comment is not to be "preachy" or to scold, just to add some clarity to the situation.

Any time past 5 p.m. on Saturday is billed to the region at over $1000/hour. Remember, MO has to pay their employees. On Sunday, the stop time is 5 p.m. no question unless prior arrangements are made($$$$)

Now that we have had one successful event and it looks like it is going to happen again, we can go after sponsors and contingencies. Most corporations plan their advertising and marketing budgets before the end of the calendar year. You can bet we will be after them soon.

The showers at MO have been without dividers for as long as I have been going there(15 yrs) I don't see that changing any time soon.

The learning curve was steep this year, we learned much about putting on this type event, and with all the excitement that has been displayed in this community, we know it can be a success in the future. You can be assured that there will be much analysis of data and brainstorming to make the future events a success for all participants. This year was a bit of a gamble inasmuch as we were in somewhat uncharted waters. The IT and SM communities stepped up and said that this was an event that they were willing to support which is appreciated.

In the coming weeks and months there will be information shared here.

I too am looking forward to next year. Thank you all for supporting us!!!

924Guy
08-16-2007, 10:17 AM
7. Head to Colorado, Brent will be waiting.
8. Already did, its called a $2 switch
9. Left hub. Spins a lot then hits wall.
10. Couldn't catch one if I tried.
[/b]

:lol: :happy204:

gran racing
08-16-2007, 11:23 AM
9. Left hub.[/b]

Left rear rotor. :bash_1_:

Eagle7
08-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Left rear rotor.[/b]

How'd the wheel come off?

Greg Amy
08-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Actually, to be specific (I inspected the results quite in detail) apparently Dave's car has a single-piece combination hub and rotor in the rear (yep, one piece, just like the front of my Ford heavy duty truck). The caliper is, of course, mounted to the knuckle/housing assembly.

What happened is that the hub failed at the bearing interface radius (just like the VW front bearings); the bearing collar itself remained on the car, secured to the stub axle with the hub nut, but the hub face broke off at the radius to the wheel flange. Since the brake rotor is one piece with the wheel flange, and the brake rotor ring was retained by the knuckle-mounted brake caliper, when the hub broke away the rotor ring broke off from it as well (and, as far as I can tell, the rotor ring was never recovered.

So, what we were left looking at is the car with the bearing and the immediate "housing" part around it and the wheel with the hub flange still bolted to it, with the AWOL rotor ring nowhere to be found.

Dave's immediate problem is that this year Prelude ('87) is a bastard child with a unique rear suspension/brake system. He indicated - quite strongly - that this hub/rotor assembly is nowhere to be found: not from Honda, not from NAPA, Advanced, Pep Boys, or online, and very rarely from a salvage yard. And, even if you *could* find one in a salvage yard, I'm personally not impressed with the quality of the casting materials used; it looked to me very much like "pot metal" (though I'm sure it's not. It just didn't look like high-quality cast iron...)

This reminds me that I intend to assist Dave in finding a suitable replacement, especially if this is going to be a regular wear item. Worst case, we may get to test the ITCS in that it implies non-available parts can be substituted by some else... - Greg

Joe Moser
08-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Prelude Si Parts Options:

1987 Prelude Si (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/car/396566745.html)
$1.00 - 1987 Prelude Si - Front End Damage (Los Angeles)

1987 Prelude Race Car (http://nh.craigslist.org/car/377255026.html)
$1200 - 1987 Prelude Si Race Car - UGLY :)

There are quite a few 1987 Prelude Si's available on the West Coast for ~$300, but you'd need somebody over there to pick up the car, get anything usable off of it and scrap the rest... You know anybody racing a Prelude in Honda Challenge that would help you out (and need some parts as well)?

Rabbit07
08-16-2007, 03:06 PM
I for one, would like to see the races stay at 25 laps. I have always enjoyed driving for extended periods of time. For those of you who think the races need to be shorter, there is a thing called a cool suit.

I would not change much about the event at all except adding sponsors. Perhaps a real test day the day before instead of a PDX? However if it was just race cars this year, then the number of cars would have been low. I actually expected to see more race cars there on friday.

Also, slow down the CRXs, and Greg Amy :P

TAC
08-16-2007, 03:22 PM

There are quite a few 1987 Prelude Si's available on the West Coast for ~$300, but you'd need somebody over there to pick up the car, get anything usable off of it and scrap the rest... You know anybody racing a Prelude in Honda Challenge that would help you out (and need some parts as well)?
[/b]

Maybe Rick Maki (SM driver) could help out since he does live in L.A. I'm sure he has some West Coast connections and had a great time at Mid O this past weekend.

Todd

gsbaker
08-16-2007, 03:40 PM
This reminds me that I intend to assist Dave in finding a suitable replacement, especially if this is going to be a regular wear item. Worst case, we may get to test the ITCS in that it implies non-available parts can be substituted by some else.[/b]Time for a Chevy 12 bolt. :D

RacerBill
08-16-2007, 04:23 PM

[/b]

My son lives in Bakersfield and works in a private auto repair shop - might be talked into stripping and shipping some parts off one of those el cheapo's.

tom91ita
08-16-2007, 08:57 PM
just want to say thanks to the cincy region for a race well done. my car was not quite well done thanks to the prompt use of a fire bottle.

this is the cause of the oil on track during the morning race. i apologize for any that got into the oil.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/tom91ita/album...460762405165539 (http://new.photos.yahoo.com/tom91ita/album/576460762405165539)

tom

BlueStreak
08-16-2007, 09:24 PM
ouch!

My temptation to make a smarty pants remark is overridden only by the realization that if I do, my engine will be next!

924Guy
08-17-2007, 07:36 AM
As mentioned in the other thread - my wife got video of the event in the pits... will try to include it in a highlight reel of trackside vids later...

Catch22
09-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Hi guys,
I wasn't racing, but I'm an experienced guy and I was watching. I also have lots of ARRC experience as well.

All in all it was a GREAT event that really made me wish I still had a race car. Loved the format, the track is great, and the event ran smoothly best any of us could tell.

A few suggestions for the future, many of which have already been mentioned...

- Add a couple of 10 minute hardship sessions first thing Sunday morning. Folks can't go out unless they cleared it with a steward.

- Shorten the Sunday morning races to 20 minutes. Creates time for the hardship sessions and also makes time in case something goes wrong so the afternoon "feature" races don't get shortened.

- Split starts... This really is a big deal for the slowest of the 2 classes on the track in the IT races. We watched a particular ITS car completely bungle up the front of the ITB race for about 1/3 of a race. Splitting them gets ITS racing with ITS and ITB racing with ITB at least until things start to string out and passing slower cars is easier.
A couple of years ago at the ARRC the CS decided to NOT split the ITB/ITC race and the first lap was a DISASTER that took out a bunch of cars in both classes. They've vowed not to do that again.
A "championship" race should take every measure it can to get cars racing mostly with other cars in their own class, and its really not that hard to do, and everyone is happier when it happens at the ARRC.

Great great great event that should only get better as the organizers settle in and word spreads.