PDA

View Full Version : Updates!!!!

downingracing
08-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Thurs. night at 10:40pm. We are here! Camp fire is going and we are going thru the beer! (Will be making a run in the AM for Fri. night party...) Should have a case or so to 'share'. Weather is great! Rain earlier and now cool, clear and 70-ish. Car is still on the trailer and yes, I'm fairly lit! :cavallo:

Camp fire testing is going good. We learned what to do and what NOT to do... We will be ready for the camp fire tomorrow!

And for those of you who know me - the car is STILL on the trailer. Might come off Tomorrow. :P

Looking forward to the weekend!

See (some of) you Tomorrow!

** Updates will be made on and off during the day. I'm in group 1, so look for updates later in the morning and mid-afternoon. I'll get a 'final' update once the days activities are complete. (as long as I can still type!)

Matt

downingracing.com

bonespec
08-10-2007, 04:34 AM
SWEET!

Matt dunno if I'll be there Sat night, I'd love too, but sleeping in the heat doesn't happen for me.

My sleeping habits keeps others awake (snoring) so I guess I could be "planted" in the Ruck Compound if needed.

Everyone racing, safe Quals to a all, no need to be thrashing on Sat. night.

downingracing
08-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Friday morning at 8:00-ish. Starting the day. Anyone want PDX updates? If not, I'll report in the AM Tomorrow. :)

Racerlinn
08-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Yeah, but is the car still on the trailer?

924Guy
08-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Don't worry, Downing, I'm bringing a case of Bell's to help you with that... ;)

Chris Wire
08-10-2007, 01:20 PM
You guys let me know when you see Calvin Fish, Dorsey Schroeder, Greg Creamer, et al, and I'll keep surfing SpeedTV.com for the broadcast schedule.

This is going to be huge! :happy204:

Good luck to all IT.comers there. As you know, simply being a member here gives you a tremendous advantage over your competition. :023:

P.S. Is the car still on the trailer? :)

bonespec
08-10-2007, 01:51 PM
"car? what car?"

downingracing
08-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Fri. 6:30pm:

PDX was a great event! Only Two cars had 'impacts' that I know of. Everyone else had a great time!

Yes Steve, the car IS off the trailer. AND the NEW R6 Hoosiers are mounted. Yes I said NEW - BRAND NEW!

We've got the fire pit ready to go and the beer is on-ice. We've already started the beer testing. I'm happy to say that it is GOOD!

More updates Tomorrow. :)

gsbaker
08-11-2007, 12:55 PM
Well? :)

spdmonkey
08-11-2007, 01:40 PM
i've been racing enough with downing to begin to wonder why there are no updates....i hope he's not working on the car again due to contact...i mean shawn is working on the car... :cavallo:

dave

Dave Burchfield
08-11-2007, 02:45 PM
So..........it's Moser the younger in A(dad overheated) Amy has a killer start to take the lead then loses a or some gears in the trans.

Huffmaster out to a 3 second lead in S until about lap 5 when Smith overtakes in the keyhole, builds a 5 second lead and wins by 3 seconds.

More to follow..........

Film at 11.......

OH..........and Downing comes in on a rollback......no bent sheetmetal but possibly a suspension issue

and Gran wins big in B

RED DIAMOND
08-11-2007, 02:48 PM
i've been racing enough with downing to begin to wonder why there are no updates....i hope he's not working on the car again due to contact...i mean shawn is working on the car... :cavallo:

dave
[/b]
Dave
I hate to report that Matt broke a left rear hub/stub axel and I had to bring him in on the rollback.

Tim

Dave Burchfield
08-11-2007, 02:54 PM
The Downing paddock is deserted........are they out sourcing another stub axle, or are they just going after beer?

Inquiring minds...........

Dave Burchfield
08-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Here we go!!!!!

Final results:

ITA
1. Rob Moser 1:43.962
2. AJ Nealey 1:44.258
3. Jon Marhefka 1:43:887
4. Jan Reif
5. Kevin Ruck

Fastest race lap - Jon Marhefka 1:43.887
Margin of victory - 5.38 seconds

IT7
1. Jason Albright 1:48.693
2. Scott Nutter 1:48.943
3. Phil ALspach 1:52.062

Margin of victory - 9.372 seconds

ITC
1. Vesa Silegren 1:51.277
2. Bill Shearer 1:52.052
3. Keith Hamilton 1:52.555

Margin of victory - 17.03 seconds

RACE GROUP 2

ITS
1. Kristian Smith 1:42.636(new track record)
2. Rob Huffmaster 1:42.817(better than existing track record)
3. Brian Ehmer 1:44.293
4. Keith Wise
5. Larry Morris

Fastest Race lap - Kristain Smith at 1:42.636
Margin of victory - 1.325 seconds
Average race speed - 83.237 mpg(that's haulin')

ITB
1. Dave Gran 1:49.382
2. Brent Louzon 1:49.178
3. James Heckman 1:49.582
4. Raymond Blethen
5. Stephen Blethen

Margin of victory - 5.973 seconds

The TCC group is out now........20 Corvettes.....what fun!!

If you stayed home.......you should be just sick right now. Temp is 80 with a breeze, beautiful blue skies, and the just pulled the beer wagon in for the party this evening.

More later..................if anyone can still type.......

downingracing
08-11-2007, 04:08 PM
4:14pm update. Everyone already covered the updates, so I've got nothing to report... Small suspension problem, but it is all better now and I can continue my run to try to stay out of the fast ITA cars way!! I'm pretty much sucking. Hope to get a little faster Tomorrow. (doubt it, but one can always dream!!)

Beer is on-ice and ready to go for the after-party party/camp fire. I'm ready to have one now! (of course, I'll wait until the last checkered of the day... :P )

tnord
08-11-2007, 05:17 PM
SM
Bennett
Watts
Maki
Fowler

i was pretty dang close on my predictions so far. :)

bonespec
08-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Beer is on-ice and ready to go for the after-party party/camp fire. I'm ready to have one now! (of course, I'll wait until the last checkered of the day... :P )
[/b]

no pics of the camp fire?????

m glassburner
08-12-2007, 06:18 AM
ITB details ??? It looked like a close race... :eclipsee_steering:

Dave Burchfield
08-12-2007, 07:31 AM
ITB details?? Dave Gran ended up racing with some of the mid-pack S cars and P2, 3, 4, and 5 were a freight train for the last 20 or so laps.

It's another beautiful morning at Mod-Ohio. Cool and beautiful blue skies. Most everyone is back in condition to compete today. Heck, even Jake was polishing his wheels last evening so you know he has to be getting ready for the big day today. Seems he had a bit of a fuel delivery issue that took him out yesterday, but that is now attended to.

Kudos to Vaughn Scott and his gang for getting their cars ready for today. Vaughn had a $2 switch put him out yesterday and Rob Spencer had a pretty significant encounter with some concrete. It required the mind power of a number of engineering minds to develop a strategy to rectify the situation, and the car is ready to go back on the track. We'll let them share the details.

It' going to be a great day!

gsbaker
08-12-2007, 08:17 AM
If you stayed home.......you should be just sick right now.[/b] :(

Dave Burchfield
08-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Sundau morning Qualifying Race results:

GROUP 1

ITA
1 Joe Moser 1:42.939(better than existing track record)
2. Jon Marhefka
3. Rob Moser
4. AJ Nealey
5. Joe Diminno

IT7

1. Jake Gulick 1:48.588
2. Scott Nutter
3. Phil Alspach
4. Dick Patullo

ITC

1. Vesa Silegren 1:50.613
2. Bill Schearer
3. Shawn Hobbs
Keith Hamilton
5. Jon Schneider

RACE GROUP 2

ITS

1. Kristin Smith 1:42.667
2. Brian Ehmer 1:42.588(better than existing track record)
3. Rob Huffmaster
4. Allen Milarcik
5. Dan Hrading

ITB

1. Brent Louzon 1:49.013
2. Vaughn Scott
3. Doug Spencer
4. John Lukacz
5. Tim Mullen

Group 1 notes from afternoon race(no results as of yet)

Gulick off after 5 or so laps.
Moser, Moser, and Marhefka break away and have a great battle. Moser wins

more later........

gsbaker
08-12-2007, 02:46 PM
More, more! We're dyin' out here. :banghead:

jlucas
08-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Sun ITA results:
1) Bob Moser
2) Joe Moser
3) Jon Marhefka
4) AJ Nealy
5) Greg Amy

Random notes: ITA: 24 starters on Sat, 21 on Sunday. Two 45 minute races, and a 30 min qualifying race. Wow, what a weekend! Definitely one of my most memorable weekends. I hope they do it again next year and if they do, you do NOT want to miss this one!

On Saturday, Greg Amy lost 3rd gear in his tranny 1/2 way through (got a replacement in Cleveland), also Marhefka started from the back to get that 3rd place finish. Crazy Joe had a wild save just in front of me (I've got video).
Sunday Qualifier: Ruck had some unfortunate contact and the car was not repairable before the main event. Moser ran a 1:42.929!!!!
Sunday: some of the front cars got together on the start (I've got video) but I think everyone was able to continue; it included one of the Mosers who later went by me like I was an ITC car. Crazy Joe went out with what later turned out to be a spark plug wire that had popped off, doh!

ITB: Dave Gran took the win on Saturday but had a rr hub shear off during the Sunday qualifier putting him out.

Me, I'm satisfied with my two 7th place finishes and to have made 6 new friends (Dave, Jake, Jeff, Greg, Crazy Joe, and AJ).

When I get my act together I'll post a couple of interesting video highlights.

Thanks again to Lee Grimes for helping us all out with shock advice. Lee is the man!

tom91ita
08-12-2007, 09:53 PM
absolutely the best event i have been to in years. even with blowing up my motor.

met a lot of folks from here and it was great!

BlueStreak
08-13-2007, 08:54 AM
absolutely the best event i have been to in years. even with blowing up my motor.

met a lot of folks from here and it was great!
[/b]

If that ain't a ringing endorsement, what is?

just keep rubbing it in Tom :mad1:

Seriously, glad to hear the event went well, can't wait to make the sequel!

924Guy
08-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Our results - some already mentioned, what a long, exhausting weekend, hot'n'sweaty, was great to finally meet so many familiar names from the boards... thanks to Cincy Region for putting on such a great event, it was a hoot! Lovely trophies too! Big thanks to the cool cats at HIPPI Racing for providing the means to stitch Doug Spencer's header back together Sat evening after it suffered such a spectacular failure! You guys are great! :birra:

As noted, we had a rough Saturday... I started off with a loose plug wire in qual, came back from that to manage 2nd on ITB grid, but lost my fuel pump switch as mentioned, right at the end of the first lap... got to sit in the Keyhole and watch the whole party (while baking in the sun)... Doug was working his way through the field as expected till the header popped and put him out... and Bob Spencer's car was fighting somewhat self-induced intermittent power problems; when you suddenly double the HP coming out of Madness, it's hard to keep from backing it into the wall! We shocked the experts getting that thing back straight enough to even make it look like a Nissan again!

Sunday was way too much fun; I started in back, thanks to my wonderful performance Saturday; got by I think half the ITB field on the first lap... then kept cruising up, stalking through the field while others took eachother out in front of me... Caught Gran, who was trying to work over the 2002 from Colorado for the lead... Dave overdrove himself into the Carousel in front of me, allowing me to motor up on by him... he hung on for a little while, trying to give me some trouble, but couldn't quite put anything together; then I think coming down the back straight with only a few laps to go, the hub went; he made it through the right, then Madness, but only barely, and completely lost the wheel, nearly flipping over it, entering the Esses, and ending up sideways into the tires. Pretty spectacular, film at 11... ;) That put me in 2nd, Doug behind me and a ways back in 3rd, and while I was closing on the Bimmer, wasn't quite able to get there in time to take a shot at first.

Then the Sunday PM race, the 2002, me, and Doug, all starting right where we finished, in order... Doug motored by me out of 1 after getting held up a bit by some of the low ITS guys... dropped into line behind him and tried to keep the train going, so we (the top 3) pulled away from the rest of the pack... but after 10-15 laps of giving chase, something overheated - engine, tires, driver, or maybe all 3 - and laying back turned into falling back, and I ended up a good 6 seconds behind at the checker...

Ah well, we learned a lot about what's needed to run at those big tracks, was a great test of the equipment and drivers, just wish I could get to the ARRC too! Maybe next year... 4th overall for the weekend, even with a DNF, isn't bad!

mlytle
08-13-2007, 12:24 PM
but who won ITR?

oh, wait, all three of us were at summit point.... nevermind! :eclipsee_steering:

seems like there was some great lap times in ITS! what kind of cars were in the top 5?

Dave Burchfield
08-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Huffmaster - RX7
Smith - RX7
Ehmer - Prelude
Milarcik - RX7
Harding - RX7

Result sheets are still in the motorhome and I am at the office.

3 cars under the existing track record in S.

tom91ita
08-13-2007, 01:30 PM
If that ain't a ringing endorsement, what is?

just keep rubbing it in Tom :mad1:

Seriously, glad to hear the event went well, can't wait to make the sequel!
[/b]

i don't have to. there were about 150 other drivers there that will do that!

TAC
08-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Huffmaster - RX7
Smith - RX7
Ehmer - Prelude
Milarcik - RX7
Harding - RX7

Result sheets are still in the motorhome and I am at the office.

3 cars under the existing track record in S.
[/b]

Saturday Afternoon Race

Kristian Smith .................... 1:42.636
Rob Huffmaster ............. 1:42.817

Sunday Qualifying Race

Brian Ehmer...................... 1:42.588

I think Kristian will have the official record since Brian's was during a "Qualifying" race.

Todd

dominojd
08-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Saturday Afternoon Race

Kristian Smith .................... 1:42.636
Rob Huffmaster ............. 1:42.817

Sunday Qualifying Race

Brian Ehmer...................... 1:42.588

I think Kristian will have the official record since Brian's was during a "Qualifying" race.

Todd
[/b]

So will that Joe Mosers morning track record time of 1:42.9xx will not be official?

R2 Racing
08-13-2007, 04:11 PM
I asked the Chief Steward on Sunday if those new ITS & ITA records were going to stand. He called up the chief of timing and scoring or something and asked them. That person said that since they were set in a "race" that they will stand as official race records. That's what I was told.

Andy Bettencourt
08-13-2007, 04:21 PM
I asked the Chief Steward on Sunday if those new ITS & ITA records were going to stand. He called up the chief of timing and scoring or something and asked them. That person said that since they were set in a "race" that they will stand as official race records. That's what I was told. [/b]

Even though it was technically a qualifier, I still think they should stand as it was an actual race. Congrats to all!

JoshS
08-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Forgive me, I'm sure this was covered in one of the many threads covering this event, but ... this was all on the "pro" course (no chicane before the keyhole), as opposed to the "club" course that uses the chicane?

Just trying to compare times to Runoffs times.

RacerBill
08-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Forgive me, I'm sure this was covered in one of the many threads covering this event, but ... this was all on the "pro" course (no chicane before the keyhole), as opposed to the "club" course that uses the chicane?

Just trying to compare times to Runoffs times.
[/b]

No, we ran the club course.

Dave Burchfield
08-13-2007, 05:54 PM
All on the club course, just as "god had intended it" as someone else had said

jlucas
08-13-2007, 06:13 PM
All on the club course, just as "god had intended it"
[/b]

Amen :OLA:

Dave Burchfield
08-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Jeremy,

Kristen Smith
2005 Runoffs - A Sedan - Pro course - 1:37.9(podium)

2007 - ITS RX7 - club course - 1:42.6

Now that's fast!.......and his dad says he loves the car.........I would too